U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 PM

16 posts, read 14,574 times

Advertisements

fake? I don't see how. I gave tons of information. Who can make that stuff up that fast?

I think he was shook up by the guy who left him, but maybe he didn't feel it was serious enough to go to the police. I can't really answer that. The guy was not (at least I don't think so) a NY'er so I don't know what information my son could give to the police. I just don't know. He gave me the guys license plate number a couple of days ago when he left with him because I demanded it. They were CO plates, but I gave the plate info to someone who does background checks for a living and they couldn't get a hit on the plate. So I don't know what that is all about.

So he was killing time while waiting for his dad to get there (dad is driving from MD to NY), won't be there until around 4am I guess. So decides to show off and get on someones skate board and fell and busted his teeth. That had just happened 5 minutes before he called me. He was asking me what he should do. I told him to ask around for the nearest hospital. I did hear him ask someone. So I don't know if he went or not. I'm waiting for someone to call me and give me an update.

In the meantime I came here just hoping to be reassured that he was in a safe area. I don't think anyone has answered that for me yet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Seems the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
And how did you come up with that one genius? You obviously don't have kids or don't care about anyone but yourself. How about you offer something useful?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,111,504 times
Yes, clearly I care about only myself

Here's the thing. Either it's an emergency or it's not.

We tell you that he should contact the police, since you say it's an emergency.

Your response is that it's not that serious.

Not much else we can say. At 4am? I wouldn't want to be just sitting around anywhere quite frankly. Plus it's a rainy night in NYC.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 PM

2,900 posts, read 4,679,781 times
The area is not the best and not the worst. It is a very populated shopping main street, though I imagine most shops are closed at this time.

It is a largely Dominican/Hispanic area. So, presuming you all to be white, he might stick out a bit, particularly the later it gets.

I hate to say this, but broken teeth or not, your kid appears naturally vulnerable.

Anyway, a bleeding, broken tooth kid probably appears like a homeless person, not a target for the local ruffians.

In any event, you sould have directed your son to call 911!

If you are truly that concerned, perhaps you should call NYC 911 or the local preceint yourself. Or, you could call the Port Authority Police, whose jurisdiction is the bus terminal. Call NYC 411 and ask for the number of the Port Authority Police office at the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 PM

I don't know exactly how serious it is. He says half of his front teeth are missing, yet he was talking really clearly to me. I would think if your missing half of your front teeth you might not be able to talk clearly. I don't know, never been in this situation.

He called me 5 minutes after the teeth thing asking me what to do (wait for his dad or go to hospital?). I said find the nearest hospital. I heard him ask someone where it was. I don't know if he went or not. I do cover him on my insurance and he has his insurance card on him, so that is not a problem. I'm waiting for him to call me back and update me.

In the mean time, I was just hoping he was in a safe area. I've never been to NYC, he has never been, we don't know anyone up there. So I came here hoping someone could confirm that he was in a safe place or tell me where I could tell him to go next time he calls me (if he does).

Old 08-03-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
The area is not the best and not the worst. It is a very populated shopping main street, though I imagine most shops are closed at this time.

It is a largely Dominican/Hispanic area. So, presuming you all to be white, he might stick out a bit, particularly the later it gets.

I hate to say this, but broken teeth or not, your kid appears naturally vulnerable.

Anyway, a bleeding, broken tooth kid probably appears like a homeless person, not a target for the local ruffians.

In any event, you sould have directed your son to call 911!

If you are truly that concerned, perhaps you should call NYC 911 or the local preceint yourself. Or, you could call the Port Authority Police, whose jurisdiction is the bus terminal. Call NYC 411 and ask for the number of the Port Authority Police office at the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal.
Thank you! Your response is very helpful. I will do this.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:33 PM

7,145 posts, read 11,871,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Yes, clearly I care about only myself

Here's the thing. Either it's an emergency or it's not.

We tell you that he should contact the police, since you say it's an emergency.

Your response is that it's not that serious.

Not much else we can say. At 4am? I wouldn't want to be just sitting around anywhere quite frankly. Plus it's a rainy night in NYC.
If he's in a bus terminal, he won't be out in the rain. I had never heard of this bus terminal before, but actually it sounds like it's quite busy, which in my opinion, means that it's safer than someplace that is deserted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/re...enovation.html

Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 PM

1,001 posts, read 868,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonwifey View Post
I don't know exactly how serious it is. He says half of his front teeth are missing, yet he was talking really clearly to me. I would think if your missing half of your front teeth you might not be able to talk clearly. I don't know, never been in this situation.

He called me 5 minutes after the teeth thing asking me what to do (wait for his dad or go to hospital?). I said find the nearest hospital. I heard him ask someone where it was. I don't know if he went or not. I do cover him on my insurance and he has his insurance card on him, so that is not a problem. I'm waiting for him to call me back and update me.

In the mean time, I was just hoping he was in a safe area. I've never been to NYC, he has never been, we don't know anyone up there. So I came here hoping someone could confirm that he was in a safe place or tell me where I could tell him to go next time he calls me (if he does).
Someone else answered your question, anywhere in NYC at night at this hour alone is NEVER a good idea. Maybe a bit more street smarts then hey lets follow some guy then when he is in trouble, MOM! WHAT DO I DO? This isn't emergency help. This is on the same level is how safe is (insert random neighborhood here) posts.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 PM

I also think the story a bit far fetched. Unless we are talking about a gay love affair gone wrong.

If they drove up in the guy's car, then what the heck were they doing at the bus terminal?

You also said he got "beat" up, when he didn't. If you get beat up, you don't get on a skateboard!

Seems like he got roughed up, and gave it up, perhaps in more ways than one.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I had never heard of this bus terminal before, but actually it sounds like it's quite busy....
Not a NYer are you? )

Not sure how busy it is at this time, but its Washington Heights or therebouts, I forget the specific neighborhood name. Same people, same buildings. It is a very dense urban area.

@ the OP,

You might want to check the local hospital, Columbia Prysberterian (sp?) I believe is closest. Give them a call. Once they fix him up, he could wait there for dad.

another thought is if you speak to him, if he can find a way to get to midtown or Times Square, he could check into a hotel. You could call ahead and book a room by phone with your credit card.

The problem w/b getting him downtown safely.

You could wire him some money. Call Western Union and ask for the nearest place in that area, normally a check cashing place.

Btw, another interesting hole in the story, I guess the guy took the kid's money, but why did the guy not take your kid's wallet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City