Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times

Advertisements

I've heard its really bad there,but does anyone have first hand experience there,that you could tell me what its like being there,or living there?Im not moving to NYC or anything,I just want some info on this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 03:00 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
It's just your typical high crime/poverty city neighborhood.

YouTube - Bronx Bloods Lord Tariq Sex Money Murder Street-Gangz.com

http://blogs.sohh.com/nyc/archives/teamsaga.jpg (broken link)

Major Hip Hop location as well. One of the birth places.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:16 PM

What rappers have come from there?

Old 08-13-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
What rappers have come from there?
Jazzy Five MC's, Lord Tariq, The Cru, Hi-Five, Drag-On, DJ Disco King Mario, Afrika Bambaataa, Tony Sunshine, and Big Pun. KRS-One resided in a group home in the area for a time.

Also the birthplace of the Black Spades steet gang which I belive later became the Zulu Nation. I'm pretty sure the Black Spades originated in the Bronxdale Housing Project then spread across the rest of the neighborhood. Also home to the "Sex, Money, Murda" (Started in the Soundview Housing Project) and "Watson Fam" (Started along Watson Avenue) drug gangs during the late 80's and 90's.

Lotta Hip Hop history originates from the area, especially in the public housing projects and local playgrounds. Like the Soundview and Bronx River PJ's. Or Watson-Gleason Playground home of the first DJ and Breakdancing competitions.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 PM

I checked out Soundview on that one website you gave me on the general forum,and I see what you mean about the long stretches of housing projects.I get thrown off by New York City's crime rate,I didn't think it was that bad.I feel bad for the people who have to live in that high density poverty.Where do you live in NYC Hustla718.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I checked out Soundview on that one website you gave me on the general forum,and I see what you mean about the long stretches of housing projects.I get thrown off by New York City's crime rate,I didn't think it was that bad.I feel bad for the people who have to live in that high density poverty.Where do you live in NYC Hustla718.
Haha, well that is my secret.

As for the high density poverty, yes it is terrible. In the end though, the shelter is worth it, the streets are worse.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default What is worse...

Hustla, Soundview or the area to the west of the Bx River, W. Farms, Morrisania, Hunts point etc? I always thought Soundview was better, quieter, safer because it's technically on the eastern half of the boro which site east of the bx River and I see a lot of small houses there

Old 08-14-2007, 06:57 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Hustla, Soundview or the area to the west of the Bx River, W. Farms, Morrisania, Hunts point etc? I always thought Soundview was better, quieter, safer because it's technically on the eastern half of the boro which site east of the bx River and I see a lot of small houses there
Soundview is the last neighborhood, besides Brownsville, East New York, and Bushwick, that I would go through in this country. So much crap happens in such a small area, but in Compton, it's more spread out.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 AM

I've always heard that The westside of Queens is bad?Or is it only bad in certain pockets there.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:20 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
There's plenty of good areas in western Queens, such as Middle Village, Maspeth, Astoria, Forest Hills (though thay may be central Queens), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City