U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:15 PM

8,752 posts, read 8,641,638 times
Yes this can happen anywhere...and it is entirely possible it can happen here or any other town in the country. In urban places like NYC, the culture of entitlements (handouts) keeps people subdued, but with Federal entitlement "reform" (cuts) on the horizon, and NYC having its own economic struggles, there will be entitlement "reform" here too. And with the haves living side by side in many places with the have-nots, well, it's something that isn't far fetched.

As for the rest of "regular" suburban America, you throw enough people out of the middle class into poverty/near poverty, that is another recipe for revolts. So yeah, it can definitely happen here, and the pent up stress of everything (I feel it, and its growing), will reach some breaking point. When it will happen, who knows, but I could see a revolt of some sort in NYC or anywhere in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,590,107 times
Nope it will never happen...you can't even stand on a corner in a poor neighborhood in NYC without 4 or 5 squad cars and unmarked Impalas with Police antennas circling the block every 8 minutes. If NYPD will shoot an unarmed immigrant 41 times just for pulling out his wallet...can you just imagine what the cops would do a kid looting a Foot Locker on Fordham Road? NYC is a police state plain and simple.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
bg7

3,160 posts, read 2,164,670 times
"NYC is a police state plain and simple."

Right, because you lived in East Germany in the 70's so you know what its like living under an actual police state right?

Old 08-09-2011, 03:50 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,590,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"NYC is a police state plain and simple."

Right, because you lived in East Germany in the 70's so you know what its like living under an actual police state right?
I have actually, but seriously, I apologize if the sarcasm contained in my post went over head...I'll warn you next time.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:52 PM
bg7

3,160 posts, read 2,164,670 times
No need to apologize for your behavior, I'm sure you can't help it.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM

113 posts, read 137,901 times
People seem to forget that it really wasn't all that long ago that we had similar looting and civil "unrest". For those who weren't here at the time, I'm referring to the 1977 blackout.

That said, I'm not so sure that it *would* happen again, at least, not to the extent or extremes that we're seeing in London.

There have been several "flash points" in the past 30 years where similar unrest has broken out in other cities in the U.S. -- Rodney King verdict, the OJ verdict, the blackout in 2003 --and the opportunistic vandalism and looting in NYC was far less severe or wide-spread than it was in other cities.

Yes, we still have our conflicts, but we seem to stop short of that sort of madness, or at least we have for quite a while.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:49 PM

1,365 posts, read 368,497 times
Dec 21 2012 - You have been warned!! Get your holy bibles out and start reading nostradamus 1:32-12. Get your kneepads out and start doing some kneeling to the most high.

(---------------% a big **** in your mouth to non-believers.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 PM

15 posts, read 16,499 times
London has some a such difference from New York.

1. London has Orginized radikal groups of different forms: anarchists, punks, soccer football hooligans etc. NEW YORK - NOT

2. London has riots traditions (It was happening every year). NEW YORK - NOT

3. U.K. has ALLREADY approved and realizing budget cuts. USA -NOT YET

Many other things looks SIMILAR. Poverty, no jobs, urban decay and stress.

I think it is possible in New York and other big cities just after serious budget cuts. Not yearlier.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM

15 posts, read 16,499 times
In "suburban" America riots like in London is so unimaginable. I can't believe that people start burning own houses or cars on there local streets. So, they need to get one point! Go on cars and then burning cars...

Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 PM

8 posts, read 4,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I would love nyc to have a citywide riot. The last great citywide riot was in 1863 the draft riots. The greatest display of civil disobidence the u.s and the city of new york ever witnessed.
Raaas bhai/gyal

anyways, its just a matter of time, NYC and OrangeCounty/LosAngeles are likely next due to the rapid socio-economic meltdown spanning all cultures and countries (remember Oslo, Norway)

.. will be in flames and chaos, please see following vid

‪Economic Collapse a Mathematical Certainty - Top 5 Places Where Not To Be‬‏ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City