U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM

3,786 posts, read 2,824,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
With your million cans of tuna and other non perishables. Gallons of water, bread, Vienna sausages etc.

So how did everyone make it through the minor RAIN storm? That's really all it was.....

I slept through the night. I didn't even hear any wind. Woke up, all power still on. Made a nice breakfast and now watching the news exaggerate the (non) damage.
lol I feel the same exact way...and I'm watching the news trying to scrounge up enough evidence to justify the hype...just smh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM

7,901 posts, read 13,772,100 times
Right now chanel 2 news. Some suburb in LI, lol, kids splashing around in the water. No matter what, kids always find a way to have fun...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:27 AM

1,365 posts, read 513,163 times
CD NYC has over 10 Irene related threads

Old 08-28-2011, 09:28 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,128,420 times
Quote:
With your million cans of tuna and other non perishables. Gallons of water, bread, Vienna sausages etc.

So how did everyone make it through the minor RAIN storm? That's really all it was.....

I slept through the night. I didn't even hear any wind. Woke up, all power still on. Made a nice breakfast and now watching the news exaggerate the (non) damage.
I guess it depends on where you live. I am sure the people who have flooded basements, no power and damaged property due to downed trees and debris may not agree. Good for you that you were able to sleep through the night and sustained no damage.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 AM

2,940 posts, read 4,014,898 times
Quote:

so how do you feel now? So cool that your friends call you Coolo?

Seriously what a bunch of whiners. Like if getting some water, some cans of tuna and staying a few hours inside was such a big deal. It's like if were ask to build the whole subway system all over again or climb the Everest in shorts.

And don't feel so bad for those people because I bet you they will consume that water and tuna anyway in the next few days.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:31 AM

1,193 posts, read 862,917 times
I did nothing differently lol I went to bed and woke up refreshed. Its always better to be safe than to be sorry but some ppl always go overboard.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,162,563 times
Well look at it like this, I was watching ABC and NBC local affiliates online this morning and it's a good thing that there were some preparations taken. Looking at all of the 15ft sand bars that were created to stop the surge was helpful and even then the water still got into the streets in a lot of low lying areas. The flooding would have been much worse if they hadn't done that.

3 million without power and 10 dead is still not good though. Be happy is was only a Cat 1 though. I know NYC'ers will think they've braved something tremendous, so hopefully you all never have to see a Cat 4 or 5.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:36 AM

39 posts, read 73,229 times
I was up all night in fear a tree branch was going to crash through my roof. I keep hearing cracking noises, then, boom! A good chunk of ceiling fell through. Not because of a branch, but still not cool. So I put a few buckets til catch the water, but bugs still flew in all night.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:38 AM

2,019 posts, read 2,621,901 times
These things are always a matter of perspective. People who wake up and see a wet yard and no trees down, no floods, will say it was a dud and what was the big deal. If someone a few miles away has their car crushed by a tree, the person who has no damage doesn't see that as an issue. To them, it was nothing so they express disappointment at the letdown.

I'm so tired of this television coverage. I understand that you have to be prepared for these things but the coverage looked designed to incite panic. The bigger issue is that the next time we are in the path of a storm, people will remember this and not evacuate or prepare adequately.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 AM

12,246 posts, read 11,804,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I think he did the right thing. Nothing happened because no one was on the road.

yeah, because when we had the blizzard, bloomberg did nothing for us that is why he was so gung-ho about this....

The media put everyone into a frezny, it was no different thatn any other hurricane we had......

Now we won't be able to get to work Monday and we will all lose a days pay like when we has the blizzard, so he did us no favors by shutting down the sybway....

When is Bloomies term up???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City