Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,295 times

Advertisements

In 5months time im heading over to nyc and im looking for accommodation in woodlawn or a simaler area to woodlawn, i used spend the summer on e240th in my uncles and really like the area so if anyone can give me any kinda info on were i can find rental listings it be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 AM

147 posts, read 370,331 times
No real information for you. I just know it is a nice,safe, part of the Bronx. that and Riverdale are the only two sections I would ever live in- and I probably could never afford Riverdale. Belmont is cute, too, but it is such a SMALL neighborhood-- you go two blocks from home and you have left the neighborhood.

My old penpal in elementary school was from Cork.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:51 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Many of the listings in that area tend to be more local in advertising scope, so I would recommend checking the Irish Voice and The Riverdale Press. Unfortunately, neither is as comprehensive online as a New York Times, though The Riverdale Press has more of a web presence than the Irish Voice. Home - The Riverdale Press

With respect to neighborhood, you may also want to look at parts of Riverdale that are similar to Woodlawn, particularly the streets near the west end of Van Cortlandt Park, off Broadway. This area is not far from Woodlawn, separated by the park, and is on the west side of The Bronx, below Yonkers. Parts of east Yonkers are also similar to Woodlawn, but it's not easy to get around that area without a vehicle, since it's Westchester.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-20-2011, 06:20 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,453 times
It's a very insular community, and geographically isolated. But it's also supposed to be pretty nice, and it's the last predominantly Irish neighborhood in NYC (so definitely appropriate for you). You could try Craigslist or something, but I suspect you won't find much listed online. Your best bet is probably to ask your uncle or someone else from the community about local real estate agents. There are probably a couple of agents who handle almost all rentals there who would only be known to locals.

Note when looking for apartments that "Woodlawn" sometimes includes less nice areas south of Woodlawn Cemetery. The area where you'll be, north of the cemetery, is sometimes called Woodlawn Heights.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:10 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Woodlawn's a very nice area. I see lots of ads for apartments when I'm up there (at delis/the laundromat/libraries), and there are a couple of real estate agencies on McLean Ave. that I suspect handle a lot of the listings for the neighborhood, but unfortunately, I can't think of the names. You may also want to contact the Irish Center on Katonah.

Emerald Isle Immigration Center Helping Immigrants NY

Old 05-22-2012, 05:34 PM

20 posts, read 27,283 times
Default apartments in Woodlawn

There are apartments available in this neighborhood and your best bet is, as someone else posted, the Immigration Center. Also, the Aisling Center on Mclean (might be a yonkers number) is a very good source. Other than that, its the local Irish businesses - the butcher, delis and restaurants all have bulletin boards. There are many in this neighborhood who prefer to rent to the Irish so you should not have much trouble.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 AM

20 posts, read 38,516 times
Hey - did you get sorted out? I am in the same situation and I was wondering if it was easy to get fixed up over there? What are the costs like etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City