U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,611,576 times

Advertisements

Once again just in case you thought this storm was weak... And the number is rising Flooding, cleanup and outages after Irene - Weather - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,056,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I don't think it was a joke for the 20 people that died. For the people who lost their homes or have severe damage.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Media hype was excessive, over reaction from the NYC Mayor, over prepared for irene and under-prepared for the snow storm, wtf. They could have had limited bus and subway service, but close down transportation, c'mon man, they had much more rain than this in recent memory!

It's a no brainer, one has to take the same precautions for bad weather, regardless, geez louise, water, can products, batteries, move from low lying areas, etc, what's the big effin deal, oh right, the sky was falling, I now understand the rationale behind the hoopla.
Do you know how much damage a Cat 1 - 2 storm would have done? We got lucky that it was a tropical storm that hit the NYC area. If it didn't weaken near Hatteras, we would have been in trouble. You can thank the dry air for the weakening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The eye of the storm passed over Central Park! Had the storm been more powerful it would have been a catastrophe. They couldn't predict the intensity, but they were very good a predicting the path of the storm. They did the right thing.
The models were really great on the path. The eye passed over Coney Island as a 65 mph Tropical Storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
This storm did do massive damage. I have never seen so many floods. Wow, there are counties under water! Just because the city was spared the worst (which is weird because it was a direct hit and the states north of us got hit hard), doesn't mean this storm didn't lead to deaths/damage. It was a really bad storm.
It was a really bad storm. It would have been worse if the Euro was right from Thursday night. It predicted a Cat 2 hitting NYC. Winds ove 110 mph.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:14 AM

40,058 posts, read 29,188,043 times
Part of the problem here is that a lot of people are not interested to do a little research about hurricanes and New York City. The big one that hit the city directly in 1938 was much more powerful than Irene, and the city survived. There was another direct hit in 1963, and it wasn't Armageddon then, either. Irene was not going to do any more damage than either of those hurricanes, period.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,056,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Part of the problem here is that a lot of people are not interested to do a little research about hurricanes and New York City. The big one that hit the city directly in 1938 was much more powerful than Irene, and the city survived. There was another direct hit in 1963, and it wasn't Armageddon then, either. Irene was not going to do any more damage than either of those hurricanes, period.
The reason for all the panic was because the City haven't seen a hurricane in a long time.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 PM

14,635 posts, read 16,687,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
lol. What news have you been watching? Untold suffering? Worst flooding in a century?

This is the kind of sensationalism and alarmist mis-information that caused the OP to start this thread.
I guess you have that Saul Steinberg New Yorker view of the world:

72 - The World As Seen From New York's 9th Avenue | Strange Maps | Big Think

Look at what is going on now in Vermont (a total disaster) - parts of New Jersey - North Carolina - 1/3 of Connecticut without power - etc. - etc.

Statements like yours make me sick. At least I have the ability to say there but for the grace of G-d go I (and I really mean that - having been through a few storms myself). And I feel sorry for those who are suffering - those people whose communities may take years to recover. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City