Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:02 AM

166 posts, read 443,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
I find Rap very low class ghetto and not a POSITIVE form of music. Seems most of the lyrics are about crime. I want something that is uplifting not about killing people and doing drugs.
haha...reading this just gave me flashbacks of what my superconservative auntie used to say when she would scold me for listening to hip hop...but that's a whole nother topic...

Nas said it right- hip hop is dead...him and Joe Budden are the only current rappers I regularly check for. And this is coming from someone who first got into hip hop during the Native Tongues era. So I've seen the music change, have grown with it as well, tried to embrace the different styles as they came along...what is is now...just can't mess with it at all. I remember when I used to be glued to Hot 97 to hear the new song drops...now I couldn't care less. Lil Wayne? Souljah Boi? Nicki Minaj? (who is an embarrassment for Queens btw)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Native tongues, Juice crew, BDP, PE, Epmd, wu-tang, d.i.t.c ......thats the NYC i respected and i miss.

Quote:
I find Rap very low class ghetto and not a POSITIVE form of music. Seems most of the lyrics are about crime. I want something that is uplifting not about killing people and doing drugs.
Yeahs thats the problem, but it wasnt always like that, That was the point of my thread. The west coast came out with that gangster rap ****. NY was always about the culture. but there has been a drastic change in NY towards are more thugged out style. Way more then the west coast ever was. not many people do gangster rap on the west any more. Not only that, Some cats in NY are doing what they dissed the west coast for doing for YEEEARS!

The funny thing about is, people still try to stereotype the west coast as being all about gangs. but infact most rappers from the west coast arent on that **** at all, and really never were, it was only a handful and they were extremely popular so the west coast got stuck with that image.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:07 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,063 times
The two guys to me who always get lost in the whole greatest rapper of all time discussion are Rakim and Big Daddy Kane. These were the guys that Biggie,Nas, Jay looked up too. Had they peeked in the 90's, people would be talking about them as G.O.A.T.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:32 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
The future of hip hop

Kreayshawn - Gucci Gucci - YouTube

Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
lmao im afraid sir klato is right.....that actually doesnt sound too different from what alot of rappers sound like nowLOl.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:57 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
Quote:
Not all Rap music are low class, there are some classic songs from
2 Live Crew are very classy.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
Good points all around. And yes, a rapper needs more than just flow, there's also content, versality, and of course obviously lyrics/rhymes. Some rappers have all 4 (like nas) and 1or 2. Biggie really just had the flow to me, none of his lyrics really made me go "....wow, that line was crazy" or even that moment where you laugh because you're like "That is genius..."

Coincidence anon, I love tupac. Now, some say he is overrated also, but I don't think so. He gets acclaimed being the best rapper ever by many, of course it can't be proven factua that he is but however the thing to remember is that you can actually see where these claims are coming from. All that you said was true, tupac had songs about almost it all lol. Even a good party track (California Love) along with his more deep material.
But I actually have one question for you, being another tupac fan. I always liked the tupac BEFORE he got with suge knight on death row, the direction he headed after to me wasn't the tupac I liked, how do you feel about his "change" I guess you could say? Me against the world is one of my favorite cd's but All Eyex On Me just didn't really have the same impact on me. This thug persona I just didn't like, although the song Life Goes On and I Ain't Mad At Ya to this day still is playing in my ipod.

Also about AZ, the song the format is great, but I think one of the BEST rap songs period is Rather Unique by him. This song IS the definition of hip hop.

About this whole "Hip hop is dead". I think it's overblown, honestly you have some people who pretty much if it's from post 2000, it's not "real hip hop". Lupe Fiasco is a phenomenal artist, I love his music, and he gets respect in the rap community but no, the fact he is a more current artist makes him "He's good. But not great." Now, him and J.cole are 2 rappers of this generation who are more on the popular side who to me are possibly the future of the genre. I even was on a forum the other day people actually said J.cole was "Ok...he's alrite, nothing special. Definitely not better than nas." But had Nas dropped an album tomorrow with J.cole's lyrics they'd be crying "THIS IS GREAT, REAL HIP HOP RIGHT HERE". But J.cole I just think needs to tone down the cursing.

Kanye...Eh...I used to really admire his uniqueness and more difference from the stereotypical rapper but since his mom passing he is totally a new person musically.
Rather Unique was bananas... Just wanted to post a famous song people could relate to and probably jam to more cause of the beat... love the beat in the format...

I'm with you 100% on Tupac's change... My favorite tupac style was when he talked about real life struggles and trying to get out or help the people close to him... Songs like Pain, Until the end of time (the dude thats singing when he gets towards the end always gives me goosebumps in that song), Ghetto Gospel, Keep ya head up, etc.

And it's really crazy that you mention J Cole cause I thought I was going crazy hearing all these people say he's trash... I'm listening to his stuff and thinking to myself am I such a fiend for new good hip hop that I lowered my expectations? Cause as far as what i hear the dude is nasty... And I hope Lupe keeps his same relatively clean lyrics cause in Lasers he cursed a little more than his previous stuff...

As for kanye, I don't really agree with anything this guy does outside the mike, but most of 808s and heartbreaks and some random tracks after that aside, I still give him respect for his lyrics... he's an animal and the combination of him and jay in watch the throne still got people salivating... I get chills listening to Murder to Excellence... It's songs like that that take me back to the good old days and it seems like people are starving for music like that to come back cause as soon as that album dropped it was all anyone could talk about...

Also with Kanye, even though his personal antics become annoying at times, I think alot of it is that he's misunderstood... No doubt he's cocky as hell and needs to shut his mouth sometimes but alot of what he speaks about in his songs and what he says is really for the betterment and recognition of black people and positive black artists while tearing down those who seem to be against that in his eyes... Whether he's right or wrong is a different story but at least from what we can see there's a method to his madness...

Old 08-20-2011, 11:36 PM

233 posts, read 906,727 times
Default Females!!!

I just wanted to point out some of the old-school female Hip Hop artists like Salt & Pepa, MC Lyte, Roxanne Shante and Queen Latifah. They were all capable of performing without the overly sexy images you see today.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
Good points all around. And yes, a rapper needs more than just flow, there's also content, versality, and of course obviously lyrics/rhymes. Some rappers have all 4 (like nas) and 1or 2. Biggie really just had the flow to me, none of his lyrics really made me go "....wow, that line was crazy" or even that moment where you laugh because you're like "That is genius..."
Are you kidding me? BIG had it all...I can name 4 songs on Life After Death alone that show the versatility:

Notorious Thugs - fast flow
I Got A Story To Tell - self-explanatory
Sky's The Limit - conscious
Ten Crack Commandments - creativity

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-21-2011, 10:13 AM

864 posts, read 1,123,534 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City