Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Charlotte has NYers in its web - m.NYPOST.com

Read the above article.

Cost of living in nyc says it all about natives becoming transplants to other states. I found this article pretty interesting that in one county where taxes filed bt a preparer 2000 of were ex nyers. I myself have seen yankee pinstripes on cars in nc. I wonder whats the turnover rate for nc transplants to nyc vs nyc to nc? I guess nyc and nus will keep on loosing nys will keep loosing its working middle class residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 05:44 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
My friend moved to Charlotte about 4 years ago. A considerable part of her neighborhood is from NYC.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 AM

166 posts, read 443,670 times
I'm from Queens and moved to NC in my early 20's. My ex (from Washington Heights) later came and joined me. We have since both moved back to NYC. What I can say is this- while there, I met a fair amount of NY'ers (from all over NYC and also LI). Pretty much everyone in my age group said the same thing- it is boring. Coming from NYC you are very accustomed to having excitement, tons of options for going out, etc. Living in a slow paced environment like that can be a real adjustment. NC can be a good option if you already have a family, are settled, ready to buy a house, etc.

It should also be worth noting that from what I saw, there is definitely some resentment towards the transplants from NY. Just take a look at the Charlotte forum (Yankees keep coming, Yankees want to take over). I saw cars with front plates that said "NATIVE" while there and actually got lectured on the civil war a few times. Then of course, you have the NY'ers who drive around NC rocking their yankee pinstripes and NY decals. I'm convinced that native/transplant dynamic exists anywhere you go.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:01 PM

393 posts, read 891,283 times
I have an aunt that used to live here in NYC but moved to Charlotte. (She was born in England to Serbian parents and moved to Chicago when she was little but then moved to Milwaukee and grew up there.) She says it's her favorite place she's lived other than Chicago. (She has also lived in Phoenix, Albuquerque, Oakland, Portland, New Orleans, Chattanooga, and a few other places I think. She can't stay in the same place for long). My sister and I visited her down there and it really was nice. A little slow, but a good city. I think it's funny that native New Yorkers ***** about the transplants here, but then they get that directed at them there. Lowkeystatus is right, I am native to Southern Wisconsin and we always harbor a certain bitterness for people who moved there from wealthy suburbs of Chicago.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:11 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddock_laker View Post
ILowkeystatus is right, I am native to Southern Wisconsin and we always harbor a certain bitterness for people who moved there from wealthy suburbs of Chicago.
That's funny... People from WI hate Chicago people, actually anyone with an IL license plate...They call IL people FIBS, you'll figure it but I suspect you already know

Old 09-05-2011, 01:16 PM

393 posts, read 891,283 times
Exactly! To non-natives: FIBS are f--king Illinois bastards.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Charlotte has NYers in its web - m.NYPOST.com

Read the above article.

Cost of living in nyc says it all about natives becoming transplants to other states. I found this article pretty interesting that in one county where taxes filed bt a preparer 2000 of were ex nyers. I myself have seen yankee pinstripes on cars in nc. I wonder whats the turnover rate for nc transplants to nyc vs nyc to nc? I guess nyc and nus will keep on loosing nys will keep loosing its working middle class residents.
Interesting thread Bronxguyanese. Thanks!

Also, areas like Greenville/Spartanburg, SC are becoming transformed. My niece and her family are going to have to relocate there because of her husbands job. His company has been priced out of NYC, way too expensive to operate here let alone afford housing anymore.

They've researched Greenville/Spartanvurg and actually found it to be a cosmopolitan city as well as Charlotte, NC. Lots of NY and NE transplants. They even found great pizza, of course it was run by an ex NY'er.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
When I lived in Chicago going to WI was like going to another (slightly hostile) country......LOL.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:34 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
LOL.The 'natives" in parts of Maine and New Hampshire that have had recent influxes of people from Massachusetts call people from Massachusetts Mass holes.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:37 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Me and my family might move to North Carolina in a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City