Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:25 AM

650 posts, read 1,811,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Are you thinking of moving to Manhattan? I see from your profile that you list a Bay Ridge zip code. If it was me, I'd stay in Brooklyn!
Oh no, not thinking about moving there. I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks is the minimum. I'm expecting many people to automatically say over 100k just because they read "manhattan" and "live" in the same sentence. But I agree that you could get away with a lower salary if you're good with finances and whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 AM

129 posts, read 373,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I think it depends on your housing situation. If you are paying market rate and want to live by yourself, maintain a professional wardrobe, eat out a couple times a week, have drinks with friends, and take a few vacations every year then you need to make at least 150K.

If you've lucked into some type of affordable housing arrangement and take on a roommate you can get by on less than 60K.
I think this is accurate - I live that lifestyle on 115K. The difference between that and 150K is having your own place I think.

I share a 2 bedroom and it helps out with the costs so that was the sacrafice I had to make. I'm paying 1800 right now.. so thats a savings of about 700-800 a month on rent If I had a one bedroom to my self...maybe some day..sigh

Old 09-02-2011, 10:55 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,784 times
I live in a studio in a great building/neighborhood, by myself (11 blocks below 96th, to be exact). Between my 2 jobs, I make around $55k net. I have no trouble paying my bills, traveling, shopping and leading an enjoyable life (granted, I work several nights a week, so I go out less than the average person, but I also travel WAY more than the average person, so it evens out).

I don't have much in the way of savings but that's because I can't resist booking a flight anytime I have the opportunity. I plan on workig on that in the next year.

I don't lead an extravagant lifestyle, I would say I live nicely.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:58 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
You can also do subsidize housing

Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 AM

129 posts, read 373,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I live in a studio in a great building/neighborhood, by myself (11 blocks below 96th, to be exact). Between my 2 jobs, I make around $55k net. I have no trouble paying my bills, traveling, shopping and leading an enjoyable life (granted, I work several nights a week, so I go out less than the average person, but I also travel WAY more than the average person, so it evens out).

I don't have much in the way of savings but that's because I can't resist booking a flight anytime I have the opportunity. I plan on workig on that in the next year.

I don't lead an extravagant lifestyle, I would say I live nicely.
I need to find your secret!

How do you do this? I'm guessing your rent is cheap? I would imaginge your take home would be around 3K a month is that correct?

I imagine housing alone would eat up a huge percent of that.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrowe224 View Post
I think this is accurate - I live that lifestyle on 115K. The difference between that and 150K is having your own place I think.

I share a 2 bedroom and it helps out with the costs so that was the sacrafice I had to make. I'm paying 1800 right now.. so thats a savings of about 700-800 a month on rent If I had a one bedroom to my self...maybe some day..sigh

Why in god's name do you live with a roommate at 115K/year? I guess some people like having roommates?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:50 PM

215 posts, read 519,558 times
100k is definitely enough for a single person. If you want luxury, then sky is the limit.
You can easily get a decent studio or an ok 1br for $2k.

$1000 is more than enough for food, $200 for bills and you will be left with at least $2k a month for entertainment and other stuff.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 PM

393 posts, read 891,470 times
Quote:

move to the boroughs and you can get a 1br to yourself for less than you're paying now! think smart!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:23 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,784 times
Quote:
I need to find your secret!

How do you do this? I'm guessing your rent is cheap? I would imaginge your take home would be around 3K a month is that correct?

I imagine housing alone would eat up a huge percent of that.
My rent isn't cheap, I pay $1765 ($1790 starting in Nov). A large percentage of my take home (which is variable depending on night job, but definitely higher than $3k) does go to housing...

There's no secret. I don't go out to eat often (maybe once every 2 months?), I don't do takeout, I cook at home and pack my lunch (more for preference than for $$ reasons), I don't do a lot of shopping and when I do, it's sales/cheap brands (think Old Navy). I try to take the subway instead of cabs (only take cabs when I go out, which is not often). When I do go out, it's usually to places my friends work, so that's not all that expensive either.

My biggest vice is the traveling, and I am pretty savvy on getting good deals, etc.

I was born and raised in NYC, so I don't live the stereo-typical NYC "fabulous" lifestyle. I'm not judging if you do, but it just holds no interest for me. That's not "real" NYC to me.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:41 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I know many single people who live quite comfortably in Manhattan below 96th St on less than $60,000.Some manage to do it for under $50,000.
Comfotable is relative isn't it; or is it?

Relative to an average American middle class and upper middle lifestyle, can one be truly 'comfortable' in NYC with that income?

Wouldn't 'comfortable' entail a minimum of sacrafices and limited frugality? Wouldn't 'comfortable' include *some* luxury? Woudln't 'comfortable' include sans roommate? Wouldn't 'comfortable' include something more than a studio (perhaps even a doorman)?

Wouldn't 'comfortable' include taking a taxi to the office, rather than the dirty, crowded, hot, sweaty, subway? Wouldn't 'comfortable' include ordering lunch every day, drinks and dinner out 4 or 5 days a week? Wouldn't 'comfortable' include weekends of Brunch, Shows, Movies, Museums, Gallaries, shopping, parties, clubs, etc., all that is NYC?

Otherwise, what is the point of living in Manhattan---below 96th Street?

'Comfortable' requires a good deal more than $50/60K.

$150K is really truly 'comfortable', and more than half of Manhattan, below 96th St, earns a heck of a lot more than that!

Sure, if one doesn't DO much, or limits oneself to the 'free' stuff, you can do it with a lessor income and pouring most of it into rent; but, again, what's the point of living in Manhattan---below 96th Street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: