Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 10:37 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
Honestly, I can see why Bloomberg and Cuomo made the decisions that they made but the media went overboard, as they usually do. The people on this thread, mostly made up of those that don't even live here or the tri state area, didn't help either. Some of the flooding that happened usually happens with heavy rain anyway.

I just want the MTA to restore service and for things to get back to normal, including the regular scheduled programs.

Hey, hey now, let them take their time. A three day weekend wouldn't be that bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
Silly, no. Annoyed and irritated, yes. My roommate had been HYERVENTILATING for the past week. She bought hundreds of dollars worth of canned food, a generator, I can't even walk into my kitchen because there's so much bottled water. She yelled at me for not "pitching in" like she did. Couldn't take a shower last night because she insisted on filling the bathtub with water. She sat in front of the TV for 12 hours yesterday watching TWC at their fever pitch. I am ready to raise holy hell today. People need to get a grip. Be prepared but all this hysteria and masturbation over it... get real.
I was so glad to read that others thought this was funny because I just could not stop laughing reading it and picturing a hysterical person yelling at you to pitch in while she's sorting canned goods and blocking you from taking a shower.

Sorry you had to go through that but it was one hell of a funny post.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 AM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Tuna Sandwich

Tuna Casserole

Tuna Pasta

Tuna Salad

Tuna Pasta Salad

I'm gonna write a poem or song entitled "Step Away From the Tuna."

Old 08-28-2011, 10:53 AM

166 posts, read 443,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
The only thing Irene has taught me is that I have a ridiculously annoying roommate. I am so glad I don't usually have to spend this much time with her.
amen to that. now please let's get the trains up and running so I can be sure we can both go to work tomorrow and go back to communicating with each other by notes left on the kitchen counter

Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
Lots of ridiculous HYPE, I had a job to do in Europe and Idiotburg ruined the weekend with his hysteria. Hurricane? more like a mild tropical storm, It lost all of its power by the time it got up here...at least they had sense up in Boston to keep the MBTA running.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
When Irene hit NYC it was already a Tropical. Even as a Cat I is was kind of weird even for North Caroliners who experience hurricanes on a regular basis; Very atypical. A typical hurricane for those that have been through them, even a Cat I would be worse than what you all experienced. Even in Indianapolis, you'll receive straight line winds of 70+ mph a several times a year but it lacks the water. I've seen a hurricane Cat II and my house has been less than a quarter mile away from a tornado so I consider myself very lucky because when it really hits the fan, there's nothing you can do. There's no type of toughness that will actually make any type of difference. You try to hang on and if you make it through, count your blessings and clean up and realize when mother nature truly comes for you, there isn't a thing you can do about it. Adds a little bit of humility to things.

Yes. I have a lot of compassion for anyone suffering out there due to this storm, but this morning I woke up (at a friends' place) in the West Village hoping that for at least a while this situation will bring some folks back down to earth. Shopping was brutal in the Village. Not kidding... How can people maintain these fon fon fon fon fon attitudes in preparation for a hurricane? I don't get it. Maybe to mask their fears?
Who knows? I just know I'm ready to get back to Pelham Parkway. Maybe if I click my heels three times and chant, "There's no place like home. There's no place like home..."

Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
Photos, Video: Times Square Slip 'N Slide, Hockey, And Rugby During Irene Rain: Gothamist

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_08_slip0.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	84129

Name:	2011_08_slip1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	84130

Name:	2011_08_slip3.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	84131

Name:	2011_08_slip7.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	84132

Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Oh man listening to Bloomberg speak just now especially in spanish was like sticking needles inside my eyeballs after pouring lemon juice on them... Does this guy hear hmself and then it's like he loves to hear himself speak and can't get out of the way for anyone other than the MTA guy since he's so tall and it would affect his image... freaking egomaniac... not gonna hate on the job he did for this hurricane/tropical storm but that is one annoying man...

Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
The way the news people were talking about this hurricane, i thought it was about to be another katrina. This city really want well prepared enough for this.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:26 PM

484 posts, read 821,938 times
So what explains the overreaction by NYC? If one stopped to think about it for a minute, wouldn't one of realized that closing the entire public transportation system (including underground trains!) was unnecessary? Has NYC ever been really hit hard by an actual hurricane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City