U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:39 PM

15 posts, read 43,598 times

Advertisements

hi there, i got a job offer in nyc and was wondering if it is a good time to work in nyc. industry is advertising / marketing. my starting salary is 95K. is that enough to rent an apartment solo? thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 PM

16,213 posts, read 18,679,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potentially moving View Post
hi there, i got a job offer in nyc and was wondering if it is a good time to work in nyc. industry is advertising / marketing. my starting salary is 95K. is that enough to rent an apartment solo? thank you.
Alot of people are moving to NYC because of Jobs and the ease of living like having everything around you and to rent or buy a canteen Apt for 2k, and at the sametime alot of people are also moving out of NYC aswell for affordablity, jobs, and to own a Mcmansion, the recession is bad all over the country, every is milk and honey and prosperity and everywhere is not! But good job on getting a 95k salary, damn I wish I can get a salary like that so I can be a Yuppie! Yeah it is good enough for an APT solo.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:48 PM

thanks Bronxguyanese. really appreciate it.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentially moving View Post
thanks Bronxguyanese. really appreciate it.
What area of the city you planning on moving too?

Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 PM

900 posts, read 2,046,702 times
Welcome to New York!

Now just walk swiftly and don't get in the way.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,730,065 times
Since your field is marketing/advertising you'd really be a dolt not to accept a job in NYC. It's the center of the that field's universe and when they say Madison Avenue they aren't talking about the one in Wisconsin. Even if you decide to leave, having NYC on your resume will probably give you a leg up as compared to say Houston or wherever the hell else the demons of marketing and advertising toil.

$95K is pretty decent for a single person in NYC and can actually go quite far if you were to find a place in Queens(I assume you'd be working in Midtown but could be wrong) and commute into Manhattan.

NYC is doing fairly well compared to many other cities in America and Bx has a point about the ease of living. Ditch you car and ride the subway and hoof it cause it looks like these gas prices are here to stay

Old 09-10-2011, 01:00 AM

900 posts, read 2,046,702 times
Yeah, and just live below your means and bank baby bank.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Yeah, and just live below your means and bank baby bank.
You mean invest, baby invest, buy sell, chicks these days are digging guys with hedge funds!

Old 09-10-2011, 05:39 AM

21,474 posts, read 28,350,128 times
If you gain any influence in your field, PLEASE kill the GEICO gekko.

(Yes, 95K will provide a nice Manhatttan life if you don't blow it all on the apartment.)

Old 09-10-2011, 12:13 PM

Thanks guys. I am really excited about the job opportunity - the office is in Tribeca (!!!) and they are a good bunch of ppl. I certainly do not want to blow the money on rent but i would like to live comfortably. I'm also the sort of person who likes to save and live within my means.. In terms of neighborhoods, I am thinking Brooklyn or lower manhattan area depending on $.

What is the best way to find an apartment if you are currently out of town... providing documents should not be an issue. Any good websites to review apartments? (aside from craigslist, naked apartment, kijiji and ebay).

cheers
s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City