Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:53 AM

8 posts, read 10,254 times

Advertisements

Easy all.

Basically my situation looks a little like this. I am 20 years old and I want to come to live to New York for a year maybe 2. Now I know it's difficult but I am determined to make this happen...
As far as I know, an employment based visa is my best option so with this in mind, I'm going to have to find an employer who would be willing to help me with a visa form after they have given me a job offer. Obviously the best way to get a job offer is to actually go to the city myself and ask around for jobs. (I'm looking for a bartending job, I have experience). But my question lays with the fact that you need a social security number (right?) to get a job in the first place. So how can I apply for job's in the first place?
Also, does anyone know any simpler ways that this can be resolved, or places online or anything which can make getting a job in NY easier for foreigners. I understand the climate isn't great at the moment, but I have belief that this can be done.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
People believe in Santa Claus to, yo.

Nobody is going to sponsor a 20 year old would be bartender. Nobody. Why would they? For 1 to 2 years??/

Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 AM

119 posts, read 249,751 times
You'd better plan on coming here and "forgetting" to leave while working under-the-table, if you're so "determined." No one will sponsor a 20-year-old bartender for a work visa. No one.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 AM

I don't want a criminal record! Is it worth it do you think, how can I get a job without an employment visa? Surely its too risky..

Old 08-13-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Roberts View Post
I don't want a criminal record! Is it worth it do you think, how can I get a job without an employment visa? Surely its too risky..
If you're caught you'll be deported and probably barred from ever entering the States again, so no, it's not worth it, but it's the only way it'll happen.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Why is immigrating to the states so hard?!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Why is immigrating to the states so hard?!
It's not hard for people with desirable skills, of which bartending is not one.

Do you have any family here?

Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
It's not hard for people with desirable skills, of which bartending is not one.

Do you have any family here?
Nope. Obviously it's easier for people with professional skills that are transferable. But what do all the young people who want to immigrate do. I get the impression 9/11 changed a lot in rules and regulations. And I guess for the good.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Nope. Obviously it's easier for people with professional skills that are transferable. But what do all the young people who want to immigrate do. I get the impression 9/11 changed a lot in rules and regulations. And I guess for the good.
They overstay their tourist visas and work crap jobs under-the-table.

Where are you trying to emigrate from?

Old 08-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
They overstay their tourist visas and work crap jobs under-the-table.

Where are you trying to emigrate from?
Is this seriously something I could try, I mean, surely it's a great risk?

I'm trying to come from the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City