U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:58 PM

1,536 posts, read 272,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Thats messed up they shot him like that.Is there alot of racial tension there between the Hispanics and African Americans?
It's not too bad between Blacks and Hispanics. It's more just self segregation. Puerto Ricans with PR's. African Americans with AA. Plus the minor hate that comes along with that. Nothing big though, African Americans and Puerto Ricans deal with each other most of the time. Dominicans have more tensions with Blacks and vice versa.

I mentioned the shooting above becuase it almost lead to a riot. The man was a street vendor on E 125th Street in Harlem coming home from a long day at work. He was standing in front of his building when the officers jumped out their unmarked car and approached him to question him, take a look at him. The cops too had a long day. I belive a short time before the shooting they were involved in a small car chase a few blocks away. Suspect disappeared. So they were still a little hype. Nervous, adrenaline pumping. They knew the neighborhood and Diallo matched the description of a violent suspect.

When they did stop Diallo, he got scared, understandable. They were plain clothes, and by the time he realized they were police (white faces, unfamiliar in the area) he wanted to show ID so he wouldn't get locked up for tresspass or whatever he was thinking. So he pulled out his wallet. In reaction, the cops mistook it for a small handgun. One started shooting, then the rest. Before you knew it, 41 shots and when they finally really looked close, no gun.

That's life in the ghetto. It can be short and sometimes even the good people die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 05:27 PM

2,369 posts, read 4,449,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
It's not too bad between Blacks and Hispanics. It's more just self segregation. Puerto Ricans with PR's. African Americans with AA. Plus the minor hate that comes along with that. Nothing big though, African Americans and Puerto Ricans deal with each other most of the time. Dominicans have more tensions with Blacks and vice versa.

I mentioned the shooting above becuase it almost lead to a riot. The man was a street vendor on E 125th Street in Harlem coming home from a long day at work. He was standing in front of his building when the officers jumped out their unmarked car and approached him to question him, take a look at him. The cops too had a long day. I belive a short time before the shooting they were involved in a small car chase a few blocks away. Suspect disappeared. So they were still a little hype. Nervous, adrenaline pumping. They knew the neighborhood and Diallo matched the description of a violent suspect.

When they did stop Diallo, he got scared, understandable. They were plain clothes, and by the time he realized they were police (white faces, unfamiliar in the area) he wanted to show ID so he wouldn't get locked up for tresspass or whatever he was thinking. So he pulled out his wallet. In reaction, the cops mistook it for a small handgun. One started shooting, then the rest. Before you knew it, 41 shots and when they finally really looked close, no gun.

That's life in the ghetto. It can be short and sometimes even the good people die.
Theres alot of good people in the ghetto,thats the sad thing,everyone stereotypes it as being a bunch of thugs,and its not like that.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:42 AM

2,978 posts, read 1,015,602 times
This neighborhood is no less safe than anyother neighborhood in the Bronx (in general). If you look for trouble, or associate with the wrong types, then no matter where you go trouble will always follow. The fact that you are looking in the Bronx market means you are willing to accept a certian level of the "element" in your life, whether it be higher crime, ghetto behavior, etc. Do not be dissuaded from investigating this complex, or anyother new development. The worse that happens is that you choose not to invest there and int he process learned about a new neighborhood.

The naysayers will always exist. They existed in 1990 when they were first building new 2 and 3 family homes in the South Bronx for $85,000. "Not worth it", "Who is gonna pay that", "What a scam" was all you heard back then. Now those that purchased for a measly $5,000 down are sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars because they did not listen to the negativity. The naysayers did not buy or invest then, and they will not buy or invest now. They will continue to live in their housing projects, or subsidized housing, and be negative about everything, while you improve yourself, your financial health, and your community.

Disregard the naysers and negativity. Investigate, research, and invest in something, including somewhere in the Bronx.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:48 AM

242 posts, read 647,296 times
As an investment, why not. To live.... hell no.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:36 AM

Re: Jrock247

Whether you choose to just invest, or make it your home, is irrelevant. The point is that it is worth a look, and should not be disregarded based on the negative rants of someone involved in some way with law enforcement that only knows a life of poverty, crime, and thuggery. Especially because his primary motivation for his negativity, it seems, is to prevent any sort of gentrification/revitalization from taking root in these communities that need human and capital investment.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
This neighborhood is no less safe than anyother neighborhood in the Bronx (in general). If you look for trouble, or associate with the wrong types, then no matter where you go trouble will always follow. The fact that you are looking in the Bronx market means you are willing to accept a certian level of the "element" in your life, whether it be higher crime, ghetto behavior, etc. Do not be dissuaded from investigating this complex, or anyother new development. The worse that happens is that you choose not to invest there and int he process learned about a new neighborhood.

The naysayers will always exist. They existed in 1990 when they were first building new 2 and 3 family homes in the South Bronx for $85,000. "Not worth it", "Who is gonna pay that", "What a scam" was all you heard back then. Now those that purchased for a measly $5,000 down are sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars because they did not listen to the negativity. The naysayers did not buy or invest then, and they will not buy or invest now. They will continue to live in their housing projects, or subsidized housing, and be negative about everything, while you improve yourself, your financial health, and your community.

Disregard the naysers and negativity. Investigate, research, and invest in something, including somewhere in the Bronx.
Your worse then a yuppy... What are you talking about?

How is it worse then better Bronx hoods? A difference in poverty, crime, quality of life. In Soundview, you see people hanging out in front of bodegas and buildings, starting problems with random people. Fights over stares. Gang and drug activity. You don't see that in Country Club or Riverdale. You don't have police doing sweeps or breaking down doors in the AM. You don't have helicopters flying low with search lights waking you up at 2am. There is a big difference between the good and bad areas in the Bronx.

What complex is he talking about? The only complexes in Soundview are subsidized housing complexes. The OP wanted a little knowledge on the criminal history of the neighborhood.

As for those houses, they were and still are a scam. Cheap steps, exterior lights going out, supports on homes built on hills collapsing, door nobs coming off as you pull, kitchens that quickly deteriorated, small, tiny apartments. The townhouses being built are a form of low income housing. Cheaply constructed. They were originally planned for someone to buy and live in them, and rent out the other apartments inside to pay them off. Today though people buy them and live far, far away. Renting them out to locals, many don't even maintain them well. When they were 85,000, it was pricey but not that bad (They are small apartment buildings after all. Today at 300,000 they are a rip off, which is why only outsiders buy for investment and rent them completely out.

Quote:
Re: Jrock247

Whether you choose to just invest, or make it your home, is irrelevant. The point is that it is worth a look, and should not be disregarded based on the negative rants of someone involved in some way with law enforcement that only knows a life of poverty, crime, and thuggery. Especially because his primary motivation for his negativity, it seems, is to prevent any sort of gentrification/revitalization from taking root in these communities that need human and capital investment.
It is relevant. You move somewhere you can have a high quality of life. You don't move into a dump of a neighborhood. You can invest in good and bad areas, but many who do invest in undesireable areas sometimes become slumlords. It's also sometimes difficult to invest in low income areas becuase you don't make as much cash and the locals have a tendancy to ruin things.

I don't know why you think you know me, but you don't. Trust me I know exactly what I am talking about.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:47 AM

I implore those not to take the word of one of the many naysayers that will have you believe that the Iraq war is being fought just north of Manhattan. As a lifelong resident of Mott Haven, there is no doubt that the city, and the bronx, is not pefect, nor a crime-free paradise. However, it is not a war zone with Apache helicopters and fighter jets swarming every 15 minutes. I encourage any and all readers on this board to judge for themselves. What you will find in Soundview is a community like any other in the city, good and bad areas, with good and bad people, with different types of housing to accomodate all.

The naysayers, who often have nothing invested in the community, will only see the negative...we all know these people. Do not subscribe. Judge for yourself.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:03 PM

434 posts, read 1,082,618 times
Quote:
I implore those not to take the word of one of the many naysayers that will have you believe that the Iraq war is being fought just north of Manhattan. As a lifelong resident of Mott Haven, there is no doubt that the city, and the bronx, is not pefect, nor a crime-free paradise. However, it is not a war zone with Apache helicopters and fighter jets swarming every 15 minutes. I encourage any and all readers on this board to judge for themselves. What you will find in Soundview is a community like any other in the city, good and bad areas, with good and bad people, with different types of housing to accomodate all.

The naysayers, who often have nothing invested in the community, will only see the negative...we all know these people. Do not subscribe. Judge for yourself.
First off, Mott Haven has good housing stock and excellent subway service. You may laugh at me for this, but the South Bronx will be good someday.

Soundview is a trudge on the train on a good day. Add in heavy drugs and poverty, and it's much further off.

Hustla has an agenda. He hates whites/rich people and wants everyone to believe NYC makes Baghdad look like Mt Kisco.

In fact, we all have agendas. Weither is Mead's rally against white flight. Hustlas anti-gentrification tirade. Scatman reppin the BK.

Just take everyone's word with a grain of salt.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:11 PM

1,766 posts, read 4,133,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
In fact, we all have agendas. Weither is Mead's rally against white flight. Hustlas anti-gentrification tirade. Scatman reppin the BK.

Just take everyone's word with a grain of salt.
Hoooooooooo! (although I had to buy outside of it!)

Old 08-26-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:

There is a war going on in the streets of ghettos across the USA. It can feel like a warzone at times. Police helicopters on a nightly basis conducting searches for fleeing perps. ESU tanks riding up pathways in public housing projects to assist drug bust. Gunfire between dealers and people having disputes. AK-47's, .45's, .38's, .22's, .357's, sawed off shotguns, ect, ect, ect. Couple weeks ago grenades were recovered around Fordham Road. Sometimes innocents are killed, seriously injuried or do time. Sometimes innocents must make choices that will land them in prison or death.

You are naive if you think the war on drugs, the war on crime is any less violent then any political or religious conflict.

The best thing someone can do is avoid this never ending conflict claiming thousands of Black and Latino youth across the country every year. It finds away to drag you down.

I have no "hate whitey" agenda. Before I was accused of hating Blacks. Now Whites? My only agenda is not seeing people stuck in **** areas that will put them at risk or getting ripped off becuase this city doesn't deserve a penny.

If you want to invest in a low income area, do what you have to. Buy a home and rent it out. Just don't be a fool and live there. Although I would rather see Blacks and Latinos buying the property, we don't have the economic means to do so. At least not most of us NYC Black and Latinos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
First off, Mott Haven has good housing stock and excellent subway service. You may laugh at me for this, but the South Bronx will be good someday.

Soundview is a trudge on the train on a good day. Add in heavy drugs and poverty, and it's much further off.
Mott Haven has good housing? Really? Can you tell me where this is located? I mean, Mott Haven has always been a poor working class neighborhood. Only a small stretch of blocks on the west side had Brownstones but that's all gone now. Replaced by public housing. Only about 4 blocks of brownstones left in the whole neighborhood. The two pockets are surrounded by public housing projects. They are also occupied by room for renters, the bulk of them. As for the rest of Mott Haven, public housing and old tenements. Most of which are low income housing only. The rest have poor families doubling and tripleing up. Eastern Mott Haven has been named in numorous studies the poorest neighborhood in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City