Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:07 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Of course (thinking intuitively) here ..... if red areas indicate a high level of incarcerations, then those areas should actually be the safest and have the lowest crime rates, since the criminals are already locked up.

I'm just sayin' .....
The funniest part is in NYC, you can shoot someone and be out the next day. The Bronx for example has the lowest conviction rate in the USA. What a fair world we live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 03:12 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
I've heard the Bronx has the most unsolved murder cases in America,is that true?

Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I've heard the Bronx has the most unsolved murder cases in America,is that true?
I would not be surprised. In the Bronx, normally only about 50% of the murders are solved in the same year. It adds up over time. Many precincts have hundreds of unsolved murders. They get reopened often but a lot of the suspects are long gone. Either disappeared, overdosed, or killed themselves. Sometimes people die years later from wounds. The more time that passes, the less likely they are to be solved.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I would not be surprised. In the Bronx, normally only about 50% of the murders are solved in the same year. It adds up over time. Many precincts have hundreds of unsolved murders. They get reopened often but a lot of the suspects are long gone. Either disappeared, overdosed, or killed themselves. Sometimes people die years later from wounds. The more time that passes, the less likely they are to be solved.
Yeah,and again because of the high population of NYC,its harder to solve the homicides that happen in a year.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 11,692 times
Default Crime in Brooklyn

I'm not sure I understand the incarceration rate graphic. Does that mean there are more incarcerations in those areas because there are more prisons in those areas?

Also, you keep talking about Brooklyn north and crime in the area. I live in Crown Heights. My wife and I are white, and we live in a predominantly black area. In the three years we have lived here we have never felt unsafe. Maybe a little uncomfortable because we'd never been "minorities" before. But never unsafe. There have been shootings and murders in our area. The vast majority of those have involved people who had some sort of relationship - drugs, money, love, whatever. I have only heard of one innocent bystander who was shot (not fatally) because she tried to stop her grandson's attacker. I also believe that if you act like a victim, you will become one. I think attitude is everything. If you treat people the way you want to be treated I think you'll find you'll get along just fine. I love living in NYC, and Brooklyn in particular. We've been here 10 years now, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:07 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosweed View Post
I'm not sure I understand the incarceration rate graphic. Does that mean there are more incarcerations in those areas because there are more prisons in those areas?
It represents the those who are incarcerated based on the areas they live. Meaning that a resident from Bk. North has a higher chance of being incarcerated than someone from Bk. South, for whatever reasons.

What the chart doesn't explain is the reason why they were incarcerated.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosweed View Post
The areas with the red are the home locations of a large number of incarcerated individuals. The brighter the red, the more individuals. That means a lot of people are always getting locked up in those areas. That means a lot of crimes are being commited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
It represents the those who are incarcerated based on the areas they live. Meaning that a resident from Bk. North has a higher chance of being incarcerated than someone from Bk. South, for whatever reasons.

What the chart doesn't explain is the reason why they were incarcerated.
For expenditures to be that high in those areas, people need to be doing time. Either a few months or a few years. You don't do time in NYC for petty crime. Our prisons are too overloaded and our legal system is a joke. It's a cycle. A revolving door. Everyone doing time right now was caught with either significant drugs, weapons or commited a violent crime(s). Only exception is burglary.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
Quote:
The areas with the red are the home locations of a large number of incarcerated individuals. The brighter the red, the more individuals. That means a lot of people are always getting locked up in those areas. That means a lot of crimes are being commited.

For expenditures to be that high in those areas, people need to be doing time. Either a few months or a few years. You don't do time in NYC for petty crime. Our prisons are too overloaded and our legal system is a joke. It's a cycle. A revolving door. Everyone doing time right now was caught with either significant drugs, weapons or commited a violent crime(s). Only exception is burglary.

Is there any way to remedy that? Build more prisons?

Old 08-19-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Is there any way to remedy that? Build more prisons?
It's a choice.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:39 PM

8 posts, read 26,936 times
Quote:
Might not be?

Here are things the public does not realize.

1. Precinct commands. Captains, DI's, ect have to report to Compstat meetings. At these meetings they must stand at podium and litterly get chewed up by higher ups. Obviously this is done to encourage the fudging of crime statistics.

2. These CO's come back to their precincts and "encourage" their men to ****can, downgrade and reclassify crimes.

3. Cops get payed way too little, we don't give a **** and do it to avoid getting chewed up by our boses

Compstat is crap.

Hustla, have you ever seen HBO's The Wire? They address a lot of these issues, and I was wondering what your take on the show was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City