U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:11 PM

18,673 posts, read 24,893,437 times

Advertisements

Hurricane Irene seems like it is posing a realistic threat to the area. Most predicted tracks seem to have a strike at Level 2 or 3, near or directly onto the City.
This hasn't happened in a very long time and a large storm surge funneled in by the coastline shape is scary stuff for anyone in lowlying areas.

Get some flashlights ready along with necessary foodstuffs and potable water for a couple days, and most important...fill up the bar.

(Just reminded self to fill up a 5 gallon water can.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,029,336 times
Is it looking like it will hit Saturday night? What's going to be the worst time?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:16 PM

High Tides for The Battery (New York Harbor) are:
Sat: 7:22 AM; 7:30 PM
Sun: 8:07 AM; 8:16 PM

If the spit really hits the fan it will likely be at one of those times. I wonder which subway station entrance is closest to sea level? That's the way the PATH system flooded in the 1993 Storm of the Century. Hudson water cascaded into the Hoboken station and filled the tubes...system was shut down for weeks.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,403,608 times
I live in a "Zone A" evacuation zone in the East Village. Considering visiting family upstate this weekend.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 AM

I'm thinking about the Second Avenue Subway flooding...but I have no idea how the tides on the East River work.

Any guesses on which subway entrances are closest to sea level? Bowling Green? Wall Street?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 AM

551 posts, read 931,541 times
Does anyone here know if Irene will be strong enough if it will destroy NYC like blown down all the buildings and turn NYC into a pile of rubble? I really hope not because that would be very bad. What about the pre-war buildings, could they be able to survive hurricane force winds or will they be flattened? I don't know how it is possible to evacuate 8+ million people out of NYC, I hope this isn't so bad. I looked at the Weather channel's website and it said NYC can expect "39+ mph" winds on the storm tracker. It looks like, if the computer forcasting is right, NYC will not get the big destructive part of the storm. I hope it doesn't end up destroying the city.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 AM

1,362 posts, read 1,424,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
High Tides for The Battery (New York Harbor) are:
Sat: 7:22 AM; 7:30 PM
Sun: 8:07 AM; 8:16 PM

If the spit really hits the fan it will likely be at one of those times. I wonder which subway station entrance is closest to sea level? That's the way the PATH system flooded in the 1993 Storm of the Century. Hudson water cascaded into the Hoboken station and filled the tubes...system was shut down for weeks.
This might affect all MTA trains. The MTA might use this as an example of why increases are necessary in order to improve stations, equipment,etc. Monday will be a fun day.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 AM

15,729 posts, read 8,605,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
Does anyone here know if Irene will be strong enough if it will destroy NYC like blown down all the buildings and turn NYC into a pile of rubble? I really hope not because that would be very bad. What about the pre-war buildings, could they be able to survive hurricane force winds or will they be flattened? I don't know how it is possible to evacuate 8+ million people out of NYC, I hope this isn't so bad. I looked at the Weather channel's website and it said NYC can expect "39+ mph" winds on the storm tracker. It looks like, if the computer forcasting is right, NYC will not get the big destructive part of the storm. I hope it doesn't end up destroying the city.
A Category 1 hurricane would not destroy New York. You would need over 100 mph winds to do major damage to buildings, and even then it would likely only knock out high rise windows and damage some roofs. Worst issue with Irene in NYC would be flooding.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,096,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
Does anyone here know if Irene will be strong enough if it will destroy NYC like blown down all the buildings and turn NYC into a pile of rubble? ..
Don't panic. Irene is not that strong yet. It may take a cat. 5 hurricane like Andrew to topple some hi-rises, but definitely not all.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:02 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,027,891 times
Still to early to tell what the storm will do to the city, if it stays off the coast it will most likely be a heavy rain event, but some models say it could track inland to the west of NYC, this would be the worst case scenario, with potential for major flooding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or