Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 02:07 PM

213 posts, read 508,748 times

Advertisements

Looking for a nice, fitted suit that won't brake my (lack of) bank.....$100-$200 range. Need it for a wedding on Sunday, obviously would like to use it afterwards for interviews and such. I had checked out Men's Warehouse a couple months back on a whim, and balked at the prices quoted. So far I'm thinking JC Penney or Macy's.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 02:22 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
Looking for a nice, fitted suit that won't brake my (lack of) bank.....$100-$200 range. Need it for a wedding on Sunday, obviously would like to use it afterwards for interviews and such. I had checked out Men's Warehouse a couple months back on a whim, and balked at the prices quoted. So far I'm thinking JC Penney or Macy's.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
1) There are outlets (5th ave) which sell "designer suits for less".
2) Syms
3) Century 21
4) Duffys
5) Jos. A. Bank are always having a sale.

The more difficult part is altering the suit to fit you well. Fitting is crucial with suits.

Last edited by oberon_1; 08-04-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 02:58 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,726 times
If you're looking for a suit that will serve you for more than one occasion (ie, job interviews in addition to the wedding you're attending), then a $200 suit may not work. Perhaps you should consider increasing your investment to, say, $800.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 PM

363 posts, read 817,712 times
Did you try Burlington Coat Factory? They're actually not bad.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
For Sunday, you would need off-the-rack. You might stand a better chance with suit separates, as opposed to finding a tailor who can fit a suit to you. JC Penney sells American Living separates, and per their website, they don't look too bad, especially since American Living is licensed Ralph Lauren company, so there is some line oversight from the main Ralph Lauren Company. You can get a similar look at a more moderate price with such arrangements, though the material will be different, and the fit not customized, but I think it would be a good place to start.

Kohl's has a similarly licensed line, from the same manufacturer, under the Chaps name, that features suit separates. They don't look bad, either, and I have even seen ads with their shirts and suits that look awfully familiar to me, though the fabric patterns may have filtered down a couple of seasons through the lines. Kohl's is in the Newport Center in Jersey City if that's convenient for you.

I know Ralph Lauren Cos. have used similar inspiration in the licensed lines, but that makes sense as it is the same design staff that supervises the licensees, so you the fabric and details may be more mass produced, but the look is very similar. I got a chuckle when I saw a boy wearing a Chaps shirt that was the exact same striped pattern to a polo shirt that I had purchased the previous season at a RL retail store. You really cannot go wrong with a classic look in a trans-seasonal suit for multi-purpose use.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
If you're looking for a suit that will serve you for more than one occasion (ie, job interviews in addition to the wedding you're attending), then a $200 suit may not work. Perhaps you should consider increasing your investment to, say, $800.
I agree. I bought a Jones New York Suit, 2 ties, dress shirt, and shoes for around 400 at Men's Warehouse. They sometimes have good deals so you should try them out again.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:15 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
I wouldn’t consider buying a suit from JC Penney unless you want look like a bank manager at a small branch in Oklahoma. I like J Crew suits. They’re very good quality for the money and you can buy them as separates.

If it’s a one-time deal, you may want to get a classic navy blazer and a grey pair of trousers. With the right tie it would be appropriate for a summer wedding.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:22 PM

213 posts, read 508,748 times
I ended up getting a pretty good Kenneth Cole navy suit (with light stripes) at a Syms for $150, a few alterations on the trousers and it all looked great. Hope it'll hold up for a few more uses until I can get a better one, or a bespoke suit in the future. Thanks for the recommendations ya'll!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:17 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,221 times
Burlington Coat Factory has pretty decent suits, or if you just want an everyday, nothing special kind of suite, try K&G

Old 09-11-2012, 07:22 AM

387 posts, read 680,330 times
Check out K&G. I forget who owns who, but they get Men's Warehouse suits. I have been shopping there forn years & I have been very happy with the look & feel of the suits. K&G has desiner names, ot just generic made in China zoot suits. They always have nice deals & sales going. I just picked up a very nice 2 button last week, they aren't limited in the size department either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City