Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 06:38 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Half Austrian and the rest mixed Slavic (Galician, Ukranian, Polish, Russian...the borders kept changing in my great-grandparents' and great-great grandparents' day.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 08:18 PM

141 posts, read 353,620 times
My mother's family is Italian but 1st ancestors we could trace back were from Spain & France, and emigrated to Italy. Dad's paternal family is Italian and his maternal family is half French, half Cherokee (his grandmother was born on a reservation). Both sides have been here for at least 3 generations but I was the 1st born New Yorker

Old 09-03-2011, 10:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessR927 View Post
My mother's family is Italian but 1st ancestors we could trace back were from Spain & France, and emigrated to Italy. Dad's paternal family is Italian and his maternal family is half French, half Cherokee (his grandmother was born on a reservation). Both sides have been here for at least 3 generations but I was the 1st born New Yorker
You just won the City Data NYC Forum prize for being Native and a native!

Old 09-04-2011, 01:57 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,576 times
to the orig poster sure if you do a DNA home kit you may find out you not what you think you are. Lot of people assume if a parent was born in a particular place they are that nationality only to find out they are not. Or there dad is really not there dad

Old 09-04-2011, 03:20 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
My dad is half White[Euromut] and half African American.

My mom is half African American and half Trini[Black] with a little White sprinkled back in her ancestry.

But I just consider myself African American.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:04 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
I'm 50% Romanian (my dad) via Canada, so I also have Canadian citizenship. He was one of 9 kids and grew up on a farm. My mother was from Arkansas - her family goes back before the Revolutionary war in the US, so that side is a real mix - probably English, Irish, German, Scottish. I speak a little Romanian - I speak Spanish much better (people don't seem to expect that from a redheaded gringa).

Old 09-04-2011, 07:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
My family is from Dominican Republic. I believe my paternal grandfather was Spanish. My paternal great grandmother had very strong amerindian features that she passed to both my grandmother and father. On my mothers side things are even grayer since she is not even sure who her father was. My family history was messy and to add both sides werent the best at keeping these sort of facts in order so im a perfect candidate for one of those genelogical kits. Not to mention record keeping in DR is poor to say the least.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
My family is from Dominican Republic. I believe my paternal grandfather was Spanish. My paternal great grandmother had very strong amerindian features that she passed to both my grandmother and father. On my mothers side things are even grayer since she is not even sure who her father was. My family history was messy and to add both sides werent the best at keeping these sort of facts in order so im a perfect candidate for one of those genelogical kits. Not to mention record keeping in DR is poor to say the least.
Damn I know how you feel man, I too will purchase a geneology kit to trace my blood to other parts of the world. I inhirited an Irish Socttish last name from my dads side. My pops told me he is Irish and Black but my moms a mutt and her side of the family dont know who really is what. My moms grand father on her father side was said to be Brazilian living in Guyana but he looked like an East Indian, but had a Portuguese last name. If Brazilian he is probably mixed with European, Black and Amerindian. MY Grand Fathers wife side was also a mixture of Black and white aswell since they are light skinned aswell. My moms maternal side, her grand mother is black but her grand father is white British Naval Officer, this gave birth to my grand mother via a one night stand from what I heard. Then I heard a rumor of east Indian because on of my relatives are Indian in my moms side of the family and she claims my grand father is part Indian aswell as Portuguese and Black ancestry. My mom and her Siblings look white and some were born with red and aurburn hair. I come from a family that loved interracial sex. This explains why Im looking for a mulatto girl! But I need to get a genetic test kit!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:39 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Mostly Ghanaian, and at least some part Togolese. My great grandfather moved from Togo to Ghana, and I'm not sure if his wife or my grandma were Ghanaian. My parents immigrated to the States via England in the 80's.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
I'm 100% Filipino but have some heavy Spanish blood down the line from when they colonized the Philippines for 333 years. People always think I'm half white and half Filipino or something and some Hispanics even speak Spanish to me at the bodega, hah. Filipinos are mixed with Chinese, Malaysian, Indonesian, Spanish and Indigenous Native. Both my parents immigrated to the US for grad school and I was born at Edgewater hospital in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City