Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:01 PM

12 posts, read 24,472 times

Advertisements

So, cards on the table - my girlfriend and I are looking to move to New York. We need to live somewhere with convenient access to Fordham University for her PhD program, and jobs for me. We've been looking at areas of the Bronx like Kingsbridge, Riverdale, Woodlawn, Norwood, maybe the other side of the Zoo? Also places like Marble Hill, Inwood/ Washington Heights, and Harlem. Midtown or anywhere else in Manhattan would be fine as long as its not too inconvenient to Fordham. Chelsea and the Village seem to be way out of our price range. We don't have a lot of money, so we need somewhere affordable, but we're really looking for safety too. We're both willing to pay a little more for safety, within reason.

The most affordable areas seem to be right around Fordham, but we've been a little apprehensive about it. I've lived in a small town my entire life. I grew up in San Diego, CA, and we've been at college on the Main Line outside Philly. I'm comfortable walking around Manhattan and parts of Philly, but that's about the extent of my city savvy. My girlfriend is more comfortable than I am. I know I will need to get a thicker skin, and will just get used to things, but I am still concerned about safety.

Any recommendations? Insights on the areas I mentioned or other suggestions? In terms of safety, I'm looking for somewhere I'd feel safe walking home from the subway possibly late at night (since I don't know what my hours will be). Being able to walk down the street holding my girlfriend's hand sometime without fear would be nice too. I don't mean to suggest that it would be a problem. I really don't know either way, so I'm asking.

Any info is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 01:29 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,560,072 times
You should visit the neighborhoods you are considering.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:39 PM

205 posts, read 506,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceUnderhill View Post
So, cards on the table - my girlfriend and I are looking to move to New York. We need to live somewhere with convenient access to Fordham University for her PhD program, and jobs for me. We've been looking at areas of the Bronx like Kingsbridge, Riverdale, Woodlawn, Norwood, maybe the other side of the Zoo? Also places like Marble Hill, Inwood/ Washington Heights, and Harlem. Midtown or anywhere else in Manhattan would be fine as long as its not too inconvenient to Fordham. Chelsea and the Village seem to be way out of our price range. We don't have a lot of money, so we need somewhere affordable, but we're really looking for safety too. We're both willing to pay a little more for safety, within reason.

The most affordable areas seem to be right around Fordham, but we've been a little apprehensive about it. I've lived in a small town my entire life. I grew up in San Diego, CA, and we've been at college on the Main Line outside Philly. I'm comfortable walking around Manhattan and parts of Philly, but that's about the extent of my city savvy. My girlfriend is more comfortable than I am. I know I will need to get a thicker skin, and will just get used to things, but I am still concerned about safety.

Any recommendations? Insights on the areas I mentioned or other suggestions? In terms of safety, I'm looking for somewhere I'd feel safe walking home from the subway possibly late at night (since I don't know what my hours will be). Being able to walk down the street holding my girlfriend's hand sometime without fear would be nice too. I don't mean to suggest that it would be a problem. I really don't know either way, so I'm asking.

Any info is much appreciated!
LOL..oh boy you got a death wish or something. Stay in Cali. srs. you just picked all the worst hoods.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
You should visit the neighborhoods you are considering.
We have been up once already and we're going to look around again tomorrow, but there's only so much you can see/ experience in a few days of visiting. While first impressions are important, what its like to live somewhere runs deeper than that, so I was hoping to hear about them from people with more experience.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:59 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,004,373 times
OP read this thread:

Inwood East of Broadway (Dominican Side) Changing?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback1983 View Post
LOL..oh boy you got a death wish or something. Stay in Cali. srs. you just picked all the worst hoods.
No, actually, I don't. I don't live in CA right now, I live in Philly - CA is too expensive. And my girlfriend is not going to walk away from a PhD program, so we're moving to NYC. Telling me to stay out = not helpful. Can you tell me why those areas are not good? I've generally heard good things about places like Riverdale, Marble Hill, and Woodlawn, at least in terms of relative safety. Or suggestions of places to look that are not the worst places but we might be able to afford?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:03 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,437,956 times
Check out Pelham parkway in the Bronx, about a 10-15 minute bus ride to Fordham U, and a 40-45 minute train ride into Manhattan, plus it's a pretty safe area, and affordable..

Old 07-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Check out Pelham parkway in the Bronx, about a 10-15 minute bus ride to Fordham U, and a 40-45 minute train ride into Manhattan, plus it's a pretty safe area, and affordable..
Thanks, I'll add that to our list

I forgot to mention Morningside, any opinions on that area? We're also looking at an apt in Morris Park tomorrow.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:12 PM

Found an apartment on University Ave and 190 St in the Bronx. Would that be a bad idea? I read somewhere on here a recommendation to stay away from University Ave, but it was from several years ago. Does that advice still stand?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:17 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,494,946 times
What's your budget like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City