Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:22 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
And your gonna need it.. good luck to you and your family:

Gunman kills 3, wounds 6 at Nevada IHOP - CNN.com

Be sure to carry it with you to check the mail too...and don't forget the bullet proof vests. I guess it's the price you pay for safety!
Horrible story.
It's all over the news here.
CLEARLY nobody in that IHOP had a weapon.

Oh wait a sec....one guy had one....and look what he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Yes..if only the other 75 people all had guns....and all opened fire in a mass shooting spree..clearly that would have ended far better...it happens all the time! Using your logic, the fear that everyone did have guns should have prevented this from happening right?

Good luck dude...cuz you gonna need it!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:44 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
"You call this a PANCAKE?"

Last words heard before 93 people were killed in a hale of bullets. Blood and syrup was splattered everywhere.
THe NRA said that if only ALL of the 122 people in the restaurant were armed instead of only 104 of them, this carnage would never have happened.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:48 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Lol...and let's not forget: "I said I wanted my eggs over medium" ....cue the spray of bullets.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM

58 posts, read 117,612 times
You guys are just being silly now and grasping at straws

Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Let's say that 10% of deranged psychotics are carrying guns. Do we really want to increase this number tenfold?

Do we want every teenager carrying a handgun on the subway?
teenagers cant get permits and neither can deranged psychos in nyc. plus they are probley carrying already illegally .... in fact any blemish on your record no matter how small will get you denied in nyc from even a residence permit.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-06-2011 at 04:50 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 04:05 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If I run away from a guy with a knife or a bat, I stand a much better chance getting away unscathed rather than running from a criminal with good aim.
i didnt want to get to into this but ill just give the layman out there a little primer.

that statement above is very wrong, statistically very few shots even at close range hit their targets. the odds of you running from a guy shooting at you and getting clear away unscathed is very very high.

for anyone who is interested in reading about the real deal and what actually went down in incidents across the country read stress fire by ayoob massad.

even when hit most folks dont know they have been hit.

folks its not like you see on tv. you can pump an amazing amount of 9mm or .380 rounds into a bad guy and they wont stop their attack. in fact a shot right in the heart will still allow a bad guy to live long enough to cover a 20 ft span and hack or stab you to death, its been done .

good combat technique has you imagining a 20 ft circle and anything within that circle is unstoppble short of a head or spine shot ,basically you stand a better chance hitting the lottary than that shot.your main target area with someone with a hand weapon is the pelvic area. its the biggest target and if you shatter it then mechanically the attack ends.

dont forget once that pucker factor kicks in you lose you fine motor skills. tying your shoes is near impossible. hitting a target moving at you trying to kill you is difficult with training to say the least.

even pro's like swat have problems.

ever wonder why on tv swat teams make all that noise yelling when they storm a house?

tunnel vision sets in, you are so focused on what your doing you cant hear or see things around you. by making loud noises you break the effect of tunnel vision setting in .
there is no magic stopper in bullets, they only give you a distance edge.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-06-2011 at 05:00 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 04:07 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Like I said, every country should have nuclear weapons, cuz it will make us all safer!
I don't know about every country in the world but during the cold war between us and the former USSR, both having massive nuclear arsenals, did keep us safe. Remember, it was called MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction). It keep us both in check.

At first I wasn't too clear on your nuclear weapons vs. guns analogy but I see it clearly now.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:07 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
All of you mouthbreathers so vehemently against legal gun ownership are throwing out some ridiculously wild assumptions. You're assuming that every single person would apply for and be able to possess a firearm legally. You're assuming that we are strictly talking about concealed carrying permits, which nobody is. You're assuming that folks who would get the right to a concealed weapon would be a fvckin drunken cowboy.

Take a couple of breathes and think about what you type sometimes. Please.

Last edited by availableusername; 09-06-2011 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 04:11 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
I'm gonna go ahead and quote myself from the other thread that got locked. Surpisingly, the momo I was talking to never really responded back:

Quote:
If it were at all ever possible to completely rid the country of all guns, what you are saying makes sense and I agree. However it is not possible. There will always be illegal guns on the street for as long as guns exist. So that being said, why shouldn't a person be allowed to legally arm themselves, through parameters that can be discussed further, to protect their homes and loved ones from said illegal guns? Is a homicide of an innocent person by an illegal gun not as significant to you as a homicide of a robber or rapist? Because that is how it comes off when you only allow illegal guns to be rampant...

Last edited by availableusername; 09-06-2011 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City