U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 PM

315 posts, read 375,180 times
Default Looking for jobs in NYC! Any advice?

Hey guys! It's me again. After going through the previous thread I made, I realized that I should find a job before stepping into NYC territory. I must prepare for battle. I've applied to just 4 places this past week so I think I'll contact these places in 2-3 weeks to make sure they reviewed my resume.
So basically I just graduated with a degree in Anthropology and Interdisciplinary Studies: Social Sciences, I speak Spanish, and I have experience in Customer Service...my resume is pretty crappy but also good! I know Microsoft Word and Excel and yadda yadda yadda. Do you think my chances are high? I am a determined person!! Haha... I stated in my resume that I will be relocating to NYC in the meantime so I hope they are not thrown off by me living in FL currently. Anyone that is there already have ideas where to look? I've been looking at museums for the most part but I need to broaden my search. Thanks in advance everyone!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 12:34 PM

1,123 posts, read 1,693,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
Hey guys! It's me again. After going through the previous thread I made, I realized that I should find a job before stepping into NYC territory. I must prepare for battle. I've applied to just 4 places this past week so I think I'll contact these places in 2-3 weeks to make sure they reviewed my resume.
So basically I just graduated with a degree in Anthropology and Interdisciplinary Studies: Social Sciences, I speak Spanish, and I have experience in Customer Service...my resume is pretty crappy but also good! I know Microsoft Word and Excel and yadda yadda yadda. Do you think my chances are high? I am a determined person!! Haha... I stated in my resume that I will be relocating to NYC in the meantime so I hope they are not thrown off by me living in FL currently. Anyone that is there already have ideas where to look? I've been looking at museums for the most part but I need to broaden my search. Thanks in advance everyone!
It's gonna be tough...especially since you're a new grad. The overall job market is picking up SLIGHTLY, but the competition for jobs here is still pretty fierce.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM

84 posts, read 135,783 times
what kinds of jobs are you applying for? when you say your resume is crappy but good... what do you mean?

Old 09-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancieNolan View Post
what kinds of jobs are you applying for? when you say your resume is crappy but good... what do you mean?

Well, I've been applying to museums as a Visitor Service Rep, they need people with customer service skills and with my degree I think it's possible..I am also looking at entry-level jobs, willing to work in any field. And I say my resume is kinda crappy because I only have retail experience. But with retail experience comes experience with public interaction, working in a fast-paced environment etc.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
It's gonna be tough...especially since you're a new grad. The overall job market is picking up SLIGHTLY, but the competition for jobs here is still pretty fierce.
But I'M fierce!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:39 PM

931 posts, read 896,618 times
Actually, one of the most marketable things you mentioned is the fact you speak Spanish. Do you speak it fluently? I have seen a good amount of openings for administrative and sales positions where it is a requirement in addition to a degree. Perhaps you should seek out these kinds of opportunities, even though they aren't exactly what you went to school for. It could at least help you gain a foothold in the NYC job market so you could justify relocating. However, I don't believe you'd have a great deal of luck without having a NYC address on your resume. Do you have friends or family members that would be willing to let you use their address until you are situated there? NYC employers tend not to hire outside of the local market and it would improve your odds.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:10 PM

161 posts, read 211,641 times
If your Spanish is fluent, you might want to pursue an entry level Case Manager position. Just search for "case manager" on craigslist in the non-profit category. Lots of these agencies are willing to hire new grads (high turnover rate, so always needing new candidates)...what might work against you is your unfamiliarity with NYC as you would be expected to visit clients throughout the boros and refer them to community resources. I second what EastBound said- get an NYC address on your resume.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM

Meeeh.. Yeah I speak Spanish, not the greatest (I'm not a native speaker) However, I've lived in Argentina for almost a year and I talk to my cousins that live there regularly. =)
I put in my CV that I am relocating to NYC and Im willing to travel at my own expense for an interview. In the meantime I am available for a telephone interview..I don't think it should matter where I am. Many people apply out-of-state and relocate!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM

931 posts, read 896,618 times
That is fine that you want to pursue your search that way. But I would just completely avoid letting employers know you're out of state. You'd be better off just scheduling the interviews, using a NYC address, and avoiding the subject. No one wants the liability of a transplant who hasn't even moved yet. Think about it- what is so special about you that they could not find in the local job market? You are entry-level in a bad economy, that is the reality. If you were specialized and experienced in a better market your approach would make more sense. Better to just say you're available to start in a week and not even enter it into the discussion.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 09-06-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
That is fine that you want to pursue your search that way. But I would just completely avoid letting employers know you're out of state. You'd be better off just scheduling the interviews, using a NYC address, and avoiding the subject. No one wants the liability of a transplant who hasn't even moved yet. Think about it- what is so special about you that they could not find in the local job market? You are entry-level in a bad economy, that is the reality. If you were specialized and experienced in a better market your approach would make more sense. Better to just say you're available to start in a week and not even enter it into the discussion.
You have a point...I am just one of the many college grads looking for work over there. Do you think it would make a difference though if I actually called them in 2-3 weeks about my resume? I know sooo many people that don't do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City