Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:29 PM

200 posts, read 324,219 times

Advertisements

I visited a friend out in Queens a couple of weeks ago & coming home I took the bus to Flushing to take another bus back to where I live in the Bronx. As I was on my way to Flushing I passed by LaGuardia Airport. I Became SO EXCITED about my trip to Nashville (I'm a musician & am exploring other music scenes) that I'm going to this Oct. I've been to Nashville b/f & Arizona, etc. & whenever I arrive @ Nashville, Arizona, Chicago's Airports they seem SOOOO....etc. CLEAN & WARM w/ WIDE AIRY OPEN SPACES to go into. I know that LaGuardia Only has 2 RUNWAYS & is listed w/ low ratings as 1 of the worst Airports in the country. Matter of fact, whenever I go to LaGuardia when I'm GOING ON a trip (Nashville, etc.) OR when I'm COMING BACK from a trip it can be Really Depressing going Thru the Airport.

Tho' funny thing I saw somewhere was that there was some H.S. students playing a couple of Jazz pieces IN THE AIRPORT. Go figure!! It's about time someone thought of this idea here! When you go to "Baines" Nashville's Airport there are places (cafe's, etc.) that Songwriters, Musicians, Artists, etc. PLAY in.

So, Why can't LaGuardia have something friendly like that? NYC has a rep for having a Diversity of MUSIC & (tho' I did see on the news that they're planning to have some Art paintings on the walls if they already haven't, but)

Wouldn't that be Great to have in LaGuardia instead of that "Oh, God!! I DRED going thru this airport" feeling?

I saw somewhere that in Nashville's airport travelers always get an opportunity to enjoy chilling out & seeing a performance after they get off the plane OR when they wait for their flight. Plus, would you believe that the article that I saw from this info. said that "Travelers HOPE to get a FLIGHT DELAY so they can Enjoy watching & listening to a Performance"?! Just imagine having an airport w/ FLIGHT DELAYS W/ a performance that you could Chill Out & watch & listen to WHILE you're Waiting??!!

Oh, & BTW, are they still talking about "RENOVATING"??

Why can't they MODERNIZE It (Terminals, etc.)? (@ least)

I'm sorry, but compared to the airports that I referred to ("Baines" in Nashville, "Chicago O'Hare" in Chicago & "Sky Harbor" in Arizona) this airport is DIRTY w/ OLD Terminals & NO Wide Open & Airy Spaces. I hope they do something w/ this airport. It's a shame that NYC is a Great place w/ a Sucky Airport (what does this say about our City when Travelers or Foreigners come over here to Visit NYC) which seems like an Unfriendly - i.e. NOT WELCOMING (that is Not Clean, Old Terminals, No Wide Open & Airy Spaces, etc.) airport whereas when you walk into "Baines" (Nashville) Airport it's More Friendlier - i.e.Welcoming w/ the Cleansiness, Modern Terminals w/ Wide Open & Airy Spaces.

Can anyone share their (answers to the questions above or) insights w/ me (I hope I'm not offending anyone on my opinions.)? I'm open to any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 08:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
LGA, NWK & Kennedy all suck

Old 07-24-2011, 09:19 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default LGA a small space

How can an airport be friendly? It is a building and you can't be friends with a building. Only people can be friendly. People don't really want to see performers in public-people in NY associate this with panhandling - sort of like a squeegee man with a musical instrument. The airport is a place of order and not a place for panhandling or squeegee men.

LGA's central terminal has been renovated extensively. It is the best airport in the New York area- especially the central terminal. Compare what it looks like now to the early 1980's and you will see that LGA is much improved. Back in 1981 there were dozens of hobos that used to sleep/beg/smell/live right in LGA! It was like the port authority bus terminal with DC-9s. The reason that LGA is compact is due to LGA was built in the 1930's when planes were small and they did not need much room. Since LGA is so small -with restricted airspace due to the proximity of JFK/EWR/HPN- yet busy when the weather goes down it gets real ugly with delays. Nashville is an American place with tons of room, they could have built that place as big as they wanted to it aint all that busy to bad weather there does not affect ops too much.

Nashville has a huge music industry, for them it is one of their cultural and economic cornerstones. New York has a music industry but it is a minor economic afterthought. In New York banking runs the show and is the main industry that drives the economy. At LGA expect to see ruling class suits engaged with electronics working on banking business or other forms of usury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by certaincircles View Post
I visited a friend out in Queens a couple of weeks ago & coming home I took the bus to Flushing to take another bus back to where I live in the Bronx. As I was on my way to Flushing I passed by LaGuardia Airport. I Became SO EXCITED about my trip to Nashville (I'm a musician & am exploring other music scenes) that I'm going to this Oct. I've been to Nashville b/f & Arizona, etc. & whenever I arrive @ Nashville, Arizona, Chicago's Airports they seem SOOOO....etc. CLEAN & WARM w/ WIDE AIRY OPEN SPACES to go into. I know that LaGuardia Only has 2 RUNWAYS & is listed w/ low ratings as 1 of the worst Airports in the country. Matter of fact, whenever I go to LaGuardia when I'm GOING ON a trip (Nashville, etc.) OR when I'm COMING BACK from a trip it can be Really Depressing going Thru the Airport.

Tho' funny thing I saw somewhere was that there was some H.S. students playing a couple of Jazz pieces IN THE AIRPORT. Go figure!! It's about time someone thought of this idea here! When you go to "Baines" Nashville's Airport there are places (cafe's, etc.) that Songwriters, Musicians, Artists, etc. PLAY in.

So, Why can't LaGuardia have something friendly like that? NYC has a rep for having a Diversity of MUSIC & (tho' I did see on the news that they're planning to have some Art paintings on the walls if they already haven't, but)

Wouldn't that be Great to have in LaGuardia instead of that "Oh, God!! I DRED going thru this airport" feeling?

I saw somewhere that in Nashville's airport travelers always get an opportunity to enjoy chilling out & seeing a performance after they get off the plane OR when they wait for their flight. Plus, would you believe that the article that I saw from this info. said that "Travelers HOPE to get a FLIGHT DELAY so they can Enjoy watching & listening to a Performance"?! Just imagine having an airport w/ FLIGHT DELAYS W/ a performance that you could Chill Out & watch & listen to WHILE you're Waiting??!!

I'm sorry, but compared to the airports that I referred to ("Baines" in Nashville, "Chicago O'Hare" in Chicago & "Sky Harbor" in Arizona) this airport is DIRTY w/ OLD Terminals & NO Wide Open & Airy Spaces. I hope they do something w/ this airport. It's a shame that NYC is a Great place w/ a Sucky Airport (what does this say about our City when Travelers or Foreigners come over here to Visit NYC) which seems like an Unfriendly - i.e. NOT WELCOMING (that is Not Clean, Old Terminals, No Wide Open & Airy Spaces, etc.) airport whereas when you walk into "Baines" (Nashville) Airport it's More Friendlier - i.e.Welcoming w/ the Cleansiness, Modern Terminals w/ Wide Open & Airy Spaces.

Can anyone share their (answers to the questions above or) insights w/ me (I hope I'm not offending anyone on my opinions.)? I'm open to any feedback.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Lga and jfk all suck. But lga is the worse, its filthy, dirty noisy especially outside with cars honking, constant flight delays, lga is next to a prison, and? Planes flying towards and from lga causes noise for bronx and queens residence. The only thing i like about lga is the proximity, it takes me less then ten minutes to get to lga by cab from mott haven in the Bronx.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Samyn on the green

1) "It was like the port authority bus terminal with DC-9s. The reason that LGA is compact is due to LGA was built in the 1930's when planes were small and they did not need much room. "

Ok, so Now I understand why LGA has SMALL Runways.

2) "People don't really want to see performers in public-people in NY associate this with panhandling - sort of like a squeegee man with a musical instrument."

I thought NYC was Known to Have CULTURE Diff. Kinds of Music, Art, etc. So, I guess NYC isn't the place w/ Culture anymore! NYC USED to be that HIP Town where people used to go to Greenwich Village to see Bands, Artists, or go to Lincoln Ctnr. to see a Symphonic Orchestra & now You may be right after all NYC is ALL About REAL ESTATE!! This is VERY DISAPPOINTING that it has come down to the Only Musicians that NYC has are the "PANHANDLERS" who Promote their Music in Subways just to Sell their DEMO CD so you can Find Out where they play BESIDES in Subway Stations. Yet, @ least in Nashville OR EVEN Austin Musicians play in REAL Places like CAFE'S, etc.

3) "How can an airport be friendly? It is a building and you can't be friends with a building. Only people can be friendly....... The airport is a place of order and not a place for panhandling or squeegee men."

Yes, I understand that an "Airport is a place of order" & "How can an airport be friendly? It is a building and you can't be friends with a building. Only people can be friendly" BUT that Doesn't Mean an Airport can't be Welcoming to Travelers.

Example, if you go to let's say a school (that you're interested in) & when you visit the building you see that it's not kept well, it's dirty (regardless of the limited space of classrooms), lack of facilities, etc. then Would you want to still Go to that school"? How do you know that the People who Run the school REALLY CARE about the biz it's running. Isn't part of their Biz to ATTRACT Prospective Students (or in this case about LGA - To Play a Part of NYC to ATTRACT TRAVELERS Or To REFLECT NYC)?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Bronxguyanese

Yes, that's what I was trying to say that - "But lga is the worse,

its filthy,

dirty noisy especially outside with cars honking,

constant flight delays"

& "lga is next to a prison" That's FUNNY I Never thought of that!! LMAO!!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
I worked there back in the early 90's and there were homeless scattered
throughout both inside and outside, there was one bum who smelled really bad pacing up and down right in front of the shops/restaurants at the terminal.
Not sure how it is today with the renovations and what not.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:

Sorry to break this to you but in the business we call it La Garbage.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:41 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

There's a major modernization of the LGA Central Terminal Building in the works. Architects and planners are already working on it. Don't know if it includes jazz, though.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Pretzelogik,

"Sorry to break this to you but in the business we call it La Garbage."
Pretzelogik, I LOVE YOU!!!

OMG!!! Is That what they call it Now??!! LOL!!! LAMO!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City