Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times

Advertisements

Looking at the pictures and reading the reports of the English riots I'd like to think that we've been through that already here in the states. You know, the (maybe) unjustified police shooting that killed a man, the protests afterward, and then the degeneration into destruction and common criminality. After all, we didn't freak like this when Amadou Diallo was murdered in the Bronx.

The fact seems to be that the poor in Britain have not been heard. In fact the concerns--both there and here--are about middle-class distress. That distress is definitely real. But if you're really poor nobody talks about you, wants to hear from you, worries about you, or listens. You're just totally out of the conversation. You don't exist.

Let me be clear: I'm in no way defending the rioters. Like I say it seems pretty obvious that a non-violent demonstration got co-opted by the hoodlums that made a bad situation much worse. But why wouldn't it happen here now? The situations seem pretty much the same. Why hasn't it? I don't want to see riots in my hometowwn by far, but if they happened, I can't say I'd be surprised either.

Last edited by citylove101; 08-09-2011 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 02:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
I would love nyc to have a citywide riot. The last great citywide riot was in 1863 the draft riots. The greatest display of civil disobidence the u.s and the city of new york ever witnessed.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:12 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Why would you love a citywide riot? How about they kill your family and cut your legs off as part of the mayhem? Sounds fun right! Please remove "Bronx" from your name, you are embarrassing the rest of us.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I would love nyc to have a citywide riot. The last great citywide riot was in 1863 the draft riots. The greatest display of civil disobidence the u.s and the city of new york ever witnessed.

I really, really hope you're joking about that. They may have been called draft riots but they were essentially anti-black riots where hundreds of black folks were basically lynched for days. A return of that and you and I both could be dead. It was one of New York's ugliest moments.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I really, really hope you're joking about that. They may have been called draft riots but they were essentially anti-black riots where hundreds of black folks were basically lynched for days. A return of that and you and I both could be dead. It was one of New York's ugliest moments.
Of course I was joking only one black person was lynched in the draft riots others were attacked by a near by orphanage near 33rd street. Those riots were ugly. Rich vs poor, black vs white, protestant vs roman catholic, american vs foreign, democrate vs republican. Everybody was a victim. The conditions for are riot has to be right and met in order for one to take place, usually because of economics and poverty, and, also lack of justice causes riots. Give the poor people free handouts of money of course they wont rebel.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-09-2011 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Of course I was joking only one black person was lynched in the draft riots others were attacked by a near by orphanage near 33rd street. Those riots were ugly. Rich vs poor, black vs white, protestant vs roman catholic, american vs foreign, democrate vs republican. Everybody was a victim.
I guess sometime humor doesn't translate well online. And yes, I knew about the orphanage. Not lynchings in the strict sense, but still murder.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
New York City has already had many riots throughout its history. IMO we don't need anymore especially now with the current economic crises. Detroit's inner city never recovered from the riots of the 1960's. Those riots in Detroit caused the auto industry to relocate to the suburbs, and resulted in the move of Motown Records to CA, among other things it was the beginning of the end, and the Detroit that we have today.

Check out the following articles and links concerning other riots in the city.

The Harlem Riots - Harlem riot 1935

The Harlem Riot 1943 - Harlem riot 1943 and other riots in all boros of NYC

Harlem riot 1964 - Harlem riot 1964

Old 08-09-2011, 02:45 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
"The fact seems to be that the poor in Britain have not been heard."

They had their chance in the Peasant's Revolt of 1361.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Under the right conditions, riots are possible anywhere including New York. If the economy worsens significantly and/or the middle class continues to decline leaving masses of poor and 5% of the population very wealthy--I would expect it actually.

The riots going on in England are a little more complicated than that. Mostly rowdy young people who want to rob the local Apple store. There really is no noble cause going on.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 PM

My thing is this when you have high unemployment and poverty, social injusticw lack of neccesity for services people will revolt. If the government keeps giving free handouts and those poor people use govt handouts to buy weed, crack, meth and cheap alcohol the people will not rebel because they are either content with the current situation or disillusional. Also some riots happen after natural disasters especially when the poor cant flee a disaster a la katrina. With this debt crisis still lingering and wall sttreet still screwing over every american. Lets see what happens if this crisis were in still continues like this without a bullet dropped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City