U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 PM

10 posts, read 30,952 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to New York from abroad, and I got a Columbia University apartment close to W 177th & Fort Washington.

How's the neighborhood? Is it safe to take the metro from midtown late at night, around midnight?

Are there any good supermarkets / grocery stores, with a nice selection of fresh produce, meat and fish?

And one more thing, I urgently need a mattress once I arrive, I'll move-in immediately with only my luggage. Is there a mattress store near by which has a same day delivery service (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg)?

I'm on a tight budget, is IKEA the only option for furniture? Are there any good discount furniture stores that deliver to the apartment (5th floor with elevator)? I would prefer buying second hand, but the problem is, I just had a spinal surgery, and I don't drive, so carrying furniture is not an option (and since I'm new to the city, I don't know anyone, so I cannot ask for help).

Any other recommendations, tips etc.. about relocating to washington heights and settling are welcomed
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 06:09 PM

1,365 posts, read 538,274 times
How's the neighborhood? The neighborhood is a predominantly Dominican neighborhood. It has a small Jewish population. There is also a small White population. The Fort Washington area is pretty quiet and safe. You have little to no shady characters but not as much as you would encounter anywhere EAST of Broadway.

Is it safe to take the metro from midtown late at night, around midnight? Yes, i live on 179 btn Broadway and Ft Wash. You have the A train right on 177 Ft. Washington so you're commute to the train will be really short and quick. The A train is an express train. Just be aware and use common sense when you're out at night.

Are there any good supermarkets / grocery stores, with a nice selection of fresh produce, meat and fish? Yes, on 175 broadway you have a supermarket called Bravo and you have a small upscale grocery store called La Rosa on 176 broadway. You also have a lot of Spanish restaurants along broadway. (You have 2 on 175 broadway and 1 on 177 broadway) You also have the option of Freshdirect.

You have a Citibank on broadway btwn 180 and 181st and a chase bank on 181 St Nicholas. In regards to the bed situation, there are places to buy mattress in Wahi. There is a store on the corner of 180 on broadway not sure how much it will be to deliver. You can search on Sleepys for a mattress and maybe you can coordinate when to have it delivered. Sleepys - The Mattress Professionals

Let me know if you have more ?s.

Below is a website that can give you more info on Wahi.
Washington Heights & Inwood*News - DNAinfo.com

Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,386,434 times
I used to live next door to the Columbia building and only live a few blocks away now. I agree that the area is perfectly safe. There is also a security guard in the building and regular car patrols from Columbia security.

In addition to the grocery stores mentioned, there is also a Gristedes at 169/170ish that carries a variety of regular national brands, a growing selection of organic stuff and Carribean/Latin brands. However, I still do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods and take advantage of the elevators on the A train. Jin's on 181st between Ft Washington and Pinehurst has the best fruit. If I have to buy meat in the neighborhood, I go to Frank's on 187th.

If you aren't picky, I would try 1-800-Mattress for quick delivery. Sometimes they have cheapies ready for delivery.

On 181st St, you'll find Thai, Japanese, Italian, and American sit-down joints. There are also plenty of delivery options. I highly recommend using menupages.com.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:32 AM

10 posts, read 30,952 times
great! many thanks for the replies!

so i guess i'm moving to a nice place! i'll checkout Sleepys, because of my back problems I have to test the mattress first.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 AM

2,709 posts, read 3,198,328 times
I recommend 1800 Mattress too. I used them before and my mattress was delivered within 24 hours. Great prices too.

I have friends that live on 175th and Havens Avenue, and I never feel uncomfortable visiting them. The express A train is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City