Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Like I've said before which is similiar to my other post on this subject, some of the rappers you've mention like Rakim, Nas, DMX and Mos Def are sTILL making allbums....it's just that majority of the people today don't buy them and rather support garbage. Hell, Ice Cube is still making albums and yet people still don't buy them.
Absolutely, though Ice Cube just doesn't seem to go as hard today as he used to. Not that he isn't good, just doesn't seem as hungry as he was when he first went solo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
LOL...GUnit can't even hold themselves
G Unit

Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Southern rap is 90% beats, always has been, always will be. The few Southern artists that were lyricists, that did not have strong beats were slept on. I love Southern rap though, but I am from the Midwest, I like everything, including our own artists, like Kanye and Common. Not to take anything away from true lyricists, because I won't buy an album that doesn't have good lyrics, but I need some beats.
Not really. The South have not always just had beats, there were/are some(or few) good artists from the South that send a message including from a political standpoint. like Outkast for example. However, majority of those artists are shrouded by most of the southern artists, like Lil Boosie, that are kept in the spotlight by the ones who buy their music.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times
u fools clowning g-unit don know noth about real rap then, lloyd banks the punchline king killing most of the game just with his mixtapes, same with fifty, they keepin it gutter for all yall lil wayne drake kanye listenin soft so called fans

Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
u fools clowning g-unit don know noth about real rap then, lloyd banks the punchline king killing most of the game just with his mixtapes, same with fifty, they keepin it gutter for all yall lil wayne drake kanye listenin soft so called fans

Llyod Banks is better than 50 cent in most cases, but that is where it ends for g-unit. Nobody cares about Drake, Lil-Wayne, etc, why would you even put them in the same paragraph as G-unit?

Kanye is thorough nothing soft about his lyrics stop hating on the man he is an excellent as a producer and a lyricist. Right now he goes harder than 50 himself.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Not really. The South have not always just had beats, there were/are some(or few) good artists from the South that send a message including from a political standpoint. like Outkast for example. However, majority of those artists are shrouded by most of the southern artists, like Lil Boosie, that are kept in the spotlight by the ones who buy their music.

Exact same thing I am saying. I thought Lil' Boosie was locked up though. Truth be told, the new generation out in Cali picked up where Atl left off. That is the new sound, not the "New South". I doubt anyone would suggest that Outkast is garbage, and the South still does deliver political standpoints, unfortunately more so than the North and the West these days ...

Old 09-15-2011, 10:04 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times
banks better than everybody in most cases, and 50 killing it too, kanye is a *ussy and so is his closet boyfriend camel looking big lipped mr HO va gay z foogeezzeee
who said im hating, i jus dont like these monkeys cuz they are wack and fake, y u think rappers like Kanye enjoyin their skinny jeans? cuz they got no balls...
u goofyman betta call mickey mouse with that self-ether name

Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
@ bolshoi... 50s trash... after his first album his rhymes went to ****... Banks ill give you but I still think hes a little overrated in the hood... Alot of guys think he's nasty but like alot of other rappers going at it nowadays, I thought his old stuff was way better... Same goes for Jay no question but you can't sell me on Kanye... I don't care how the dude dresses or how outspoken he is, he is a beast...

Also, just to re-inforce BlackandGold51s point... (Music to my ears)

Mos Def - Leaving on a Jet Plane - YouTube

And here's a former student of mine and in the next video a group that hes working with talking about the neighborhood and the environment he grew up in Ridgewood borderline Bushwick... (just to show you that not all kids out there are listening to this "fendi fendi" crap... FWIW the school I teach at is in the video I.S.93 Ridgewood Intermediate school... work in progress but little by little the schools working with the students to boost morale...

Solo Cold Days Smaller - YouTube

This Is Queens - YouTube

Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
banks better than everybody in most cases, and 50 killing it too, kanye is a *ussy and so is his closet boyfriend camel looking big lipped mr HO va gay z foogeezzeee
who said im hating, i jus dont like these monkeys cuz they are wack and fake, y u think rappers like Kanye enjoyin their skinny jeans? cuz they got no balls...
u goofyman betta call mickey mouse with that self-ether name
your personal issues with the image of some rappers have absolutely nothing to do with their talent. you're like most, who hate on Kanye and Jay-Z becuase of their image. i'm not even a fan, but I will give credit where it is due.

future of mainstream rap, or the future of radio, has nothing to do with being hard and tough. that era has passed a few years ago. i don't particuarly care for it any more than you do but it is what it is. one of the reasons I don't listen to the radio.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:48 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
@ goofy, you'll always have a group of followers that will follow that tough and hard rap that is still very much alive if you're into that stuff but even way back when in the 90s when hiphop was at its peak... what made it so great wasn't so much that it was tough and hard but that there was real meaning to what was being said... Dudes like Pete Rock and groups like a tribe called quest or naughty by nature would be rare nowadays but back then they were just a few of the many artists out there just being real... and it seems like thats been lost nowadays... So much music and its not just hiphop but music in general has become so mainstream and pointless where its catchy for a few months and then dies out after that... you still got a good number of artists still doing it right but unfortunately the masses don't support that movement the way they used to and so it seems as if they're no longer there but they really are... just gotta look for it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City