Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 07:35 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times

Advertisements

Many are moving to Florida, especially the Orlando area, and they're even creeping further north, like Deltona.

There's still a very strong, concentrated presence in the NYCHA projects in Loisaida, and I hear that there's a large population in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

I have heard that some, whose socioeconomic status improved, left Brooklyn and moved to Staten Island, but I don't know if they're concentrated in any particular place.

Queens hasn't had a high PR population. Someone wrote earlier that they're in Jackson Heights. Maybe a few, but this area is more Ecuadorian, Colombian, Mexican, and then as you get into Corona, it's more Dominican.

A lot of people left the city for the safety of the suburbs in the 80s- 90s. It will be interesting to see where those people go once they have empty nests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 08:04 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Many are moving to Florida, especially the Orlando area, and they're even creeping further north, like Deltona.

There's still a very strong, concentrated presence in the NYCHA projects in Loisaida, and I hear that there's a large population in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

I have heard that some, whose socioeconomic status improved, left Brooklyn and moved to Staten Island, but I don't know if they're concentrated in any particular place.

Queens hasn't had a high PR population. Someone wrote earlier that they're in Jackson Heights. Maybe a few, but this area is more Ecuadorian, Colombian, Mexican, and then as you get into Corona, it's more Dominican.

A lot of people left the city for the safety of the suburbs in the 80s- 90s. It will be interesting to see where those people go once they have empty nests.
Florida to retire and die.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Florida to retire and die.
You don't think they'll come back to the 5 boroughs since things are better now?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
You don't think they'll come back to the 5 boroughs since things are better now?
Most come back to visit family and old time friends from what I know. But saying things got better in NYC is laughable and now I assume that you are a Bloomberg supporte. People did not only leave Ny because of crime and decay but also left due to cost of living and quality of life likE poor broken public school system for example. If NYC can improve on thd cost of living, maybe just maybe people would return. Until the grass of prosperity turns brown in FL, TX, AZ, NV, NC, NJ, PA, CT only then these folks will probably move back to NYC, in the meantime from what, I observed, read, listened these folks that moved out are not moving back to NYC. Hell even Resident in my building planning on moving back to PR.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Most come back to visit family and old time friends from what I know. But saying things got better in NYC is laughable and now I assume that you are a Bloomberg supporte. People did not only leave Ny because of crime and decay but also left due to cost of living and quality of life likE poor broken public school system for example. If NYC can improve on thd cost of living, maybe just maybe people would return. Until the grass of prosperity turns brown in FL, TX, AZ, NV, NC, NJ, PA, CT only then these folks will probably move back to NYC, in the meantime from what, I observed, read, listened these folks that moved out are not moving back to NYC. Hell even Resident in my building planning on moving back to PR.
My friends left NYC in the 80s when things were bad (crack era), and for safer neighborhoods to raise their kids in. Some are expressing regrets now because they're priced out. I left too but I returned in the 90s.
Not a Bloomberg supporter at all.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
My friends left NYC in the 80s when things were bad (crack era), and for safer neighborhoods to raise their kids in. Some are expressing regrets now because they're priced out. I left too but I returned in the 90s.
Not a Bloomberg supporter at all.
Close call, reps on that one. But most Ricans I know left for good, they only come to visit, and some do laugh about the coming tide of gentrification coming towards my area, where are people supposed to go if they become priced out?

Old 06-15-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Close call, reps on that one. But most Ricans I know left for good, they only come to visit, and some do laugh about the coming tide of gentrification coming towards my area, where are people supposed to go if they become priced out?
I should say that to move back, their living expenses would rise -- not that they couldn't afford to get a nice co-op somewhere -- but they may opt for lower expenses and stay where they are or leave the area completely.

I have spoken with some friends who have regrets about leaving their culture behind, and their children having little exposure to what they had growing up. But under the circumstances, they probably had to do what they did for the safety of their kids.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:30 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
I would say some are moving back just not to the strong PR hoods anymore... Why would they given the sudden interest in these high crime areas by hipsters... the rents are starting to become just as high in these areas if not higher than other stable diverse working class areas... It's why I've seen a few PR families move back from North Carolina and Florida to Ridgewood but haven't heard of any moving back to Bushwick... The overall trend is right on par with what you're saying though... I was in denial last year when I saw a few families move back but I can definitely see now that while some move back, many are leaving... Who knows though, we get a new mayor that'll actually focus on QOL and helping the middle class in this city as opposed to helping the rich get richer and poor stay poor may actually bring a reverse migration... Only time will tell...

Old 06-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I would say some are moving back just not to the strong PR hoods anymore... Why would they given the sudden interest in these high crime areas by hipsters... the rents are starting to become just as high in these areas if not higher than other stable diverse working class areas... It's why I've seen a few PR families move back from North Carolina and Florida to Ridgewood but haven't heard of any moving back to Bushwick... The overall trend is right on par with what you're saying though... I was in denial last year when I saw a few families move back but I can definitely see now that while some move back, many are leaving... Who knows though, we get a new mayor that'll actually focus on QOL and helping the middle class in this city as opposed to helping the rich get richer and poor stay poor may actually bring a reverse migration... Only time will tell...
I would like them to return, and the middle class blacks too. Having a solid middle class including people of color who are politically active could help improve things, IMO.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:25 PM

84 posts, read 144,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
It feels weird walking down Graham Avenue AKA Avenue of Puerto Rico and seeing nothing but white hipsters walking around.

A lot of stuff on that website is either outdated or simply misleading. It says High for Italian concentration in Manhattan Beach, Brooklyn. A very white area for sure, but it's mostly Russian Jews there, not Italians. It also says that Morris Park is in Queens.

Hey don't worrry about it. There's an 100% accurate article online (Febuary 13, 2013) that proofs that East Williamsburg is a predominantly Puertorican neighborhood (even though the neighborhood White Hipsters are trying to take over).

Just click on the link below to view:
Is Williamsburg Trying to Deny Its Puerto Rican History? | Brooklyn Abridged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City