U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,267,993 times

Advertisements

I notice they use to come out more in the humid summers. Have you been seeing a lot of these in the city. your apts etc?

If you have any creepy water bug stories do tell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 12:57 PM

439 posts, read 699,044 times
This is probably old, but I remember seeing this a long time ago, but it still makes me glad I have never seen anything like this in NYC. Not yet at least...

‪Roaches Invasion in Japanese Subway‬‏ - YouTube

P.S. NOT for the faint of heart

Old 07-23-2011, 02:22 PM

142 posts, read 274,265 times
Although I don't live in the city (Yonkers- but this happened in my hometown, Mt. Vernon), I do have a water bug story... I was living in my first apt. with a roommate who was away for the weekend when I found a huge nasty reddish-colored waterbug right in the corner where the bathroom ceiling meets the wall. We had no bug spray since we never had a bug problem before. I had no idea how to kill it without bug spray so I ended up using Scrubbin Bubbles or some kind of spray cleaner, after I put on army boots, a hat, and long sleeves so the critter wouldn't fall on me lol.... the freakin thing FLEW right off the wall across the bathroom and I buried it under newspaper until I was brave enough to throw it out... ugh those things are nasty. Thank God I don't have them here but they were around a lot in the building I grew up in.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:15 PM

6,697 posts, read 6,793,853 times
Nope. That's why I use a professional exterminator.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,346,315 times
When I lived near the Williamsburg waterfront south of Broadway, with roomates. They would enter somehow and I hated them, feared them, the look of them, how huge and elevated off the wall and ground they are with their many legs. Usually found more so in the bathroom where it was even more humid during the summers, likely got in through old cracks since then the apartment wasn't fully renovated. I saw a few fall off the ceiling and onto the ground below, you could actually hear them land due to their weight!!! Just gross!

It's even worst if you muster up the courage to roll up an old news paper or any other item that no longer serves the purpose for that matter, and attack one! The plop and this huge glop of puss erupts! Glad I haven't seen any in my last or current apartment.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 PM

48 posts, read 77,207 times
Ugh, these things suck. I've only had one in my house in the past year, luckily, but that was enough to disgust me for a month. They make hideous noises, run faster than almost anything, and if you do happen to catch and kill them you have to clean up all the guts.

I mostly have centipedes now which look equally nasty, but they are dumb as bricks and not as much of a nuisance. Also, they clean up othet bugs around the house, whereas the water bugs just eat all the crap you left behind

Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 AM

902 posts, read 1,770,951 times
Yep Superchic, they've been a few in my apartment lobby. I just saw a huge one crawling up the wall this past Saturday.

And I hate stepping on the smaller sized roaches since I was a child let alone those monsters.

I was talking to one neighbor in the building one time and there was one running in our direction, I started squealing like a little kid. She just nonchalantly stepped on it with no problem and I could hear it crunch under her shoe. ooow

For you people that don't have a problem stepping on roaches, did you know that their eggs can stick to the bottom of your shoe which can hatch once you get home.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 AM

40,059 posts, read 27,363,086 times
The creepiest waterbug story I know happened to me when I was a kid--I wasn't more than six or seven at the time. One night, I had just gone to bed when one of those monsters crawled right across my pillow, in front of my face. I swatted it off the bed...and spent the next I-don't-know-how-many-months with the covers pulled up over my head.

Incidentally, I grew up calling them by the word zhuk, which my grandmother used all the time. I believe that word is Russian for "bug," although when we used it in my house, we used it for the specific gigantic waterbug.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,703,525 times
I hate the flying roaches. I get a lot of them in my house.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:03 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,222,207 times
I hate water bugs and has anyone ever been in Florida and seen those palmetto bugs?? Those things are like water bugs on steroids. I remember I had one in my hotel room last time I was in Miami and it disappeared before we had a chance to kill it. I couldn't sleep the rest of the time I was there, the thing was just MASSIVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City