U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 4,878 times

Advertisements

So I want a generalized opinion about a job i was going to be taking...
over a month i interviewed for a job in my artistic field. I recieved a phone call and met for the interview in a public coffee shop. i had a great interview, filled out a very detailed job application and knew it went very well. receieved a call the next week about a second interview: day cam to attend and the "manager" couldnt make it and suddenly had to do a phone conference. During that conference, she told me they were definetly hiring me, discussed payrate and such and she told me on monday she or someone else would be giving me my formal offer and schedule. No call. Thursday i emailed the girl who i initially was contacted by and she apologized and said the"manager" must have forgotten. She told me to call her which i did and she confirmed i was hired and that she would call me by the next after noon with a schedule. no call. Sent an email thanking for the offer and reminding about a schedule for training. Since the beginning both knew i was leaving my current job and would need to give notice. Tuesday I finally recieved a phone call, no response to email, and was told dates were still being worked out. I put in my notice and was finally given a date to tenatively start based on a bcakground check, which wasnt provided. the week before starting training, still hadnt receieved a background check form, hr form, contract, nada. I start to get concerened. i called several clients that they say they provide services to; one is snappy and says i should talk to the company myself, the other sayd outright they fired them and to follow my gut. never the less i receieved a call today stating i was being "unprofessional" by calling a client and "going against policy"....when all the while ive been given the runaround; now im being told the "director" wont speak to me, but is very upset and also that they will decide whether they still hire me. I am not going to work for a company which in my opinion is very unprofessional and untimely and who made accusations and repremanded me on policy i was never told.
Am I right in thinking this comany is very sketchy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 PM

84 posts, read 230,173 times
You gave your notice without receiving a formal offer letter? NEVER do that!! you wait until you get a letter that outlines your title and compensation.

But it is sort of bad form to go calling their clients.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM

thanks, i agree but because its an "artsy" job alot of times they dont do that. i know; with calling the clients i just asked if they were providing them services. Somehow it was able to get back to them and they just figured it was me.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,463,346 times
You should have waited until you received something in writing. Also, you don't call current customers asking for the scoop/gossip. This is common sense. Is this company well known or is it a small business or new start-up.

What exactly did you ask them? Hello, my name is joe sixpack and i was offered a job at this company but i have not heard back from them. From your experience with working with them, are they sketchy?? You should have kept it anonymous. Hi, i am a prospective client (make a fake name) and i was given your number as a reference of their work. Can you answer the following:

I believe you just did a double whammy. You might want to contact your old employer and take back your resignation. Afterwards, you will have to start looking ASAP since your old employer will now know that you're looking for a new place. Your old employer might not take you back too.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:41 PM

144 posts, read 227,929 times
The company might be sketchy, but calling their clients was very bad form from you.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:08 PM

i called as a prospective parent of the client, asking if they used services from so and so for my child, never said i was a prospective employee. from that was what i recieved my answers, so it was assumptuitive of the employer to think it was me. is it that unordinary to ask a company whether they still used services from so and so, where this company stated they did and openly advertised it?
i am lucky i am able to stay at my current job since they unerstand the situation and this "manager" is supposed to call tomorrow and give me the "directors" decision. supposedly it is a new company and they have very limited marketing and contact available for any information.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 PM

even sketchier, the girl who interviewed me and said she loved the job, now suddenly was "out of state" for a week and now no longer works for the company, and supposedly she had been there from the start up.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:34 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,625,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrigitte View Post
So I want a generalized opinion about a job i was going to be taking...
over a month i interviewed for a job in my artistic field. I recieved a phone call and met for the interview in a public coffee shop. i had a great interview, filled out a very detailed job application and knew it went very well. receieved a call the next week about a second interview: day cam to attend and the "manager" couldnt make it and suddenly had to do a phone conference. During that conference, she told me they were definetly hiring me, discussed payrate and such and she told me on monday she or someone else would be giving me my formal offer and schedule. No call. Thursday i emailed the girl who i initially was contacted by and she apologized and said the"manager" must have forgotten. She told me to call her which i did and she confirmed i was hired and that she would call me by the next after noon with a schedule. no call. Sent an email thanking for the offer and reminding about a schedule for training. Since the beginning both knew i was leaving my current job and would need to give notice. Tuesday I finally recieved a phone call, no response to email, and was told dates were still being worked out. I put in my notice and was finally given a date to tenatively start based on a bcakground check, which wasnt provided. the week before starting training, still hadnt receieved a background check form, hr form, contract, nada. I start to get concerened. i called several clients that they say they provide services to; one is snappy and says i should talk to the company myself, the other sayd outright they fired them and to follow my gut. never the less i receieved a call today stating i was being "unprofessional" by calling a client and "going against policy"....when all the while ive been given the runaround; now im being told the "director" wont speak to me, but is very upset and also that they will decide whether they still hire me. I am not going to work for a company which in my opinion is very unprofessional and untimely and who made accusations and repremanded me on policy i was never told.
Am I right in thinking this comany is very sketchy?
The interview place would have given me the clue they were sketchy and I would not have bothered to attend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City