U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 AM

2,668 posts, read 2,964,580 times
Or try a place that seems filled with non-Koreans if you are afraid of a menu that you might not be familiar with (hope no one takes that the wrong way). Look UP too, as many restaurants are upstairs too. I've eaten at several places along 32nd street and I've never had a problem with the menu or getting recommendations from the waitstaff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 AM

910 posts, read 1,805,037 times
There is a cool bar on the rooftop of La Quinta called Me Bar. Check it out.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:17 PM

34 posts, read 66,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Can anyone recommend a good reasonable restaurant on the block (32nd St.) for someone who knows NOTHING about Korean Cuisine.
I am intimidated because I just don't know what to order and some of the restaurants seem inordinately overproced.

In my one stab, I ordered a beef dish that was swimming in red hot oil. I LOVE spicy food but this was so unbelievably spicy I almost choked. This from a person who orders Lamb Vindaloo extra spicy. In truth, the waitress tried to warn me (I THINK she warned me...her English was almost non-existant.)

I'd like to try again but I have no Korean friends to go with to steer me straight.

Any tips?
I'd recommend Kum Gang San for being most non-Korean friendly (the waiters all speak perfect English) but it's not cheap. And the branch in Flushing is tons better in price, quaility, service and quantity. Although I don't know if you'd want to trek all the way to Flushing.

Try the bolgoki (Korean bbq). It's not spicy at all & that's the dish most people love although it is kind of expensive. You saying that you ordered a dish spicer than vindaloo is saying a lot. There's an annual contest held between Koreans and Indians regarding who can chow down the most spiciest dish and the Indians win most of the time.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:35 PM

2,901 posts, read 4,503,733 times
@ the OP,

First, you don't even know what an American "ghetto" is, or is like, so simply stop applying the term.

Second, there are no Korean ghettos in the USA. I do not know what you experienced in LA or SF, but its likely you are confusing Chinese and/or other less fortunate Asians with Koreans. In NYC, at least, Koreans are among the hardest working, highest educated and highest earning.

So called 'Korea town' is a VERY loose moniker labled upon a very few blocks below 34th St, adjacent to and between Herald Square and Lexington Avenue. Roughly 3 or 4 blocks west of Herald Square and 3 or 4 blocks south. That's it!

It is NOT a neighborhood. It is not a place where Koreans live. It is simplay a small area where several Koreans business and restaurants have gravitated to. It is a business area, not residential.

The thing I don't comprehend is that if you are so UN-streetwise as to think there are Korean ghettos, why are you coming to the States, and why you booked a non-prime hotel?

Why not at a prime hotel like the Hilton, Marriot Marquis, or Grand Hyatt?

You appear so naive as to be a Hustler's wet dream!

BTW, in a effort to assuage yourself of your prejudice, I STRONGLY suggest you take an aftternoon to visit Flushing, Queens.

Flushing is a neighborhood in the NYC borough of Queens. You can reach it by taking the #7 subway at 42nd St/Times Square to the last stop, Main Street.

It is VERY safe!

Here, take a walk down Main Street and you will see Flushing, a true Korea Town. Exampling American exceptionalism and American prosperity!

Enjoy your trip.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:45 PM

17 posts, read 15,595 times
I recommend Miss Korea BBQ.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:02 PM

594 posts, read 732,574 times
My friend told me that his coworker got roughed up one time in Koreantown because some punk teens hit on his girlfriend in front of him. Other than that one time incident, it's a safe neighborhood. Just don't venture into any unknown bars.

Also from 30-27th street is a questionable area. That's where the Jamaicans hang out selling fake watches, bags, etc. Those streets are as "ghetto" as it gets in that part of Manhattan.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 PM

142 posts, read 275,162 times
Quote:
Second, there are no Korean ghettos in the USA. I do not know what you experienced in LA or SF, but its likely you are confusing Chinese and/or other less fortunate Asians with Koreans.
This sentence is also very racist and full of prejudice.
You are sort of like a kettle calling another kettle black.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 AM
bg7

3,311 posts, read 2,459,414 times
No, you're confusing race with culture, and then confusing groups with indivduals. Look at the education and income statistics for Koreans/Korean-Americans and others in the US. You'll find Filipinos, Koreans and Japanese have the highest incomes.

I read somewhere else on this board that there are people here who see every single thing through racism-spectacles and, suprise suprise, find racism everywhere.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
My friend told me that his coworker got roughed up one time in Koreantown because some punk teens hit on his girlfriend in front of him. Other than that one time incident, it's a safe neighborhood. Just don't venture into any unknown bars.

Also from 30-27th street is a questionable area. That's where the Jamaicans hang out selling fake watches, bags, etc. Those streets are as "ghetto" as it gets in that part of Manhattan.
Absolute nonsense!

Perhaps you need to put some clothes on.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwaves View Post
This sentence is also very racist and full of prejudice.
You are sort of like a kettle calling another kettle black.
In what way? The statement is quite factual, whether you appreciate it or not.

Perhaps you should not take the sentence within the full context of my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City