Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
How the hell are these out-of-state folks getting these good paying jobs???
I dont understand how. It pisses me off sometime. I guess alot of employers are being selective. A tenant at my job who works in a hr position told me new yorkers complain to much compared to out of towners. I also heard about some guy that in his office he is the only new yorker left. I wonder how nyers are making out in rustbelt, sunbelt and biblebelt compared to the locals that live there. I guess being a transplant is a hot thing now especially in this recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,869,022 times
I would think if anything it's more easier to get a job outside of New York City now, especially with all the competition here.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,460,959 times
Quote:
lol, that's what i've been saying for 20 yrs.

manhattan is 70% midwest & new england

Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I would think if anything it's more easier to get a job outside of New York City now, especially with all the competition here.
Its more easier for us to get a job outside of new york city but its more easier for out of towners to get a job in nyc. I wonder if this is true.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:06 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,840,879 times
Try NEWPORT in Jersey City...right on the Hudson. The PATH train commute into the City (World Trade Center) is a 6 minute ride and an easy walk into Tribeca. If you give up a breathtaking view of Manhattan you can get a nice BIG one bedroom for under $2 g's. If you are a good negotiator you might get WELL below $2 G's.

It's a nice safe place with far better shopping than you can get in New York.

You can do it without a car very easily.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 PM

31 posts, read 69,734 times
I expect you will have as much trouble finding an apartment in November as you will finding a pan handler in the subway. In fact, I expect you will get a better deal because it is the start of the slow season.

In the 14 years I've lived here I have never used a broker or had a problem finding an apartment. There is no shortage of studios that rent for $2000+. I suspect you may be having trouble finding a place now because you are looking too early. Apartments that are available for Nov. 1 will not come on the market until after Oct. 1, when the prior tenant tells the landlord they are not renewing.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:55 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,840,879 times
tss,
How would you define the "slow season" in rentals? Nov-Dec? or Nov-Dec-Jan?

Quote:
In the 14 years I've lived here I have never used a broker or had a problem finding an apartment.
What is your technique?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 AM

129 posts, read 372,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottMAN98405cc View Post
i noticed the same thing...its amazing on every out of towner or illegal worker can get a job very easy yet people that live in NYC and is legal to work has a near impossible battle of finding any kind of employment in these very though times
That is a bit presumptious of you.

Have you thought that maybe the out-of-towner is just more qualified? Or is better candidate? Maybe he/she has a graduate degree? Maybe exceeded in a previous job? Maybe networked very well.

Your argument is cute - but unfortunately isn't very thoughtful

Old 09-14-2011, 05:53 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,692,342 times
Quote:

They're getting good jobs in highly competitive fields because they get their experience OUTSIDE of the city first. In many fields (advertising, fashion, finance, journalism, law, for example) NYC is the center, the end-all and be-all, so employers will only hire the best and most experienced people who've proven themselves somewhere else and shown that they're ready to step up to the big time. Top companies in New York have their choice of hiring anyone in the country because so many want to come here. Your competition isn't local in NY. It's national and sometimes even international. So sometimes you have to leave New York City and make your mark before you can come back and find a great job here.

Ironic thing is that many NYers with a six figure salary would know in a heratbeat where to live, and how to live well, while the out-of-towners struggle to make ends meet with that money because they don't know what we do about neighborhoods, where to shop, how to save money etc.

Last edited by citylove101; 09-14-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 PM

241 posts, read 589,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King

Try NEWPORT in Jersey City...

It's a nice safe place with far better shopping than you can get in New York.

You can do it without a car very easily.
Yes, Newport is very nice, and if I have to recommend a place in NJ, Newport would be it. Mall. Grocery store. Target. Very convenient. Great access to the PATH or the Light Rail. You can do it without a car very easily, very easy commute. But if you're saving on rent, I'd consider getting a car. My temp housing is here now, and I think Jersey City is built for cars. So much parking. So easy... www.newportnj.com (these apartments are more expensive because they have Manhattan views. purrtty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101
Ironic thing is that many NYers with a six figure salary would know in a heratbeat where to live, and how to live well, while the out-of-towners struggle to make ends meet with that money because they don't know what we do about neighborhoods, where to shop, how to save money etc.

umm..... that really just begs the question "would you share?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City