U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 AM

3,660 posts, read 5,746,957 times

Advertisements

I can't believe the crap I'm reading on this board. A friend, who also lives on Staten Island, lost EVERYTHING. The house is completely flooded. Others I know in the tri-state area have lost nearly as much. Streets are blocked by debris. Basements are now growing mold as owners try to clean them out. Hilly areas are having landslides.

35 or so people are DEAD. Rivers and towns all over the east coast are flooded, homes destroyed, lives ruined.

Some of you are complete *******s and not worth the air you breathe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 AM

4,480 posts, read 8,165,353 times
Beating a dead horse at this point.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:15 AM

1,810 posts, read 6,103,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I can't believe the crap I'm reading on this board. A friend, who also lives on Staten Island, lost EVERYTHING. The house is completely flooded. Others I know in the tri-state area have lost nearly as much. Streets are blocked by debris. Basements are now growing mold as owners try to clean them out. Hilly areas are having landslides.

35 or so people are DEAD. Rivers and towns all over the east coast are flooded, homes destroyed, lives ruined.

Those 35+ deaths were from 11 states. Some of those were preventable
such as that idiot shrink going whitewater rafting in Westchester during the hurricane while putting the lives of rescuers at risk.

What did you lose to make you so angry and bitter? or did you just wake
up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,122,197 times
It truly sucks to hear what happened to your friend.
There was a post, 'I love extreme weather". Well, yeh. If one doesn't get ****ed over by extreme weather than it's "coo"l to watch from afar.

However, Irene was a dud for areas not prone to flooding. Like I stated before the storm hit; those areas already prone to flooding would get screwed over. Those that weren't prone to flooding did not receive enough rain to warrant flooding.

We live by Jamaica Bay (about .3 miles) and the area was surprisingly dry by the time we got there around 2 pm. Some parts of the marshland were already drying. Even with high tide the bay didn't rise any more than normal. The marshlands are able to absorb high volumes of rainfall so we lucked out there too.

Wind wise, it was mild as well. During last years tropical storm, we had 3 trees down ( including our pine in the front yard) on our street alone. This time there were none in the entire neighborhood.

Areas that are prone to flooding got hit pretty hard.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 AM

4,841 posts, read 7,662,699 times
Quote:

In America, it definitely wasn't, but when it hit New York City it sure was.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 AM

914 posts, read 1,510,951 times
Quote:

I hear you girl. But the problem also lies on living with the New England weather that brings us doubts. The weather here is tempermental and are always assuming nothing will happens because, well... nothing ever does.

My folks, sister, brother and a bunch of my friends lost power during the hurricane and won't get it back till this coming weekend. I even saw a tree, legitimately fall into a house while I was standing on my porch.

I read one girl died in Vermont because she was standing on a bridge with her boyfriend and her dumb decisions caused her to get swept away and drown.

This hurricane was definitely for real, but I feel most of the people who have died were probably being stupid like the girl from Vermont.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,074,884 times
It could have been worse. Thank god it wasn't. It was supposed to be a Cat 2 hitting Cape Hatteras and a 1 up here.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM

3,660 posts, read 5,746,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Those 35+ deaths were from 11 states. Some of those were preventable
such as that idiot shrink going whitewater rafting in Westchester during the hurricane while putting the lives of rescuers at risk.

What did you lose to make you so angry and bitter? or did you just wake
up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
Any respect I had left for humanity.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 PM

11,230 posts, read 2,179,381 times

SUPPORT YOU NYCHISTORYGAL

Quote:

Old 08-30-2011, 06:26 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,202,910 times
A lot of people I work with live in Staten Island and New Jersey and they got hit badly. Many had flooded basements, damaged homes due to trees and are still without power. A friend had a tree fall on her roof, blast a hole in the top floor and several bedrooms were destroyed by water damage. She doesn't have thousands of dollars to replace all the kids' beds. Insurance will get them something but not right away. People had to evacuate their homes and are still unable to go home. Highway sections are closed so those with homes upstate have no idea what has happened to their house, nor can they go up and see because parts of the Thruway are closed and even if they reopen, there are entire towns under water. It's very sad to see.

There are many people that simply don't care about tragedy if it did not happen to them. I've heard friends saying that it was a non-event and were angry that they couldn't go out and about on the subway and how stupid it was that everyone was whipped into a frenzy of panic for what they perceive as nothing happening. These people are uninterested in the devastation that happens to other people and simply believe that if nothing happened to them personally then the storm didn't exist, was overhyped and didn't produce the "fun stuff" they were waiting for.

I think they would be singing a different tune if their roof was caved in by a falling tree and they actually felt the effects of the storm. Because they didn't, they just don't care.

I will say that the television stations went way overboard. We had days and days and days of panic inducing newscasts, interrupted television programming and essentially 24/7 coverage of this impending storm on every single channel. It was ridiculous.

What concerns me is if another storm heads our way at some point, people will think back to this "overreaction" and not prepare at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City