U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 PM

25 posts, read 22,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
Don't forget that in NYC, as high schoolers (I assume) her children will not necessarily be attending the "zoned school." They will have to make a selection of preferred high schools and go through the application process. So she could, theoretically, live in a less desirable neighborhood but have her children in a good high school, or vice versa.
Hmmm. I guess there's no guarantee of which school my children would end up at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:44 PM

393 posts, read 470,243 times
True, but Forest Hills is a good bet because it's one of the remaining zoned schools, not a specialty school (like a tech high school or something), so it's easier to get in, especially this late. With a tech school or other specialty public school, you'd have had to apply already. If you live in or near Forest Hills, that high school shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get into.

(also, Queens is a great place for local stores, but if you need to go to a chain like Target, Radio Shack, or Macy's, hop on the subway and go into Elmhurst, they are all there. Info I wish I'd known!)

Old 08-28-2011, 12:07 AM

596 posts, read 784,978 times
I agree with Forest Hills in Queens and perhaps Bay Ridge in Brooklyn. The zone school for Bay Ridge is Fort Hamilton HS and it's not a bad school. I believe there are options in NYC that fit your budget; the real catalyst here is finding a neighborhood with a good zone school. That way your kids are guaranteed a safe school to transition into. Those are the only two neighborhoods I could think of right now.

As mentioned, your kids can apply to any school and the decision is a mixture of lottery and grades. I would say mostly lottery based on my experience back when I applied for HS. Just google best nyc high schools to find rankings and lists.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:29 AM

Oooh, also, you could afford St George in Staten Island, but Staten Island is weird without a car. It can be done, but it's sorta like New Jersey. Cars are recommended. However, St. George being the most urban area of the island, it may be a little easier, you are right by the free ferry that goes into Manhattan.

I still recommend Forest Hills/Rego Park/Kew Gardens though.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:45 PM

93 posts, read 129,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMama View Post
I am coming to New York next week for a job interview. The job would pay about $60k and they'd give me 3-4 weeks to move up to NYC. I currently live in Florida and have a car.

The job is in downtown Manhattan. I have two teenagers, and dogs. I am considering selling the car before I move, but if I found a nice place to live outside the city and needed it for the commute I'd keep it.

I can afford up to about $1600 a month rent for a two bedroom.

Does anyone have any suggestions for safe areas with good schools, and a reasonably easy commute, which would accept dogs? I don't care if it's a long commute - I just want to be in a safe neighborhood where I can either have my car, or be a short walk from public transportation.

Thanks in advance!
Depends on your ethnic background

Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 PM

25 posts, read 22,748 times
Thank you guys! I will definitely check out Forest Hills and St. George. If necessary, I can keep my car.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:38 PM

You can't afford to keep your car with two kids and $60000. Also check out Sunnyside and Woodside, there's a bit less in the way of transit and shopping but they're very safe and affordable, with good schools.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:27 PM

116 posts, read 225,779 times
Also, I saw something a few pages back about increasing the rent that you have budgeted - most places in NYC won't take you unless you make 40X the rent - so on $60K, that would be a maximum $1500 you could afford.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 PM

^^ good point, and bad thing to find out too late. I was looking around casually for an apartment for myself, and you can afford this building: Forest Hills Best Apartments Apartments, 115-14 Queens Blvd Forest Hills, NY - Apartments for Rent on ApartmentGuide.com | Forest Hills New York | 77917 it's right by the subway too!

maybe we'll be neighbors! I'm thinking I'm gonna live closer to the river, but there's never any telling!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:20 AM

3,361 posts, read 3,749,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMama View Post
Thank you guys! I will definitely check out Forest Hills and St. George. If necessary, I can keep my car.
The zoned high school isn't too good (for St. George. Forest Hills has some very good schools), but the advantage of being in St. George is that they can take a bus or train to virtually any other school on SI.

Just keep in mind that the travel time will be around 30 minutes to get to a good school (including the walk from the bus/train to school, but not including walking from home to the bus/train)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City