Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:33 PM

194 posts, read 622,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You can also become a member at The Whitehall without being a resident, which I think is currently about $900/annually for a single adult. TCR is in The Century, but it's a bit further away, and a bit more expensive. Both have pools, however, so that may be a consideration if you're used to a full-service club.

The local Bx7 bus goes to the subway in about 15-20 minutes to the A train at 207th or the 1 train at 215th/225th.
Way too rich for my blood. At Planet Fitness I pay $100/year. I'm sure those you mention must be better facilities, but not doable.

I actually have used the BX7 bus for years to get into Riverdale, because I live in Upper Manhattan. And yes, theoretically, it's 15-20 minutes to the train - but in reality, service can be maddeningly spotty, and by the time you factor in walk to and waiting for, you're adding easily another half hour on your commute (making the commute to Midtown easily over an hour).

No two ways about it - getting into the city would be far more annoying. I'm just trying to weigh that against getting a quieter neighborhood, and more apartment for my money.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by dirimini; 09-04-2011 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Grammar repair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 04:07 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
True, when you're that far north on Riverdale Avenue, life is a bit more difficult when relying on transit. During rush hour, the service is pretty frequent, but non-rush hour can be more difficult.

Have you looked around Cambridge, the southern end of Netherland, Kappock, Johnson, etc.? Spuyten Duyvil may have some apartments at a similar price point, and it's more convenient to get to the subway in Kingsbridge. And, if you were off Riverdale, below the monument, (Greystone, Waldo, or even Lower Riverdale Avenue on the hill) you would even be able to walk to the subway in a few minutes using W238th (a stair street) or walking down the hill to W231st. If you don't need to worry about parking a car on a daily basis, since this area can be a bit more congested in terms of street parking, and waiting lists for garages, it might be worth considering. These areas are equally as quiet and safe as the area you're considering. You will not find extensive grounds, with the buildings, but some are very close to parks, etc., such that it would not matter, and may result in lower maintenance due to not having to maintain landscaped features.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Friends live nearby...the bus-subway commute into "town" is more than a bit of an annoying schlepp.

Area is lovely. I visited once at Xmas time and froze my ass off waiting a half hour for the bus on Broadway.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:39 PM

194 posts, read 622,921 times
@bmw:

Thanks again. Yes, I've looked in the southern part, and seen a couple of nice places - but the price on the one in the northern end is really attractive. It needs a lot of work, and that's kind of what I'm looking for.

I've also seen a couple of places that are just on the cusp of Riverdale/Kingsbridge, the advantage of these being that they're near shopping on Broadway the #1 train, and not far from the gym. The area, of course, is not nearly as nice as the others mentioned, so once again, it's a trade-off.

In making my decision whether or not to seriously consider Riverdale, I'm also going to have to factor in the cost of the toll on the HH Bridge, as I drive to work in NJ. The GWB is already $8.00 a pop (or $6.00 off-peak, although I've heard they may be doing away with that), and I'd either have to add another $8.00 for the HH each day, or take the longer route through upper Manhattan, over the Broadway Bridge (free).

Life is a series of compromises, especially if you're not rich. *Sighs*

Old 09-05-2011, 07:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirimini View Post
Way too rich for my blood. At Planet Fitness I pay $100/year. I'm sure those you mention must be better facilities, but not doable.

I actually have used the BX7 bus for years to get into Riverdale, because I live in Upper Manhattan. And yes, theoretically, it's 15-20 minutes to the train - but in reality, service can be maddeningly spotty, and by the time you factor in walk to and waiting for, you're adding easily another half hour on your commute (making the commute to Midtown easily over an hour).

No two ways about it - getting into the city would be far more annoying. I'm just trying to weigh that against getting a quieter neighborhood, and more apartment for my money.

Thanks everyone.
Just in case, you didn't know, there's also the Bx10 along Riverdale Avenue, and the Bx20 runs during rush hours as well.

You'll probably be better off taking the express bus or Metro-North. You'll have to time yourself for a specific bus, since they run infrequently, but at least they're reliable and offer a one-seat ride to Manhattan (and a soft, comfortable seat at that).

If you want to save on the tolls, maybe you can find an apartment in Fort Lee, NJ. If you're near the GW Bridge, you'll have a bunch of buses that connect to the (A) at 181st Street (and there are also buses to the Port Authority Bus Terminal).

There's no free transfers, so when you do go to Manhattan, you'll have to pay both the bus fare and subway fare, but since you'll be traveling to NJ more often than Manhattan, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:17 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The nice thing about a renovation, provided you have a friendly co-op board, is that you end up with a home that's to your taste, so I can understand looking for something a bit rough that has upside potential, both in value and in meeting your wants/needs. And, the area is stable, so it's a smart investment as opposed to a rough apartment in more of an up-and-coming neighborhood.

Avoiding the Henry Hudson Bridge is not an easy task, since Broadway to Dyckman can be easy, or it can be jammed with traffic. Add to that, congestion on W230th if you need to pass through when the schools are opening in the morning, both pedestrian and vehicular traffic. The Deegan can be moving, or it can be jammed, depending upon the time during rush hour in which you'd need to use it, and whether or not there are events at Yankee Stadium in the evening.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City