U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM

51 posts, read 86,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
Silly, no. Annoyed and irritated, yes. My roommate had been HYERVENTILATING for the past week. She bought hundreds of dollars worth of canned food, a generator, I can't even walk into my kitchen because there's so much bottled water. She yelled at me for not "pitching in" like she did. Couldn't take a shower last night because she insisted on filling the bathtub with water. She sat in front of the TV for 12 hours yesterday watching TWC at their fever pitch. I am ready to raise holy hell today. People need to get a grip. Be prepared but all this hysteria and masturbation over it... get real.
This literally made my laugh out loud, the visual of your kitchen in my head is hysterical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:34 AM

9,827 posts, read 21,362,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJM View Post
This literally made my laugh out loud, the visual of your kitchen in my head is hysterical.
I'm trying to figure out why the hell the roomie filled a bathtub with water? What good is that gonna do?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:36 AM

5,041 posts, read 5,369,328 times
^ water for the toilet

Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 AM

121 posts, read 183,662 times
So because you didn't make some preparations IN CASE this was a major storm, you feel so cool...huh? Get over yourself. If the **** had hit the fan you'd be singing a different tune. Thousands of people lost power, many basements flooded. Our roof is shot and we were up all night watching a leak praying the ceiling wouldn't collapse. Was it nearly as bad as it was predicted to be? No. Could it have been? Yes. The reason why you are all here laughing about it is because preparations were made. We are a city of over 8 million people. Remember the "A" train that was stranded during the blizzard for hours? Yeah, well we would've had a lot of that had the trains stayed running. We would've also had a lot of dumb people out in the storm and possibly a few people killed by trees. SMH...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 AM

9,827 posts, read 21,362,082 times
There is ONE problem with the overreaction and media exaggeration. The next time something like this or worse happens people will take it lightly and it will not be pretty...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 AM

3,008 posts, read 4,136,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4ARainbow View Post
So because you didn't make some preparations IN CASE this was a major storm, you feel so cool...huh? Get over yourself. If the **** had hit the fan you'd be singing a different tune. Thousands of people lost power, many basements flooded. Our roof is shot and we were up all night watching a leak praying the ceiling wouldn't collapse. Was it nearly as bad as it was predicted to be? No. Could it have been? Yes. The reason why you are all here laughing about it is because preparations were made. We are a city of over 8 million people. Remember the "A" train that was stranded during the blizzard for hours? Yeah, well we would've had a lot of that had the trains stayed running. We would've also had a lot of dumb people out in the storm and possibly a few people killed by trees. SMH...
I'm sitting here watching NBC New York online live now and they are interviewing two people who had to be evacuated from their homes by boat and they are describing what they went through. Entire basement from floor to ceiling filled and water taking up several feet on the 1st floor. Not everyone made it through unscathed. All of you who are joking because it didn't hit you, be thankful because you could be one of the thousands who it did hit or one of the 3+ million without power or 11 dead. It's not really the wind during a hurricane that gets you, it's the water and the flooding.

51 posts, read 86,962 times
Default True

Doesn't change the fact that his story is funny. Sorry about your roof, my garage is flooded, but I'm sure you can still crack a smile and laugh a little.

4,894 posts, read 5,443,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
Don't be watching the news. They're blowing up a lowly Cat 1 hurricane into a furious, hyper storm that's gonna level the city. Talk about sensationalism.

Seriously, all NYC is gonna get is a little rain, a little wind and not much else. Everyone is SERIOUSLY overreacting.
And this exactly what happened!

I've never seen something so overblown in my life. The rain we received 2 weeks ago was twice as worse as this!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:43 AM

9,347 posts, read 13,178,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I'm trying to figure out why the hell the roomie filled a bathtub with water? What good is that gonna do?
Maybe roomie has been in a situation where she's been without power and running water for an extended period of time.
The water in the tub is for flushing toilets, washing clothes, washing dishes, and using for sponge baths. Bottled water is for cooking and drinking, why pay for water to flush down the toilet?
I've been in that scenario twice, no running water for two weeks, it's not pretty. And while Memphis is not a huge city like NYC, it's not just rural areas that get hit with long term major power outages...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 AM

121 posts, read 183,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJM View Post
Doesn't change the fact that his story is funny. Sorry about your roof, my garage is flooded, but I'm sure you can still crack a smile and laugh a little.

The roommate story is funny. Reminds of my sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City