U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 12:50 AM

186 posts, read 988,661 times

Advertisements

how many people have lived in cockroach infested apartments in New York? Every apartment that ive lived in is cockroach infested for some reason!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 05:29 AM

1,568 posts, read 2,251,308 times
I always lived in them when I lived with my parents. Since I moved in with my husband, I have never lived with those vermin. (Thankfully). I'm not sure how we got so lucky. In one of the places, we lived right above a restaraunt. But my DH has always been vigilant about buying Combat, even without seeing any roaches.

The real question is how many landlords do a monthly extermination like they are supposed to do?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:33 AM

124 posts, read 377,171 times
Lax landlords, slob neighbors, ancient building codes, location- all of them contribute to the vermin problem.

They run on instinct. They go where the food is and, depending on the time of year, where it's warm. In the house where I grew up, we had a HUGE problem with waterbugs- not just roaches, but the big friggin waterbugs- mice and silverfish. We weren't slobs, however, the people in the attached house next to us.... well let's just say every time their front door opened, we held our noses. That and the construction on the lot behind us was enough to draw them in to our place.

Stuff like Combat, borax, that gel stuff and Raid worked wonders. I sprayed Raid to kill one waterbug, and over a month later I was finding dead ones in the same room! What worked even better for us was getting a cat. They don't just kill what comes in, they keep out what might come in.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 AM

9,682 posts, read 20,012,406 times
Cats are great for household pests. They really help to stop them from spreading. I know not everyone likes cats, but they are perfect apartment pets. Only thing is they leave hair all over the place.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:55 AM

127 posts, read 439,300 times
My husband and I lived in a nice building our first three years together, and still there were roaches. Not a swarm, but enough to do something about it. Rather than deal with the management or super, we brought in our own exterminator every month. He was retired, but did this on the side for a reasonable price. (I think it was like $20 or $25, and this was 12 years ago).

Never saw another one.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
My husband and I lived in a nice building our first three years together, and still there were roaches. Not a swarm, but enough to do something about it. Rather than deal with the management or super, we brought in our own exterminator every month. He was retired, but did this on the side for a reasonable price. (I think it was like $20 or $25, and this was 12 years ago).

Never saw another one.
yeah you got lucky for that price but if the landlords did it for us since we pay a lot of rent then there would be no problem and we might put it a good word for them y'know...

Old 08-16-2007, 04:52 PM

1,587 posts, read 984,909 times
You can never get rid of them, but you can beat them to a draw.

Be absolutely clean, borax, Combat, Roach Motels. Deprive them of habitat and they'll (mostly) go elsewhere.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:56 PM

when i lived in dallas, if you had an apartment above the first floor, you wouldnt have a cockroach problem at all, youd have some spiders but thats it

Old 08-16-2007, 05:20 PM

127 posts, read 439,300 times
In Houston, cockroaches were practically tenants. Ugh -- and those tree roaches!

Old 08-16-2007, 06:37 PM

yeah yeah i know what youre talking about haha my cousin had that problem in Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City