U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2011, 02:41 PM

393 posts, read 471,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
When I lived in Chicago going to WI was like going to another (slightly hostile) country......LOL.
It's more joking than it is in NYC. Here in NYC some natives are absolutely serious about their hate of transplants. In Wisconsin, we always got a little sick of FIBS calling everything "quaint" and clogging up traffic on their way to Lake Geneva, but no one really hates them just based on where they live/lived. But, it is an indisputable fact that they are AWFUL drivers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 03:16 PM

6,643 posts, read 11,603,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
I'm from Queens and moved to NC in my early 20's. My ex (from Washington Heights) later came and joined me. We have since both moved back to NYC. What I can say is this- while there, I met a fair amount of NY'ers (from all over NYC and also LI). Pretty much everyone in my age group said the same thing- it is boring. Coming from NYC you are very accustomed to having excitement, tons of options for going out, etc. Living in a slow paced environment like that can be a real adjustment. NC can be a good option if you already have a family, are settled, ready to buy a house, etc. ..
I know a lot of NY'ers who moved to either The Carolinas,Georgia,Florida or Texas in the last 10 or 15 years.Most moved back to NYC after 2 or 3 years because they hated it. Most of the rest of them want to move back but can't because they are locked in to jobs they hate.

Only 1,who moved to Austin,is actually happy where he is.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:34 PM

8,538 posts, read 7,890,830 times
I have family who moved to NC. MY sister moved to NC with her husband who works for a finiancial group who transfered him to Charlotte, they have a wonderful home with a garage that can hold two cars. My niece who is ten years who is growing up in NC told me when she turns 18 she is moving to NYC. My aunt also moved to NC because her husband to a job offer at some huge hospital out there, they live in a house that you will probably find in riverdale that cost 5 mllion but in NC the price was half a million dollars. My aunts kids or cousins find NC boring and they all miss NYC. My cousins expressed interest on moving to NYC when older and have daddy pay for thier rent. NC is great for having and raising famlies and its much cheaper to do so aswell as more safe compared to raising a family in NYC and having to worry about, crime, schools and quality of life issues, only people with many can afford to raise children in Manhattan.

I have been to NC a couple of times, I try to be openminded also I tend to step out of the box. North Carolinians are nice and laidback group of people, but the badside is that the are religous and protestant society, if Catholic background may find it difficult to adjust down there. I also find it more easy for African Americans of NYC origin to settle in NC compared to Italians, Puerto Ricans or Jews etc because AA have ancestral and cultural ties to NC or the south. The woman in NC are hot they can really F and S. One time I put an ad on Craigslists on casual encounters and I got 30 replys from all sorts of women in the Charlotte area compared to having none here in NYC. What I also find funny is some Nyers in NC live amongst other Nyers and segregate themselves from NC natives of hick, redneck and black orgins. Its also funny that NC transplants to NYC, I know a few that when they move to NYC they dont wanna live near or around no poor blacks with guns, kinfe wielding Ricans or bat wielding Italians, and prefer to live in hip exclusive and or gentrified or gentfrifying areas of NYC and will pay the price$$$$ for it. There is also alot of crime down there. I remember watching the news and listening to reports of 6 different shootouts and all victims were killed, crime happens in both poor black and poor white hick areas of Charlotte and the rest of NC. I probably have a greater chance of getting shot down there since guns are legal compared to gun banning NYC. The ghettos in NC feel and look like ghettos compared to the ones in BX, BK Harlem/WHeights, NYC ghettos are like Beverly Hills compared to the ghettos of NC. We have to understand taht we are living through difficult times, the economy is really bad and there are young people like myself and others looking for there next big break. Americans have now become Nomadic and will leave the place of birth for oppurtunities to other states and cities which are attractive like NYC or sometimes more affordable and have better QOL like NC and Texas.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 PM

1,996 posts, read 2,121,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I also find it more easy for African Americans of NYC origin to settle in NC compared to Italians, Puerto Ricans or Jews etc because AA have ancestral and cultural ties to NC or the south. The woman in NC are hot they can really F and S.
I agree with both of these (repped you btw), I've visited NC so many times but i've found it easy to transition there because a huge part of my family comes from that state. The family that never left NC for NY actually did a lot better in the long run but that's another story. Yes and the women are hot and down to F hard I agree.

Its a slower pace of life, but you can still have plenty of fun down there.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 AM

8,538 posts, read 7,890,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I agree with both of these (repped you btw), I've visited NC so many times but i've found it easy to transition there because a huge part of my family comes from that state. The family that never left NC for NY actually did a lot better in the long run but that's another story. Yes and the women are hot and down to F hard I agree.

Its a slower pace of life, but you can still have plenty of fun down there.
Last time I was in nc the bartender was showing me how to do the cupid shuffle, im like wtf is that type of dance. She was hot, cute thick snowbunny. She was expressing interest about moving to nyc because charlotte and rest nc does not cater to native residents. Sadly same could be said about nyc. Im contemplating on going to visit some relative transplants and maybe set up a job interview.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:41 AM

127 posts, read 79,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddock_laker View Post
Exactly! To non-natives: FIBS are f--king Illinois bastards.
This F.I.B. always made sure to proudly wear her Chicago Bears coat and hat after she was forced as a teenager to move to the Armpit of the U.S.A, a.k.a. Racine, WI

Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM

641 posts, read 605,137 times
Quote:
I have family who moved to NC. MY sister moved to NC with her husband who works for a finiancial group who transfered him to Charlotte, they have a wonderful home with a garage that can hold two cars. My niece who is ten years who is growing up in NC told me when she turns 18 she is moving to NYC. My aunt also moved to NC because her husband to a job offer at some huge hospital out there, they live in a house that you will probably find in riverdale that cost 5 mllion but in NC the price was half a million dollars. My aunts kids or cousins find NC boring and they all miss NYC. My cousins expressed interest on moving to NYC when older and have daddy pay for thier rent. NC is great for having and raising famlies and its much cheaper to do so aswell as more safe compared to raising a family in NYC and having to worry about, crime, schools and quality of life issues, only people with many can afford to raise children in Manhattan.

I have been to NC a couple of times, I try to be openminded also I tend to step out of the box. North Carolinians are nice and laidback group of people, but the badside is that the are religous and protestant society, if Catholic background may find it difficult to adjust down there. I also find it more easy for African Americans of NYC origin to settle in NC compared to Italians, Puerto Ricans or Jews etc because AA have ancestral and cultural ties to NC or the south. The woman in NC are hot they can really F and S. One time I put an ad on Craigslists on casual encounters and I got 30 replys from all sorts of women in the Charlotte area compared to having none here in NYC. What I also find funny is some Nyers in NC live amongst other Nyers and segregate themselves from NC natives of hick, redneck and black orgins. Its also funny that NC transplants to NYC, I know a few that when they move to NYC they dont wanna live near or around no poor blacks with guns, kinfe wielding Ricans or bat wielding Italians, and prefer to live in hip exclusive and or gentrified or gentfrifying areas of NYC and will pay the price$$$$ for it. There is also alot of crime down there. I remember watching the news and listening to reports of 6 different shootouts and all victims were killed, crime happens in both poor black and poor white hick areas of Charlotte and the rest of NC. I probably have a greater chance of getting shot down there since guns are legal compared to gun banning NYC. The ghettos in NC feel and look like ghettos compared to the ones in BX, BK Harlem/WHeights, NYC ghettos are like Beverly Hills compared to the ghettos of NC. We have to understand taht we are living through difficult times, the economy is really bad and there are young people like myself and others looking for there next big break. Americans have now become Nomadic and will leave the place of birth for oppurtunities to other states and cities which are attractive like NYC or sometimes more affordable and have better QOL like NC and Texas.

Extreme overexaggeration and just by looks the worst ghettos here like worse, but crime down there is worse and you more likely to get shot down there.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,752,691 times
Quote:

So what's the big appeal of NC to people from the NYC area? I know the cost of living is much cheaper, but there are plenty of places like that. Is it a weather thing? I know the economy was good in NC back during the housing boom, but now it's pretty bad down there.

I would think a person from the NYC area would better fit in someplace like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Buffalo. Those places are more urban, Catholic, have an ethnic makeup that is more like NYC, and are probably even cheaper than NC. However, few people from NYC seem to move to the interior Northeast or eastern Midwest area.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 AM

1,981 posts, read 1,649,783 times
Ugh, I visited NC once, and thought it was awful. I could not imagine living there, or anywhere down south, for that matter. The bugs, nasty humidity, boring atmosphere. I don't get why people from the east coast, when they relocate, always insist on staying on the east coast (the majority of the time). Florida, NC, etc. I could not see myself living in any of those places.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:10 AM

31,954 posts, read 37,975,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
So what's the big appeal of NC to people from the NYC area? I know the cost of living is much cheaper, but there are plenty of places like that. Is it a weather thing? I know the economy was good in NC back during the housing boom, but now it's pretty bad down there.

I would think a person from the NYC area would better fit in someplace like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Buffalo. Those places are more urban, Catholic, have an ethnic makeup that is more like NYC, and are probably even cheaper than NC. However, few people from NYC seem to move to the interior Northeast or eastern Midwest area.
Great point and actually, I've been noticing more Black folks from say Brooklyn in Syracuse the past couple of years. So, you do get some. Syracuse is very affordable, is pretty safe, is becoming more and more diverse(Black, Asian and Hispanic communities have grown in and around the city, as well as some Bosnians and other white ethnics from Europe), has a below average unemployment rate and the schools in the area are good for the most part. If you are in health care, higher education, engineering and and a few other industries, you might be surprised. You even see Black people in leadership positions in and around the city fo Syracuse from a couple of school superintendents, the police chief, a state assemblyman, people on the board of ed., coaches, prinicipals, other politicians, etc. We also have a noticeable native American community in comparison to most Northeastern metros just south of Syracuse due to the Onondaga Indian Nation, with some in and around other parts of Syracuse. So, you don't have to leave NY, for a more affordable area with a little bit of something for everybody.

I understand the difference in transition to the South for say Blacks versus other groups. My parents are from SC and Mississippi and came to Syracuse back in the mid 1960's, when it had one of the highest rates of Black Northern migration in the country from the period of after WW2 until 1970. Some of my family stayed or went back from on my mother's side, as they had quite a bit of land. Interestingly, my dad's side seems to have made out better by moving up North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City