Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM

11 posts, read 52,457 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been working since I graduated college (almost 3 years) in the textiles field as a designer. I have a good job with good benefits and one thing that is really nice is that I get out at 5 every day and I am never at work late. Therefore I figured that now might be a good time to go back to grad school.
I know teaching ESL and being in IT are TOTALLY unrelated but I am considering both because both interest me and both are supposedly in demand in NYC....right? Let me know if I am misinformed about that part.
Also I am looking to go to a CUNY school, St. Johns, or Queens College. I don't want to get in a lot of debt (I just finished paying off my undergrad degree)

Why I want to be in the IT field

1) I know a lot of design programs and many people in IT don't really know our programs so I a lot of the time when something isn't working or if I have a question about the software I have to ask other designer or figure it out...I can bridge this gap. What I would like to do is work for a design company but as an IT person. This way I can still work in the field that I love..but I can make significantly more money that what I am doing now. And a big bonus is that when people have questions about Photoshop..I can answer them!

2) There are less women in this field than men (although that's changing) so hopefully this might give me an advantage.

3) its more lucrative than teaching but at the same time like most jobs you can be let go at any time

Why It might not work out

1) I only have 4 undergrad math credits so going back for a masters in this might take long as I would probably have to take many undergrad classes to catch up, I'll do it and I'm ready to work hard but I am afraid (like everyone) to do all that and then not be able to find a job in what I studied

Why I want to study ESL

1) It is supposed to have the highest demand in education in the next coming years
2) there is a chance that I will be living in Italy in the near future and being certified to teach English will come in handy
3) I have 8 language undergrad credits so filling the requirement for this would be easier..I think I would still have to take a foreign language class but I speak Italian so it should not be too bad...the degree itself would be easier for me (I am very good with reading and writing more so than I am with math..not that I am bad with math but its more of a challenge for me)
4) teaching jobs aren't lucrative but they are stable (at least for the subjects that are in demand) this would be good if I have a family. The summers would be good if I have a family as well. I am hoping to have one.
5) I love children and have been told by colleagues that I am extremely patient. I teach Italian to a kid now to make extra money and have had a very positive experience.

I just want some general advice, especially if you think I have the wrong idea of anything from above. Especially from those people out there who teach ESL or work in IT. Any advice on what city schools you got the most out of for your field would be great. I studied what I loved for undergrad and although I made it work and had many amazing experiences... I was 16 when I made that choice and now at 24 I would like to make a more educated one.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:15 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,877 times
Unless you're gonna be a CTO at a design company, the money as a help desk analyst supporting their design apps isn't going to be great. Since you have a passion for design, teaching, languages and technology I think something along the lines of Accenture's Interactive Consulting, Digital Marketing and Marketing Analytics practice would be best for you. This would cover everything you enjoy - understanding design related apps, design and marketing best practices, designing websites, training clients, and likely being placed on international assignments. You would have a lot of exit opportunities as well. You could go on to be a digital strategy director at an ad agency or work in house at a Fortune 500, go to another marketing focussed consulting firm like ZS Associates, which is very well known in that field, maybe branch off to CRM consulting at a tech consulting firm. You'll make more money understanding Enterprise apps like Oracle, SAP, Peoplesoft, Salesforce etc if you choose to focus on the IT side, so specializing in CRM rather than design apps would be better. However, if you truly are interested in design apps and mastering them, you'll likely land more high paying jobs as as a compositor at a special effects agency or a high level interaction designer / website producer at an ad agency than trying to land a gig just teaching how these apps work. I think you have to ask yourself whether you're more interested in actually producing artistic design work with these apps or the act of understanding how the programs work, implementing systems and training. If it's the latter - than IT consulting with a focus on interactive marketing would be a good career to pursue.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 AM

First off..thank you for such a great reply. I never thought there was a career where I could combine a love of languages, design, teaching, and technology so I definitely want to start researching how I can go forward in this. I do like designing a lot but I would like to study something that will help me move forward in my career. There is not much growth for designers from what I've seen. At my company now I've seen the power of IT and how systems like Oracle make the company extremely more efficient. I feel like it would be a good thing to go into since now I've seen first hand how much value it brings.

In order to do this I would have to look for programs that will give me in IT degree with a focus on interactive marketing...is this the degree you have? If so did you get it in the city? Where did you study?

I'm going to look through the CUNY programs, Queens College, and St. Johns. If you could recommend a program that would be great and as I start researching I hope you won't mind if I ask you any more questions.

Thanks again

Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 AM

166 posts, read 443,780 times
As someone who has lived and worked in Italy, I can tell you that having a Masters in ESL will not help you all that much. If you want to teach English there, you need to have CELTA certification as that is what's most recognized and above all most schools there will prefer a native English-speaking candidate from the UK as opposed to the US due to EU work permission. Most ESL teaching jobs there pay low, but lots of people suck it up b/c it allows them the ability to live in Italy.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 AM

Can you get CELTA certification in the states? I've hard of other certifications but not his one, however I am just starting to research.

I too have lived and worked in Italy and almost everything pays low, not just teaching English. However speaking Italian, being of Italian descent, and being mother tongue English..this field would be my best shot at employment there (at least I believe so). I would have the correct working papers, at least eventually, because I will be married to an Italian citizen. My issue right now is that I do not know where I will be living..in Italy or America as we are waiting for him to finish school and find employment. We are of course wary of Italy because we are very aware of how hard it is to find work there. Especially for the young. Not that America is getting much better, but at least I am employed here with a stable income so staying here will probably be our best shot. However I'm hoping to study something that could be valid in both countries, just in case I have to go there in the future. That's where I came up with ESL. Maybe I could get two certifications to be able to do it both here and there? This is one of the questions I will probably have to find out from some kind of college advisor.

Any other insight as to what it was like teaching English there (where you were, where you taught, how you got the job, what degree you have, and how much you were paid..would really be appreciated)

Thanks

Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM

166 posts, read 443,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgirl454 View Post
Can you get CELTA certification in the states? I've hard of other certifications but not his one, however I am just starting to research.

I too have lived and worked in Italy and almost everything pays low, not just teaching English. However speaking Italian, being of Italian descent, and being mother tongue English..this field would be my best shot at employment there (at least I believe so). I would have the correct working papers, at least eventually, because I will be married to an Italian citizen. My issue right now is that I do not know where I will be living..in Italy or America as we are waiting for him to finish school and find employment. We are of course wary of Italy because we are very aware of how hard it is to find work there. Especially for the young. Not that America is getting much better, but at least I am employed here with a stable income so staying here will probably be our best shot. However I'm hoping to study something that could be valid in both countries, just in case I have to go there in the future. That's where I came up with ESL. Maybe I could get two certifications to be able to do it both here and there? This is one of the questions I will probably have to find out from some kind of college advisor.

Any other insight as to what it was like teaching English there (where you were, where you taught, how you got the job, what degree you have, and how much you were paid..would really be appreciated)

Thanks
Yes, you can get CELTA certification here, run a google search and I'm sure you can find where exactly. It tends to be more expensive than the other certs due to its ability to transfer easily to the European job market.

I didn't teach English in Italy. I went to grad school there and then worked in an international organization in Rome. So, very familiar with the economic/job situation there. Most of my Italian friends left for other opportunities throughout Europe (Belgium, Switzerland, Germany). I did meet quite a few people who did the teaching English thing. They all related the same stuff...you absolutely have to apply in person, already have your CELTA, have your working papers & don't count on any contract. I made friends with an American guy there who had EU work permission and he worked for Berlitz Milan and said it was pretty terrible. I'm sure you can find reviews from employees of specific schools, but just keep in mind, in general it's a certain way. I've heard of 800 EU salaries being typical for full-time work for English teachers there.

The EU work permission is huge, really. At my job there, there was an American girl who married an Italian but chose to pursue the citizenship thru jure sanguis b/c the waiting period even w/marriage is really long...something like 3 years she said. With jure sanguis, she had it in a little over a year. So her having Italian grandparents actually helped her more than being married to an Italian. Just make sure you really research beforehand.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 AM

Last time I looked (a few months ago) it took 3 years to get citizenship only if you don't live in Italy. It take two if you live in Italy and one year if you have a child. But with the processing and the slowness of Italy I'm sure that's why it takes longer.

However once you get married you can get a "family member visa." Which I believe you can work under. You don't have to wait for citizenship in order to work as far as I know. Unfortunately I'm not eligible for jure sanguis although all my grandparents and my father were born in Italy because they were all naturalized and according to italian law citizenship was never "passed" to me since they no longer had it. Unless the laws change I cannot get it from them, and even if I could your friend was lucky. I've heard it take much much longer than one year.

Anyway right now I am more focused on my career and finding out what masters to go into than getting married. We have over a year until he finishes school in Milan so we will get to that then. I've looked into it all but its all a bit premature as I'm not sure yet if I will be living there. We are going to try to make it here in the US first before we go there because in my opinion...it is much much harder there.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
As mentioned already, ESL jobs pay very little unless you are planning on working in the school system (meaning teaching children in elementary/middle/high school). A master's degree in TESOL can help get you better paying jobs at the university level, but again there are more qualified people than full time university positions available. (But adjunct/part-time ESL teaching with a M.A. is better paying per hour than teaching EFL/ESL at a private language school without a M.A.)

Old 08-11-2011, 10:22 AM

30 posts, read 45,629 times
You mentioned Computer Science, which is completely different from, although not unrelated to, IT. Computer Science is heavy mathematics and programming/software engineering, it's got nothing to do with learning how to use X software or providing technical help. A Masters program in Computer Science would expect undergraduate coursework in the field, which you lack, so it's going to take a lot of time just to get on the starting line.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:59 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
I think you are misunderstanding IT here. While its great that you know or may know some graphic design applications such as autocad, photoshop, etc. It's kind of meaningless and very niche on what you want to do. Which translates to it'll be hard to find a job for that niche. And when it comes to getting a IT job, decently paying IT jobs. I would not recommend what you are thinking of because most IT job sectors in that area of fashion, marketing, furniture, etc. mostly fall to graphic designers with few web developers and some help desk for software and hardware support.

So using your skillset and let's say you have masters degree. Why would someone in fashion come to you when they can go to graphic designers to get some pointers about using design applications. Why would someone come to you when they can go to senior web developer to hash out how to update website to do what they want in bringing business value. Why would someone come to you when they can contact help desk to fix their laptop or what not. Why would they come to you if they can go to business analyst to bridge the gap between business and IT. And if they don't have business analyst, it'd be job of project manager, head of development, or CTO's job to do that. Best way is to think what niche can I fill.

And as sexist as I might sound. Being female in IT isn't easy and probably hurts more than it helps. Think of it this way. When majority of staff are male and working in male dominated industry. It's hard for female to be part of the group and usually, have hard time being part of the group. Which all translates into difficulties adjusting and getting along with team/manager. That said, if you are a geek at heart then fitting in is not a problem.

Lastly, every field now days moves and changes quickly. However this is especially true of IT and we changes incredibly fast. So you will need to spend a surprising amount of time outside of work to keep up and stay on top of it. Although if you are a geek at heart, it'd be like fashionista trying to stay on top of changing fashion trends by scouring over trendy design sites, magazines, etc.

Anyhow, if you don't stay in top of IT. You will become obsolete quick and no one will want you. The whole industry is changed to be 'agile' and deliver stuff at faster pace and quicker cycle. Everything changes very fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: