Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM

110 posts, read 300,044 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was looking into purchasing a home instead of renting and came across a pretty sweet deal in FHO (renovated, all utilities included in the maintenance, and FHO is pretty nice in deneral). However, after some research about University Heights, I'm a tad wary about moving into the area. It would be great since it's close to the 1, 4, D, and Metro North lines. I also thought it would be a nice place to eventually move out and sublet to Fordham students.

Currently I live further north in the Bronx and used to live in Norwood. Considering the current & future state of the area around Fordham Hill Oval, should I go for the apartment or look elsewhere? Does anyone have experience with living nearby FHO?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 AM

106 posts, read 251,440 times
Is that the complex near Sedgwick avenue?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourthreetwoone View Post
Is that the complex near Sedgwick avenue?
Yeah, the big gated one.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 AM

I didn't know Fordham students rented that far from campus. depending on how much time you have You would probably have to take the 12 bus to get to the D and 4 lines and cross the bridge to get to the 1 metro north is pretty close.
That complex was nice years ago, not sure what it is like now a days.
The surrounding area can be very rough.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moccawaii View Post
Hello all,

I was looking into purchasing a home instead of renting and came across a pretty sweet deal in FHO (renovated, all utilities included in the maintenance, and FHO is pretty nice in deneral). However, after some research about University Heights, I'm a tad wary about moving into the area. It would be great since it's close to the 1, 4, D, and Metro North lines. I also thought it would be a nice place to eventually move out and sublet to Fordham students.

Currently I live further north in the Bronx and used to live in Norwood. Considering the current & future state of the area around Fordham Hill Oval, should I go for the apartment or look elsewhere? Does anyone have experience with living nearby FHO?

Thanks in advance!
Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. There is security at the entrance of the buildings, and as long as you don't go on the side blocks off Fordham rd, you'll be ok.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:24 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourthreetwoone View Post
I didn't know Fordham students rented that far from campus. depending on how much time you have You would probably have to take the 12 bus to get to the D and 4 lines and cross the bridge to get to the 1 metro north is pretty close.
That complex was nice years ago, not sure what it is like now a days.
The surrounding area can be very rough.
Far from the Fordham Campus ??? It's about 10 mins on the BX12.

Why would anyone take the D,4 or metro north to get from Fordham Hill to the Fordham campus?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM

If you read the OP it mentioned those train lines it has nothing to do with the University campus.
maybe they use those lines to go to work, not sure. Just giving them info.

As to the campus I did not know the students ventured out that far into the rugged Bronx. I thought most of them had apts in little Italy across the street.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Thanks, all.

Yeah, I work in Manhattan near the yellow/orange line so it's pretty helpful for me.

As far as Fordham students, most seem to go for a pretty large radius around the campus, including Bedford Park, Norwood, Little Italy, and Pelham Parkway. Considering that this apartment is a bus ride away on the Bx 12, I think (hope, lol) someone would want to jump on it if I subletted.

I'll go and look at the apartment soon. Thanks again everyone

Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 AM

sounds good moccawaii let us know what you think about it when you see it.
Good luck : )

yes the 12 bus goes straight across Fordham Rd

Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,856 times
Fordham Hill Oval itself seems like a solid complex from the outside since it's gated. However, the concerns are outside the complex. Across the street is DeVoe Park, which gets dangerous at night and even worse during the summer with the constant influx of illegal barbecuing, rowdy teens, and the lack of lighting (which makes some worried about passing the park en route to catching the Bx3 or Bx12 buses from the Oval complex or any nearby buildings).

Speaking of catching buses, if you're walking from the Oval, get the Bx12 at Sedgwick Av/Fordham Rd to avoid some of the riff-raff at DeVoe Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City