U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 PM

374 posts, read 546,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
i live in the soundview area where amadou diallo got shot, im a white guy, its not that bad in my opinion
What brings you there? Curious. How long have you lived there and what have your experiences been like? How would it compare to the areas near the Concourse (where I live)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:16 PM

894 posts, read 1,493,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
What brings you there? Curious. How long have you lived there and what have your experiences been like? How would it compare to the areas near the Concourse (where I live)?

well i have been living here for 2 months, and my experiences have been good i walk around here by myself at night etc nobody says anything to me no drama, everything is good i havent really spent too much time around your area i have been around the bronx though like parkchester or the bronx area close to manhattan and my experiences have been good.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:03 AM

499 posts, read 989,178 times
Soundview covers a large area. Some parts are decent while other parts are gritty. East of the Bronx River Parkway is OK. Now West of the Parkway is shaky especially around Westchester Avenue. I know the area of Westchester and Morrison is gritty.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:55 AM

556 posts, read 828,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
Soundview covers a large area. Some parts are decent while other parts are gritty. East of the Bronx River Parkway is OK. Now West of the Parkway is shaky especially around Westchester Avenue. I know the area of Westchester and Morrison is gritty.
I get off there sometimes, shirt and tie, late night as well.

Its dirty, and people are fools, but no one messes with you. Like anywhere, just mind your own.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,389 times
i gotta disagree with some Mod cut: language i read on here. i grew up in the view spent most of my life grindin in different parts of the area. i lived on noble ave in a rowhouse right near soundview and lafayette avenues from 1982 to 2004 and i come back very often tho now i live in baltimore wit family.

to that person sayin the difference between east and west is like day and night dont know what he talkin about. the whole soundview is bad lots of drugs. west of the bx river parkway soundview got a good number of tenements on watson, westchester 172 and the side streets but that dont mean much. most of the houses like 95% is apartment houses anyway. a lot of those is just single rooms you can rent out. most of the houses is in run down shape. there are plenty of hot rowhouses blocks in the area with a lot of drugs. that guy forgot to take into account most of the murders in the area is east of the bronx river where most of the projects are. most of the murders and shootouts in the 43rd happen in and around the projects along rosedale ave. so i have to strongly disagree wit what he said.

in the late 80s and early 90s the area was a warzone it was jus too much Mod cut: language. today its still bad but it aint as bad as it was. calmed down a lot but there was a murder last night in the area right after new years like a block from where my family lives. there be a lot of shootouts in the area still cuz people are always arguing over stupid Mod cut: language and bring it to guns very often. lotta robberies too cuz there are a lot of teens in the area robbing people for ipods coats phones money and all that. i wouldnt say its better then the south bronx, really the same but the the crime is more concentrated in hot spots. different. the rowhouses blocks are usually jus filled wit drugs and run down around the pjs thats where people usually get shot up at cuz most people hang out near the pjs if not on there stoops but most of the area is projects. but dont think stuff dont happen on the rowhouses blocks just not as often. there are a lotta highrises in the area that are pretty bad for crime too.

the guy sayin area is like south queens never been to soundview or south queens. soundview full of rowhouses and projects. southeast queens got a lot of detached houses but soundview dont. area reminds me of brownsville if anything same kind of houses and lots of pjs.

i wouldnt call it middle class either cuz most people there live in the pjs or are renting an apartment. the few that do own homes only live on a few select blocks and bought they houses either way back when they was cheap or through the government. there are a few blocks wit brand new rowhouses but those is like 3 apartments and the people rent them.

oh and the prostitution. it aint as heavy as hunts point but there are prostitutes all over the city. in soundview its underground u wont see walkers like hunts point i mean sometimes you might but it aint common.

and soundview i always think of north of lacombe west of the bx river, east of white plains road and south of the cross bronx to avoid any confussion. the area south of lacombe is different. it got its issues but its more like a working class people area and different kinds of houses. i think of that as clason point or harding park.

anyway thats all i have to say the area is still bad but i still got family in the area so i come through pretty often. its a shame the same old Mod cut: language goes down as it has been for a long time now thats life.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-02-2009 at 05:10 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 04:14 AM

656 posts, read 1,026,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I've always heard that The westside of Queens is bad?Or is it only bad in certain pockets there.

Certain parts like Queensbridge & Ravenswood projects but to me the South Side is worse (Jamaica & The Rockaways).

Old 02-02-2009, 05:36 AM

6 posts, read 13,314 times
I'm sorry that the view now has a bad rep but it wasn't like that when i was growing up we took care of each other we didn't tear up the view, everytime when someone got they coat taken or tennis shoes taken we went to that hood and got it back and we fight like men with our fists. No guns, fist baby, bare knuckles, jhs 123 and bronx river center was the place to be, bam and mario play at the 3 all night and the mc was the busy bee, and the dance was the freak dance. So build the view back up again don't tear it down. Peace. From kennyb

Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 AM

10,141 posts, read 18,004,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb1961 View Post
I'm sorry that the view now has a bad rep but it wasn't like that when i was growing up we took care of each other we didn't tear up the view, everytime when someone got they coat taken or tennis shoes taken we went to that hood and got it back and we fight like men with our fists. No guns, fist baby, bare knuckles, jhs 123 and bronx river center was the place to be, bam and mario play at the 3 all night and the mc was the busy bee, and the dance was the freak dance. So build the view back up again don't tear it down. Peace. From kennyb
thats how its supposed to be. thanks kennyb

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-02-2009, 06:00 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,395,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb1961 View Post
Hey my pops used to dj in bronx river center. He used to tell me about the zulu nation and how ill bam's record collection was.

Anyone that lives in soundview knows that the east and west are nothing alike. Watson ave is worlds apart from story ave(which is where i live). Anything west of the highway is rundown east is a differant story

Old 02-02-2009, 06:10 PM

894 posts, read 1,493,782 times
look the area is cool..is it poor yeah...but its cool...i have been living here since october nobody gave me grief i met cool people in the area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City