Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 03:45 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,756,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
Isn't it amazing (and infuriating) when you think that some of our parents were able to buy homes on truly modest incomes?
Amazing yes. Infuriating yes. But, I do not begrudge the generation before us for being able to afford it then. I begrudge their high-mighty attitude that if they were able to do it, we should be able to do it too and why aren't we willing to take something modest.... like a 1 bedroom coop in the boroughs for $250K. (remember when those things were less than $50K?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 04:58 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,491 times
Default Up the ante, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensNYC View Post
Alot of this is true New York is not easy for the middle class or the working poor which are the samething in my book. Any kind of an apartment will cost you at least 1000 dollars a month in Queens usually closer to 1200 to rent. This is for a one bedroom by the way and not in a great neighborhood. If you want to live in manhattan a one bedroom will cost you at least 3x as much. So in this city you only start to become a human being at about 55k-60k a year. Meaning you are not struggling as much as people making under 40k but you really have to watch your budget. But it is true that New York does have great resturants and lost of interesting thing to do and see.
$55-60K? Are you kidding? at least $100K if you even want to consider living in NYC and even then, you will be living paycheck to paycheck. Up until the late 90s, it was somewhat affordable. Now it's ridiculous. And with the US dollar losing its value, now alot of foreigners are deciding to buy property in NYC, so prices keep going up, even though the real estate market in the rest of the country is going down. It's all really quite interesting.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:36 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,491 times
Roseba, I hate to admit it, but you are so dead on with your description. Really makes me wonder why it is that I want to come back to NY. Aahhh...the memories...it's just memories of good times, I guess.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,000 times
I lived in Manhattan most of my life but have recently moved to the Bronx. I do relate to some of what Roseba has said, but living in Manhattan can be full of compromises too. When I lived on the UEs in the 80s it usually took me about 40- minutes or more to get to work on the subways (which were hellish back then). I lived between 1st and York in a fifth floor walkup and it took 20 minutes to get to the subway.

But the area was great, and I had some bucks back then (inheritance) and my rent was pretty cheap.

Since I was already familiar with the hood through a friend, I've adapted pretty well to the Bronx. My b/f who lives down the road is very very frugal, and the cost of living in the Bronx is a lot lower. I actually like the 99 cent stores because you can find some true bargains there. The supermarket nearby is actually fairly decent, though I hear you about the smaller markets (but that's true of Manhattan too).

Point is, if you're going to live with the outer borough stuff, the Bronx is at least affordable. And if you live near a subway, the commute is really not too bad. Even if you're lucky enough to be able to live in Manhattan, everything costs more, and it adds up quickly.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:19 PM

16 posts, read 54,757 times
Default I agree with the original poster

Well, I'm new to this forum but not new to New York. I was born and raised here - and I've had just about enough. I have been on this forum for information about the State of Georgia, as I am seriously looking to leave New York.

I live in one of the "outter boroughs" and getting to/from work is awful sometimes. I'm tired of the trains, I'm tired of the buses that are always congested no matter what time they show up. I'm tired of the once every six month threat of terrorism. I'm tired of the crowds. I'm tired of the high prices for everything. Well, we did just recently get a break in the fact that the sales tax on clothing of less than $110 has been eliminated. Manhattan is a joke. The politicians are an even bigger joke. Affordable housing doesn't exist unless you call a $1200 dollar rat infested, crack den affordable housing. Housing in and of itself in New York City is prime.....

I am one of those individuals who will purchase items in the city (Manhattan) because I can't find them in the area I live in.

Sure Manhattan (NYC) is nice for those visitors who want to enjoy a Broadway Play, dine at trendy restaurants, and take in some of the wonderful museums and other art and culture the city has to offer. Do I need to do the aforementioned every day? No. Maybe I need to get away from NYC in order to appreciate NYC, I'm not sure. I know I'm tired of struggling. I know that I want to live a better life. Have a better quality of life. I don't need the theatre, or Yankee stadium to do so.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:22 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,322 times
Default i agree!

Sure Manhattan (NYC) is nice for those visitors who want to enjoy a Broadway Play, dine at trendy restaurants, and take in some of the wonderful museums and other art and culture the city has to offer. Do I need to do the aforementioned every day? No. Maybe I need to get away from NYC in order to appreciate NYC, I'm not sure. I know I'm tired of struggling. I know that I want to live a better life. Have a better quality of life. I don't need the theatre, or Yankee stadium to do so.[/quote]

this sums it up for me... i want to leave before i'm too bitter to come back and visit. i have family and friends here - it will always be here. there are things i'd rather come visit and have time/money to do so. now it's either one or both which stops me - bc i work so much to make enough to get by and save a little to move out of here. i'm tired of struggling for this quality of life.."affordable housing" is a cruel joke - vermin infested railroad apartments with a couple of windows. no thanks. i think if you get away you can come back and visit and choose to see just the things you like, instead of being overwhelmed by all of the things which eat you alive day in and day out. good luck!! i have many friends who have moved to georgia - what part?

Old 08-21-2007, 01:32 PM

46 posts, read 229,416 times
I've lived in NYC for 1.5 yrs.
I live in the financial district and love it.
Will be sad to leave.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilary086 View Post
I've lived in NYC for 1.5 yrs.
I live in the financial district and love it.
Will be sad to leave.
well there you go... you live in the financial district; i live in bensonhurst, bklyn. "my" new york is much MUCH different than yours. i think if i lived in manhattan i'd like it more, but i can't and even though i can probably afford to, i don't want to - i'd rather do more with my money than write a fat rent check every month.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:59 PM

46 posts, read 229,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
well there you go... you live in the financial district; i live in bensonhurst, bklyn. "my" new york is much MUCH different than yours. i think if i lived in manhattan i'd like it more, but i can't and even though i can probably afford to, i don't want to - i'd rather do more with my money than write a fat rent check every month.
I don't write the rent checks

Old 08-21-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilary086 View Post
I don't write the rent checks
must be nice... well yeah, for the rest (most) of us, that isn't an option! there's a reason your perspective is *very* different. god if i didn't pay rent and lived in a nice area i'm sure i wouldn't be as disgusted with nyc, but since that isn't a choice, i choose to leave! there is no inbetween in nyc - no middle ground/class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City