U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:11 PM

55 posts, read 417,194 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK CITY

here is a link that will give you photos of a few housing projects in NYC the site is an old version of urban decay that seems to have disappeared for the time being.

PS could anyone tell me what housing projects are the most notorious in terms of crime etc, or are they all similar?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 01:21 PM

2,369 posts, read 4,426,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big happy View Post
NEW YORK CITY

here is a link that will give you photos of a few housing projects in NYC the site is an old version of urban decay that seems to have disappeared for the time being.

PS could anyone tell me what housing projects are the most notorious in terms of crime etc, or are they all similar?

Thanks
Shoot,I think all housing projects are pretty notorious for crime and poverty.The ones I here about alot from NYC are the Sundview Homes and Queensbridge Housing Projects.But yeah basically thier all similiar.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:45 PM

318 posts, read 919,624 times
brownsville is bad too... near where my husband grew up in starrett city, linden houses... dunno if these are notorious but arent' they all bad?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
brownsville is bad too... near where my husband grew up in starrett city, linden houses... dunno if these are notorious but arent' they all bad?
All housing projects are bad yes,they all have crime.Most if not all of the people in them tend to be poor.And the living conditions inside many of them are terrible.Hustla718 knows alot about the housing projects of NYC.When hes on,he can probably give you a better description of the housing projects than me,he may be able to posts pics too.Thats why I made this thread in the first place,so I could find out about the housing projects in NYC.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM

that's fine, but i really don't want one. no offense, but i wasn't the OP on this thread - i was just contributing my $.02. they are all bad - i wasn't really asking as much as just raising the point that they're all bad. even less notorious ones...

Old 08-20-2007, 02:07 PM

1,536 posts, read 254,795 times
Brownsville Houses, BK:

YouTube - Brownsville Bloodz

YouTube - Brownsville Bloodz

Soundview Houses, BX:

YouTube - Bronx Bloods Lord Tariq Sex Money Murder Street-Gangz.com

Patterson Houses, BX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvdnxtpspL0

Old 08-20-2007, 02:10 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,368,604 times
I know that my housing project was raided by the ATF before me moving in, and it was in the news as well. 11 reported shootings in the summer of that year alone. It's been "quiet" ever since.

And not every single housing project under the NYCHA brand name are the same. A senior/legally disabled citizens building or exclusive development will not have the dangers of a regular housing project.

Housing had, or still has, a program know as "Working Family Preference". It meant that if you fit the definition of working poor, meaning that you can't pay market-value rents, you could choose any development you want and you get preference.

NYCHA was also know to segregate housing projects based on race, especially after white flight and ghettofication of many of the developments. The development that I currently live in is majority black. Other projects like Williamsburg Houses had a majority Latino residence and projects like Forrest Hills Co-op had a majority of white residents. It's still true but more subtle.

So in closing, yes the projects suck. Most are dangerous, some are ok and only a handful are safe.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
that's fine, but i really don't want one. no offense, but i wasn't the OP on this thread - i was just contributing my $.02. they are all bad - i wasn't really asking as much as just raising the point that they're all bad. even less notorious ones...
Im sorry,I thought when you asked if they were all dangerous,you wanted a description or something.Actually I was the OP of this thread.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Thanks for posting these Hustla.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:20 PM

i live in brooklyn. don't mean to assume, but just can safely assume that they are mostly all pretty bad. i 'm talking about ones in brownsville, eny, coney. it's a shame really. what's going on w starrett city? that went downhill - what's the status of that sale? affordable housing is so hard to find anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City