Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:31 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Look, people are going to do what's best for their families in the end. As seen with that Jamaican couple who asked about the Bronx, I told them they should move to the suburbs where they can provide a better life for their son.

It's not about Black/White/Rican. It's the animals that have made their areas inhabitable. I would move to St Albans/Cambria Heights in a heartbeat, irregardless of how Black it is.

How come you sit here and cry about how horrible life is in the ghetto and yet when anyone tries anything to change it you automatically swoop into this "The Man is coming down on us" mode.

Scatman is right, It's AA/Ricans destroying race realtions. You, being Black/Rican, of all people, should be able to see the positive changes minority communites have made over the last 15 years. Not to mention the fine work of the NYPD. I would gladly rasie my kids in an AA community, as long as it's safe and clean. Get over the past and start seeing race for what it is. A ****ing color.

And BTW, stop boo-hooing about White people moving in. You sound like George Wallace.
Haha, no one is crying. No one is blaming the man.

I don't give a **** about diversity or segregation. Who honestly cares if a community is mixed, or all Black/White. I don't.

Positive changes? What positive changes? Swiss Banks and Luxury buildings like Scatman parades around all proud of? That doesn't help the community, that encourages gentrification. Displacement. The guy goes around all proud of this insignificant bull****, trying to act all "pro Black". That's great, I wonder how he would feel if those areas were not Black at all. Those developments are not aimed at the low income Black population of Harlem. They are aimed at White yuppies with money.

I see the same problems today I saw growing up. Trust me, I interact a whole lot with the low income community of this city. When was the last time you have been in a homeless shelter? The last time you had to hear problems from many different people, problems that are on going and never go away. Not much has changed for the low income population of NYC. It's all visual. Makeup.

Your very ignorant towards the problems in these communities. You may have been born in NYC, but you are just as far away from the poor Black/Latin communities as any yuppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Haha, no one is crying. No one is blaming the man.

I don't give a **** about diversity or segregation. Who honestly cares if a community is mixed, or all Black/White. I don't.

Positive changes? What positive changes? Swiss Banks and Luxury buildings like Scatman parades around all proud of? That doesn't help the community, that encourages gentrification. Displacement. The guy goes around all proud of this insignificant bull****, trying to act all "pro Black". That's great, I wonder how he would feel if those areas were not Black at all. Those developments are not aimed at the low income Black population of Harlem. They are aimed at White yuppies with money.

I see the same problems today I saw growing up. Trust me, I interact a whole lot with the low income community of this city. When was the last time you have been in a homeless shelter? The last time you had to hear problems from many different people, problems that are on going and never go away. Not much has changed for the low income population of NYC. It's all visual. Makeup.

Your very ignorant towards the problems in these communities. You may have been born in NYC, but you are just as far away from the poor Black/Latin communities as any yuppy.
And so becuase your poor and in the ghetto, we should simply let all of you simmer and destroy some of the world's most valuble real estate? I don't think so. Wanna get out? Go to school. Get a job. Move someplace cheaper.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:21 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
and now it starts!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:35 AM

564 posts, read 1,726,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I would feel the same way if I lived in Bay Ridge and half my neighborhood started looking like Beiruit.
Little Beiruit would be cool. Lebanese people are pretty nice, have a good culture that even third generation Lebanese don't forget, and cook very good food. They're like the Greek in Astoria and the Italians back in the day, only smaller. Many look like them too, but I guess it's a Mediterranean thing. And they're not all immigrants, as some I know have American ancesteors going back to 1870.

Quote:
Oddly the Bronx has shown an increase in the it's PR population.
Lie of the century. Dominicans and Mexicans are growing in the Bronx, but the PR population is continuing its decline that started 5+ years ago.

Last edited by Freak; 08-14-2007 at 06:47 AM..

Old 08-14-2007, 09:50 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Dominicans and Mexicans are growing in the Bronx, but the PR population is continuing its decline that started 5+ years ago.
....as confirmed from Census data, plus my thesis interview with Prof. Hector Cordero-Guzman of Baruch.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Lie of the century. Dominicans and Mexicans are growing in the Bronx, but the PR population is continuing its decline that started 5+ years ago.
I cannot back my claims right now, but I did read something that informed me the Puerto Rican population in the Bronx slightly grew. Yes the overall PR population is shrinking in NYC, negative net population growth but in the Bronx it seems to be slightly growing. I think it has to do with the amount of new low income housing in the Bronx and PR's relocating from areas like East Harlem that are seeing population shifts (East Harlem is turning Mexican minus the housing projects).

Old 08-15-2007, 01:19 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I cannot back my claims right now, but I did read something that informed me the Puerto Rican population in the Bronx slightly grew. Yes the overall PR population is shrinking in NYC, negative net population growth but in the Bronx it seems to be slightly growing. I think it has to do with the amount of new low income housing in the Bronx and PR's relocating from areas like East Harlem that are seeing population shifts (East Harlem is turning Mexican minus the housing projects).
The commonwealth of Pennsylvania might have a say with regard to the Puerto Ricans (see Poconos) and may have a say in the future regarding the Dominicans (see Reading).

Old 08-15-2007, 06:33 AM

314 posts, read 492,279 times
Quote:
Little Beiruit would be cool. Lebanese people are pretty nice, have a good culture that even third generation Lebanese don't forget, and cook very good food. They're like the Greek in Astoria and the Italians back in the day, only smaller. Many look like them too, but I guess it's a Mediterranean thing. And they're not all immigrants, as some I know have American ancesteors going back to 1870.

Let's talk about bay ridge, since from what i've seen, i'm the only person here who lives there. first, from what i've seen, the total population in the neighborhood is up. second, i don't know if the white population is down or not. it doesn't seem like there are fewer total white people here. however, there are definitely more arab and hispanic people here than there used to be. third, the area is changing to reflect the new demographic. i just saw that the comedy club on 3rd ave. (96 st.) closed and will be replaced by a mediterranian/turkish joint.

i'm not really sure how i feel about all of it. i definitely agree with the posters here who write that white people need to stop being so easily pushed out. i've always argued that on here....have some pride, be a responsible citizen, have kids, discipline them, send them to public schools, etc. that is how neighborhoods plant roots and develop true character. having said that, the newcomers here seem to behave well. i don't see groups of stick-up kids prowling the corner stores or see ethnic flags draped over the sides of buildings (yes; i find it just as dispicable when the ginzos in howard beach do it). and, i feel that arab and hispanic cultures place a strong emphasis on raising disciplined kids with good social values. obviously, some don't live up to expectation, but at least the cultures on the whole still stress family and haven't resigned themselves to allowing their kids to raise themselves while the welfare moms get all up in the club. at any rate, i'll take them over yuppies like the one who posted here earlier. you don't even have your own race behind you, bro....we dislike your breed just as much as those 'undesirables' that you seek to distance yourself from. your day of reckoning is close at hand.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 AM

564 posts, read 1,726,679 times
Quote:
Let's talk about bay ridge, since from what i've seen, i'm the only person here who lives there. first, from what i've seen, the total population in the neighborhood is up. second, i don't know if the white population is down or not. it doesn't seem like there are fewer total white people here. however, there are definitely more arab and hispanic people here than there used to be. third, the area is changing to reflect the new demographic. i just saw that the comedy club on 3rd ave. (96 st.) closed and will be replaced by a mediterranian/turkish joint.
Arabs, especially the Syrian and Lebanese, are Caucasian or White. Arab isn't one of Earth's races.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
What I don't like is the double standard:

100% Non-White = Diverse
100% White = racist

PR are moving to where they can find better living conditions and I don't blame them. Hustla obviously thinks people of color improving their lives via migration is a horrible thing. So what if Harlem goes from Black to White. Harlem used to be Jewish, nobody bitched about them leaving.

I think we've been brainwashed by the media to accept what is "diversity" and what is not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City