Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 22,729 times

Advertisements

It was recently discovered that my balcony was leaking on the one below. During the repair the tile and sub floor cement was removed from my balcony. A waterproofing material was cemented down as was a new surface. The balcony floor is now a full 2 inches lower than the original. The height of the threshold step on the inside is 6 inches, as was the original balcony floor level. Now the balcony step from the threshold is 8 inches. Stepping over the threshold was never an issue. Now, with the 2 inch difference, it is somewhat uncomfortable and I believe can potentially be dangerous.

My question is this - is there some city code specifying the height differential between inside floor and outside floor level? Or, is there some specification for the step down from the threshold to the balcony?

Thanks to anyone that can provide specifics on this issue. If there is a specification in the city building code, I would appreciate being provided with the code information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 09:44 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Not sure if this helps you, but here's a link to the NYC buildings department:

Department of Buildings

Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Not sure if this helps you, but here's a link to the NYC buildings department:

Department of Buildings
Thanks - I've spent hours searching this site and have, so far, had no success finding a specific answer to this question.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I do not think an 8 inch step is unreasonable and thus I would be surprised if it violated code.

All I could find was this stray comment in Garden Web:

Quote:
Some codes have permitted maximum riser height in the neighborhood of 8 1/4". Some now limit it to 7 3/4". Changing any part of a stair riser or tread changes everything except width. Lower risers mean more risers and treads. More treads means greater horizontal run (length). 8 1/2" is considered steep. Do discuss this with the stair builder. Please tell us what he says.
Personally I would like a FLUSH terrace but then the issue of rain driving into the apartment might arise.

From Stairs, Regulation Building Code U.S.:
Quote:
Riser Height:
Maximum of between 7 ¾" & 8 ¼" (some states regulate a minimum of 6")

Old 09-06-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I do not think an 8 inch step is unreasonable and thus I would be surprised if it violated code.

All I could find was this stray comment in Garden Web:

Personally I would like a FLUSH terrace but then the issue of rain driving into the apartment might arise.

From Stairs, Regulation Building Code U.S.:
I'm not sure if the "step over" the door threshold can be categorized as a step in the normal sense of the word. It is more like a bulkhead. There is no chance for water to come back into the apartment due to the manner of construction. In any event, having lived in the apartment for more than twelve years, we have never experienced any problem with water entering from the balcony.

I did find one reference to floor height of a balcony but am not sure if it is applicable in my spefic situation. The code reads -

c) Balconies, bridges and tunnels. - When serving as horizontal exits, balconies, bridges, and tunnels shall comply with the following: (1) Their width shall be equal to at least the width of the doors opening on them, but in no case less than three feet eight inches. (2) They shall be enclosed at each end by doors complying with subdivision (b) of this section. 3) The floor level at doors shall be the same as that of the building …”

Does this sound like it should apply to my case?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:55 AM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
That sounds like it's for egress situations only. That's not exactly a step, more like a curb. Are you trying to get your contractor to raise your floor up for free? You may want to check your contract and see if you have anything that states to redo the floor back into it's original condition. Sounds like they decided a sub-floor wasn't necessary and waterproofed right over your structural concrete. Which technically is fine, but it's really the lazy way out. They should have asked you first before doing that. They probably wanted to save time and material.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
That sounds like it's for egress situations only. That's not exactly a step, more like a curb. Are you trying to get your contractor to raise your floor up for free? You may want to check your contract and see if you have anything that states to redo the floor back into it's original condition. Sounds like they decided a sub-floor wasn't necessary and waterproofed right over your structural concrete. Which technically is fine, but it's really the lazy way out. They should have asked you first before doing that. They probably wanted to save time and material.
You are correct in your assessment of the physical situation.

My apartment is a co-op and the board and management company are responsible for the work. In fact, we were asked not to even speak with the workmen.

While I can understand them wanting to take the cheap way out - I'm concerned that the work might negatively impact the value of my co-op and wonder if I have a right to complain on that basis.

Besides everything else, they did such a poor job, so far, that the rain water puddles on my terrace and doesn't get anywhere near the drain. I'm hoping that when they fix the pitch of the terrace they'll be forced to raise the floor, at least near the door, enough so that the floor is closer to the height of the interior. It's a good 12 foot run from the door to the drain so a pitch beginning 2 inches high by the door might be realistic to expect.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
If they didn't pitch the floor like you said, then that's a legitimate reason to ask for a redo. Because once winter comes, that puddle will freeze and you don't want ice on your balcony.

I think you have a right to complain to your management, just do it nicely. You should bring up all these points you mentioned here. Not in an ******* kind of way, but in a concerned voice. Just a warning though, if they do decide to put in a new concrete sub-floor, they technically have to wait 28 days before they can apply the waterproofing and stone tiles over it. That's how long it takes concrete to dry and the waterproofing needs to stick to a completely dry surface. Otherwise it might leak again in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City