U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 PM

266 posts, read 341,150 times

Advertisements

Isn't this your 2nd or 3rd thread on this?

It is not that scary. Really. I'm sure I've told you that before.

Also, piece of advice. Do not sit in the 1st car at that station, since it seems like you frighten easily. At nights, most BC students will be sitting in the last couple of cars since that entrance is closest to the campus.

Sitting in the 1st or 2nd car means you will be walking the length of that station and sitting there alone for a bunch of stops and you seem like the type to get a heart attack from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 AM

307 posts, read 601,740 times
Ok Guys.
I'm back. Never got achance to check this thread on wednesday and thursday. Also, did not get a chance to read pages 2,3 and 4 before I took the 'dreaded' ride .

So here's the update: The ride was pretty nice and not at all scary. But, one thing to note is my class got over at 9:15 PM that day instead of 10:15 PM. Not sure of things are different after one hour.
As blackconcerse mentioned, I sat in either the last car or the one before that(I dont remember). And there were a bunch of other passengers that time, most were students though. I noticed that no one boarded or got off this train until Atlantic Avenue and that is the only portion that I always thought of as sketchy. Atlantic avenue onwards the train started gettinf full and people were standing once the train was in manhattan
(wall street,fulton street,borough hall, etc). Then I get off at times-square to board the 7 and ,man what do i see? No place for me to sit in the 7 train. It was soooo crowded. anyway, I'm never too concerned about the 7, its the safest train according to me. My only concern was/is the 2 train in Brooklyn. But it went off well so far. I hope my class always ends at 9 30 PM

Thanks to each one of you for ur reply. I'm unable to reply to each one because of the number of replies. I went through each reply today, wish I had checked the thread earlier though.
P.S.: Pepper spray sounds a good idea but I think I"ll wait to buy it. I might get used to travel at that hour, after 2-3 more rides

Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 PM

40,059 posts, read 19,773,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post
I might get used to travel at that hour, after 2-3 more rides
Yeah, you might find that the stories people tell aren't always reliable.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Ok Guys.
I'm back. Never got achance to check this thread on wednesday and thursday. Also, did not get a chance to read pages 2,3 and 4 before I took the 'dreaded' ride .

So here's the update: The ride was pretty nice and not at all scary. But, one thing to note is my class got over at 9:15 PM that day instead of 10:15 PM. Not sure of things are different after one hour.
As blackconcerse mentioned, I sat in either the last car or the one before that(I dont remember). And there were a bunch of other passengers that time, most were students though. I noticed that no one boarded or got off this train until Atlantic Avenue and that is the only portion that I always thought of as sketchy.
Atlantic avenue onwards the train started gettinf full and people were standing once the train was in manhattan
(wall street,fulton street,borough hall, etc). Then I get off at times-square to board the 7 and ,man what do i see? No place for me to sit in the 7 train. It was soooo crowded. anyway, I'm never too concerned about the 7, its the safest train according to me. My only concern was/is the 2 train in Brooklyn. But it went off well so far. I hope my class always ends at 9 30 PM

Thanks to each one of you for ur reply. I'm unable to reply to each one because of the number of replies. I went through each reply today, wish I had checked the thread earlier though.
P.S.: Pepper spray sounds a good idea but I think I"ll wait to buy it. I might get used to travel at that hour, after 2-3 more rides
The main reason why the Avenue H entrance is used is because you can easily figure out which train is the next train.
http://www.subwaynut.com/irt/flatbus...atbushn223.jpg

10pm ending makes no difference. The main time you'll see people getting off before Atlantic is when there is rain or extremely cold weather and people won't want to wait for the B44.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM

307 posts, read 601,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
The main reason why the Avenue H entrance is used is because you can easily figure out which train is the next train.
http://www.subwaynut.com/irt/flatbus...atbushn223.jpg

10pm ending makes no difference. The main time you'll see people getting off before Atlantic is when there is rain or extremely cold weather and people won't want to wait for the B44.
That was a great pic! thank You.. Yes, that's the entrance I use at late evening/night hours.

Not related to the topic but just curious: why would ppl get off before atlantic avenue to avoid rain/snow?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM

84 posts, read 139,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Klato View Post
Q. Is pepper spray and mace legal in New York (NY)?
A. YES, pepper spray IS indeed legal in the state of NY.
Since Mace is just a brand of pepper sprays, Mace is legal in NY as well.

Q. What are the pepper spray (or Mace) laws in the state of NY?
A. The law we are aware of regulates only the purchase and sale of self-defense sprays in the state of New York. In brief, the law requires that sale of defensive sprays within NY state is performed by special authorized dealers only; such dealers should perform the background check on buyers; sales to felons are prohibited etc. For complete details see the legal definition here.

Q. Where can I buy pepper spray in New York, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Rochester, Albany, NY (the list goes on...)?
A. We do not have a list of authorized dealers in NY state but we have a couple of tips for you:
- You might want to try calling hunting supplies stores, sports and outdoors, and, surprise-surprise: local neighborhood pharmacies. A licensed pharmacist could be an authorized dealer.
- Don't call big chain pharmacies, call your small friendly drugstore on the corner.
Mace is really different from pepper spray, even though there are pepper spray products that use the name. there is actually a difference.
Mace vs. Pepper spray

Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
That was a great pic! thank You.. Yes, that's the entrance I use at late evening/night hours.

Not related to the topic but just curious: why would ppl get off before atlantic avenue to avoid rain/snow?

The whole line from the Terminus up to President St runs along Nostrand Avenue, which is where the B44 bus runs. For those who take connecting buses, it's better to wait in the station when the weather is really bad for a couple extra minutes than to be out there and be soaking wet/nearly frostbitten/ whatever. You're in the station and you'd only have to endure harsh weather one time for whatever your other bus is.

I, and countless others, have done this before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City