Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post

As you can see, it is very run down and disgusting.

Actually I have experienced first hand how DISCUSTING it is. One time I brought up going there for my Manhattan friends and they said "Really? Ew thats so gross why would anyone who isn't a guido want to go there?". Its almost as gross as the beaches of Lake Erie which are probibly the most discusting things ever situated near water.

I'll stay on the island away from all the "outdoors" thank you very much. I've hiked mountains in Spain and it didn't do a thing for me.

And how could 47 million people be wrong? Well they aren't me! I could really care less what 47 million people say. I'll stay on my island thanks and let the tacky accent people stay on their main land.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:03 PM

371 posts, read 1,362,276 times
Those New Jersey towns are eons different than Manhattan. People that want to be in Manhattan just wouldn't subject themselves to the PATH on a regular basis. Sure, 30 minutes, but that doesn't count the time it would take you to walk or bike or drive to the PATH if you're not within a few blocks of it (which I bet is more costly area), then the time it takes you to WAIT for the PATH, then the time it takes you to get on the subway in midtown Manhattan to get to where ever in Manhattan you are actually trying to get because you're not really going to 40-something street all the time.

People that want to live in Manhattan don't want to live in the suburbs ... they want to live in Manhattan, so they do, at whatever cost.

Anyway, New Jersey's just new jersey and if you like that, you'll live there or anywhere else. But there's only one Manhattan and you can only truly live there if you live there. Plenty of people like the quiet of Jersey suburbs when they're done hanging out in the city and that's fine. Hanging out is hanging out ... lving is living. Two completely different things.

I currently live in a suburb and it takes me an hour to get to the city. I like it that way now that I'm out of my 20's and done living the city life. So I get how many in New Jersey feel about not wanting to be in the city all the time. But to say that it's just as well to live in Jersey if you DO want to live in the city is madness LOL

Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Quote:
ohiogirl22Actually I have experienced first hand how DISCUSTING it is. One time I brought up going there for my Manhattan friends and they said "Really? Ew thats so gross why would anyone who isn't a guido want to go there?". Its almost as gross as the beaches of Lake Erie which are probibly the most discusting things ever situated near water.
Funny, you call the Shore DISGUSTING, with out actually visting.

So, I guess all French people are just sissys, who sit in cafes and talk about Americans - unless the Germens are coming. Yeah, the "Guidos" totally over ran Cape May, Ocean City, Bradley Beach, The Wildwoods, etc.

Quote:
I'll stay on the island away from all the "outdoors" thank you very much. I've hiked mountains in Spain and it didn't do a thing for me.
What Island, are you talking about? Borneo Cuba? Iceland?

Again, what does that has to do with people, who actully choice the outdoors, over an urban area?

Quote:
And how could 47 million people be wrong? Well they aren't me! I could really care less what 47 million people say. I'll stay on my island thanks and let the tacky accent people stay on their main land.

Ah, based on that, I assume you're talking about the isle of Mannahatta. If you ever clicked on the link, it was about tourisim in New York City, an city that includes Manhattan. Mod cut: not necessaryas we all know, the whole word stops after the Hudson River.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-25-2009 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Not necessary.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:21 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Funny, you call the Shore DISGUSTING, with out actually visting.

So, I guess all French people are just sissys, who sit in cafes and talk about Americans - unless the Germens are coming. Yeah, the "Guidos" totally over ran Cape May, Ocean City, Bradley Beach, The Wildwoods, etc.

I SAID I HAVE BEEN THERE! You must of missed it? And I am sure all of the french are flocking to NJ becasue it is so much better than the beaches in the south of fance.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
Manhattan all day! and i love Jersey. no matter how close you are, there's the hassle of getting into the city. you definitely need a car for most towns in NJ. I lived in Ft. Lee where you can spit and hit the west side highway. regardless, it was a hassle getting in and out (it could take 10 mins or 2 hours), then there's parking, etc..

recently, i stayed at the Ft Lee Hilton due to a reasonable room rates and free parking. we planned to just take a local private cab in. they charged us $60 to get to midtown and said it was a great deal LOL!!
Take the jitney van across the gwb for $1.25, then catch the A or 1 to...wherever. Alternatively, walk the gwb, then catch the subway.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,772,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
It's hilarious to hear NY'ers talk about NJ with such a pleasant superiority, back handed complements & all of that (especially outer borough types).
I hate to burst your bubble guys, but many NJ residents view NYC as a box of toys to open up when they choose & put under the bed when they don't want to play with it.
That is the extent of NYC for many in NJ. Simple as that.
And I hate to burst your bubble, but many New York residents view NJ as........nothing. Nobody in Manhattan thinks about New Jersey. Nobody in Manhattan goes to New Jersey either. I'm pretty sure Manhattan wishes New Jersey would permanently put the city under their bed and never bring it out again.

New Jersey revolves around New York.

Last edited by Americanboy; 08-26-2009 at 12:14 AM..

Old 08-26-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Actually I have experienced first hand how DISCUSTING it is. One time I brought up going there for my Manhattan friends and they said "Really? Ew thats so gross why would anyone who isn't a guido want to go there?". Its almost as gross as the beaches of Lake Erie which are probibly the most discusting things ever situated near water.

I think he thinks you think Manhattan isn't exciting when I'm guessing you meant Jersey Shore isn't exciting. Manhattan has 47 million annual visitors, not NJ.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:15 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
First, to make that trip in under 30 minutes with regularity, you'd have to live within walking distance of a PATH train, or to a NJ Transit Bus and live rather close to the city. Outside that parameter you're talking a longer commute.

Second, most people who live in Manhattan have zero desire to live a suburban lifestyle. So noise and crowds are not a factor. In fact, crowds are the reason they live here. Noise is just part of the cost for some. The rest can afford to live high and above the noise. They have the capability to insulate themselves from much of the vagaries of living in Manhattan.

Third, the reality of this may shock you, but 50% (or perhaps a greater majority) of the residents of Manhattan are considered well-to-do, or downright wealthy. So expense is NOT a factor; meaning they're not going to live somewhere just because its cheaper. Most people in Manhattan earn in excess of $100K, and you'd be astonished at the percentage that earn over $500K. In most cities, the percentage of people of such income would be in the single digits, and in a majority of cases below 1%. In Manhattan, the percentage is in the double digits and I would say near 40%, and is probably greater. So, again, expense is of small consideration.

Lastly, the average suburban middle-class perception of life, is not applicable to NYC. No matter your age, no one lives in Manhattan to 'stay home and cook every night' and/or to 'fall asleep in front of the TV'. Here people tend to go out to eat each night at all manner of restaurants, and entertain themselves at all manner of venues, several times per week. (You'd be hardpressed to find a mini-van or soccer balls! )

Also, most of the people I've described, don't live in Manhattan 24/7/365, they have second (vacation) homes, which they visit regularly and extensively. A large majority travel regularly for business and pleasure; and have the money and freedom to go and come as they choose, or their business allows. I know a number of people who will hop over to London on a whim just for the weekend. They hop back and forth like you take the bus over the George Washington Bridge.

New York is an extra-ordinary place with extra-ordinary people, and applying ordinary considerations to it and them just isn't applicable.

Finally, generally, the folk of lessor income and lifestyle who live in Manhattan, do so in hopes of becoming like those I've described above. Proximity can be a necessity, particularly if you're living and working in ambition! In NYC, the level of average ambition exceeds virtually everywhere.
jcoltrane, you work in the legal field, right? Surely, you understand that you are throwing those "most's" around loosely. The per capita income of residents of manhattan was $42,900, according to the 2000 US Census. This is certainly high for an urban and is astonishing considering the fact that twenty percent of the population lives below the poverty line. There are a lot of people in NYCHA, in rent-stabilized housing throughout the borough, living in shelters, and living four to a bedroom in some small, scummy apartment. Sometimes it feels like manhattan north of 125th, or whereever one wants to draw the line, is more forgotten than even NJ.

As for the folks of lesser income, I'd just like to make the point that I've met plenty of young women (I was a single guy in his early 20's when I still lived up there) who are living tourists in manhattan. They don't really aspire to be much more than "hot" the next time they are going out. It's sort of a silly point, given how many early-twenties' somethings are killing themselves in the firms all over the island (or, better yet, starting their own firms!), but something about it struck me as too ideal for what I've seen out there.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:18 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustfundhipster View Post
And I hate to burst your bubble, but many New York residents view NJ as........nothing. Nobody in Manhattan thinks about New Jersey. Nobody in Manhattan goes to New Jersey either. Manhattan wishes New Jersey would permanently put Manhattan under their bed and never bring it out again.

New Jersey revolves around New York.
Okay................... But my point still remains.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
jcoltrane, you work in the legal field, right? Surely, you understand that you are throwing those "mosts" around loosely. The per capita income of residents of manhattan was $42,900, according to the US Census Bureau. This is certainly high for an urban and is astonishing considering the fact that twenty percent of the population lives below the poverty line. There are a lot of people in NYCHA, in rent-stabilized housing throughout the borough, living in shelters, and living four to a bedroom in some small, scummy apartment.

Sometimes it feels like manhattan north of 125th, or whereever one wants to draw the line, is more forgotten than even NJ.
Um, no. You are wrong.

April 2009 by the Department of Commerce

Per Capita Income

1 Teton, Wyoming $132,728
2 New York, New York (Manhattan) $120,790
3 Loving, Texas $99,593
4 Pitkin, Colorado $93,465
5 Marin, California $91,483
6 Fairfield, Connecticut $81,576
7 Westchester, New York $74,878
8 San Mateo, California $71,753
9 Morris, New Jersey $71,713
10 San Francisco, California $71,342
11 Somerset, New Jersey $70,949
12 Alexandria City, Virginia $70,632
13 Arlington, Virginia $68,270
14 Fairfax, Virginia $67,909
15 Montgomery, Maryland $67,525
16 Bergen, New Jersey $67,125
17 Hunterdon, New Jersey $66,449
18 Sully, North Dakota $64,352
19 Blaine, Idaho $64,207
20 Collier, Florida $63,276
21 Nassau, New York $62,981
22 District of Columbia $62,484
23 Norfolk, Massachusetts $62,129
24 Montgomery, Pennsylvania $62,086
25 Martin, Florida $61,868
26 Sublette, Wyoming $61,411
27 Monroe, Florida $61,216
28 Santa Clara, California $60,107
29 Ozaukee, Wisconsin $60,059
30 Indian River, Florida $59,419

And it's wise to note that New York County is by far the largest out of anything on that list. The number #1 County is Teton Wyoming with a population 18,000 with no "poor people" while New York County is large 1,700,000 people which also includes the lower-income and poor people on the northern end of island and still manages to make it to the very top of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City