U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM

2,969 posts, read 1,798,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
West Indian Parade.
Ding Ding Ding!

The overwhelming majority of people go to the parade to have fun, and there are always a handful there to take advantage of the big crowds (easy to disappear into) and/or semi drunk partiers. It always starts the day before the parade.

I think the thread's already been hijaked though.

To the OP, I'm sorry you had this experience. I hope they catch the robbers and get your stuff back.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,193,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustinoff View Post
Three guys came out of nowhere and robbed me right on the platform. One punched me in the stomach and then asked me for my money and watch. I gave it to him and they ran. This was at 230 or so I just got back from the police station Be careful
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm glad you were not seriously injured.

Last edited by NYChistorygal; 09-05-2011 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 PM
zdg

761 posts, read 964,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Ding Ding Ding!

To the OP, I'm sorry you had this experience. I hope they catch the robbers and get your stuff back.
You're totally right; my bad.

My apologies to OP. I certainly didn't mean to change the subject. That sucks that you got robbed. I had my stuff taken multiple times in Austin and I remember how angry I was every single time it happened. My best friend got mugged in North Carolina and it was all we talked about for weeks. Not fun.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:51 PM

423 posts, read 742,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Ding Ding Ding!

The overwhelming majority of people go to the parade to have fun, and there are always a handful there to take advantage of the big crowds (easy to disappear into) and/or semi drunk partiers. It always starts the day before the parade.

Yup. One only needs to take a glance of the gothamist newsmap to see the impact the parade has on Brooklyn. The areas around Eastern Parkway are very, very active right now.

News Map: Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events

Old 09-05-2011, 06:57 PM

4,496 posts, read 3,430,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
That all sounds good, but look at the facts. Look at any other first world nation on Earth that makes it near impossible for you to own a gun and see if they have illegal-gun crimes in line with what you'd expect.

Canadians have one-TENTH the chance of being a gun-related homicide victim and the English have one-HUNDREDTH the chance. Those are facts.

The Japanese have only one gun-related homicide per capita for ever THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THREE per capita in America. That per capita, so we're not talking raw data.

This gets into a whole different discussion on people and societies. Different kinds of people act differently. Different cultures. In America, we have a lot of illegal guns on the streets. More than any of the countries you mentioned. If there weren't as many as there are, again, I'd agree with you. But that's not how it is. So my point still stands.

If you have theories/ideas about how to rid the streets of illegal guns, I'm all ears.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:58 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,010,438 times
A suggestion for the future: wait at the token booth, or designated waiting areas! If something does happen to you, then you can get quick assistance. I'm sorry that this has happened to you!

I will not debate the topic of any right to or not to possess firearms!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 PM

8,254 posts, read 7,097,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
I love nyc, but people do have the right to self defence, with a gun if needed...
Tell that do Liberal, once Republican now independent Mike Bloomberg, you would raise his blood pressure if you said that to him in his face.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:01 PM

4,847 posts, read 4,910,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Yes.

Nothing says "safe" like needing a hand cannon to check your own mail.

Enjoy the wild west.
I am enjoying the wild west.
....where crooks think twice before mugging somebody.

I'm not wishing harm on you because your not doing anything that warrants that.
You have your opinion, and my NRA-self perserving are where mine are.
HOWEVER....

Suppose you came home and a man had a knife to your wife's throat and you didn't have a gun.
What would you do?
Reason with him?
I'm not a criminal. I passed a thorough federal backround check.
The law says I can carry a weapon concealed.
I do.
...and so does my wife--so the above situation would never happen that easily, because she's armed.

In the event anti-gun people are attacked, they would probably call 911 and hide in the bathroom. In other words, those kind of people exhibit typical prey behavior. When given the fight or flight option, they will choose flight. The running-away-from-problem mentality unfortunately solves nothing.
Further analyzing the minds of the anti-gun people, I would say that their flight response is emotion/instinct based, rather than a logical/intelligent response*. Which further solidifies my belief that that the anti-gun people are simply at the bottom of the social hierarchy (Followers, dependent on others, etc}

Why do police carry guns?
To protect THEMSELVES.
Not you.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:07 PM

8,254 posts, read 7,097,350 times
Damn that sucks you got robbed, I remember a friend of mines who got robbed at knife point behind the back by four Jamaican guys in Manhattan. They took everything. Criminals are like customers they are always shopping for thier next target to victimize and you probably fitted thier target. Crime happens everywhere in this city, from Wall Street to poor areas. Sorry you had to experience that, if it was me I would move to a society that is a gun touting one, I dont know why NYC newbiews leave gun loving societys for a non gun society! Either way anyone can be a victim of crime in both or yet even worse!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-05-2011 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,925,260 times
I am sorry that happened to you. Thank God they did not harm you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City