U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,282 times
Default Close Commute to NYU

Hi, I am relocating to the NYC area sometime next year and I wanted to get some information on some good safe areas to live in thats close to NYU. Also, Is it possible to rent out an apartment for $1000 a month in a decent and safe area? Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 04:00 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,162,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be New Yorker View Post
Hi, I am relocating to the NYC area sometime next year and I wanted to get some information on some good safe areas to live in thats close to NYU. Also, Is it possible to rent out an apartment for $1000 a month in a decent and safe area? Thank you!
Would you consider roommates? That might open up some more places

Define "close". In this city, the closer you are to Manhattan, the more your rent will be, so if you are willing to add 20 minutes to your commute, you can get a good deal on an apartment.

If you are willing to get roommates, you can try the eastern part of the East Village (say, east of 1st Avenue). There are housing projects between Avenue D and the waterfront, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

You'd either be able to walk or take the M8 bus across town to reach NYU.

If not, there are numerous subway lines near NYU. The (A), (C), (E), (B), (D), (F), and (M) stop at West 4th Street, and the (N) and (R) stop by Broadway/8th Street.

You can try along the (B)/(Q) line in Midwood or Sheepshead Bay, or along the (D), (F), or (N) lines in Bensonhurst or Gravesend (the closest subway line depends on which section of the neighborhood you are in)

Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 PM

4,502 posts, read 7,442,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be New Yorker View Post

Are you going to be a student at NYU? If so, ask them about student housing.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:03 PM

393 posts, read 415,710 times
In short, no, it is not possible to get an apartment for $1000 in a decent and safe area. There are a few exceptions but generally, you'll need at least $1200, especially being close to NYU. I'm not sure where you're moving from, but it's a safe bet that your dollars are worth less here. You make more in New York, but you spend more in New York too. I take it you are an adult who will be working at NYU. I would look anywhere along the East River in Brooklyn or Queens, which is also where I'm looking to move soon. Neighborhoods like Williamsburg, Downtown Brooklyn/Dumbo, Hunter's Point/Long Island City, Greenpoint, and Fort Greene will be much cheaper than Manhattan and give you about a 20-30 minute commute, which should be fine. You'll need to do a little exploring to find what areas you like and what areas you can afford. Additionally, Staten Island will give you about an hour commute, 20 or so minutes of which will be a leisurely, free ferry ride.

I live in Flushing, which is a 45 minute subway ride from NYU. It is a pretty fair distance from Manhattan, and I'm still paying about $1200 for a one bedroom. It's a pretty good deal too, and my apartment is basically in Flushing's Chinatown. It's very safe though. If that gives you an idea of how unlikely you are to find $1000 close to Lower Manhattan in a good neighborhood, then good. You're gonna need roomates if you want cheap in Manhattan, and a lot of people can't do it.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:34 AM

10,599 posts, read 9,038,511 times
Check Newport for a share. The zip in and out of town is incredibly fast and convenient vial PATH train and the area is the safest in Hudson County (NJ) plus the apartments are big with doormen and you are surrounded by terrific shopping of all kinds.

Go over and ask the doormen if you can see the bulletin boards...lots of shares advertised, all for under $1000 for a bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City