Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 AM

19 posts, read 67,587 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job on the horizon in CT, but would really rather stay in NYC as opposed to moving there. I know that the quickest way to CT from NYC is Metro-North from Grand Central, but I'm not sure whether it would be affordable for me to live near GC.

I know the Metro North line to Stamford stops in Harlem and in the Bronx. Does anyone know of a decent place in the Bronx that would be near the train? I haven't really checked that area out. I know the Bronx generally has a bad reputation, but I'm sure that can't be true of the whole borough..?

Thanks for any help on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 10:35 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
The only New Haven line stop in the Bronx is Fordham since I think the trains go express. You could live in the Pelham Parkway area and just hop on the 12 bus to 3rd Ave & Fordham Road and catch the train from there.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
There are actually a lot of nice neighborhoods in The Bronx but most of them are not directly on the metro north line that goes to Stamford.. Even some of the decent neighborhoods that are directly on the New Haven line,like Bedford Park and Woodlawn might necessitate a backtracking so speak.Woodlawn and Bedford Park both have metro north stops but because you would be reverse commuting you might have to backtrack to the Fordham stop( 1 or 2 stops South) and then switch to a North bound train.This might add 10 or 15 mins to your commute.
There are also neighborhoods like Pelham Parkway and Morris Park where you would take a city bus to the Fordham metro north station.
Pelham Bay is also a nice area where you can get a bus to the New Rochelle metro North Station and then a quick train to Stamford.
You should go to The Metro North website and check the schedules from Fordham Rd,Botanical Garden(Bedford Park) and Woodlawn to Stamford during the hours/days you would be commuting to get an idea of whether you would have to do the backtrack thing and how long the whole commute would take.You might actually find a few trains that pick up at those stops going to Stamford so you wouldn't have to backtrack.I don't know.
The Bx 12 bus from my neighborhood to the Fordham metro north station is only about 10 mins and it runs very frequently.
You might also want to check out the B line bus schedule between Pelham Bay and New Rochelle and the metro north schedule from there to Stamford.
Riverdale is on the Hudson metro north line and would get pretty complicated.

Rents in most of these neighborhoods are around 900 or so for a studio,1,100 for a 1 br,1,300 or so for a 2 br.This would be for a largish apartment in a decent elevator building with super and laundry in the building.Walk -up type places and tenements buildings would be less.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-10-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 01:47 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
I live in Bedford Park and visit friends in Connecticut pretty frequently. We walk to the metro north at Fordham - the walk is 15-20 min depending on how fast you walk and would be farther if you live in the western part of the neighborhood. We don't go at peak hours, and most of the trains into Fordham seem to be local at that time- maybe it's different at rush hour. The express trains are much faster. If the logistics work for you, I think Bedford Park is a nice choice - it's convenient, attractive and has a lot of open space.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
To the OP:

Does your place necessarily have to be in the 5 boroughs? Maybe if you moved to say, New Rochelle, you can find a decent deal on an apartment and still be within a reasonable distance of Manhattan (either a bus ride to the subway or Metro-North to Grand Central)

One thing to note is that the Pelham Parkway neighborhood has the Bee-Line 60, 61, and 62 buses that go to the New Rochelle station, so it will save you a little bit of money (and possibly time, depending on the section of the neighborhood you live in) to go to New Rochelle rather than Fordham.

And yeah, Pelham Bay has the BL-45 bus to New Rochelle as well.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:32 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
The Little Italy of the Bronx is in walking distance of the Metro North station and is a nice neighborhood to live. Lots of Forham University students live off compus and the Italian American ciommunity is still present there. I'm also in the process of moving to Fordhan Road area becaue I see the Bronx as the next undiscovered area in the City. The rents are reasonable and the areas around Fordham are equal to Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood yet much less expensive to live. I grew up in Bedford Park and that area is okay as well.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:06 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I dunno if the Melrose Metro-North Stop is on that line, or how frequently it runs, however it might be worth considering. It is the epicenter of the affordable housing initiative and the entire neighborhood has been rebuilt, literally brick by brick. There are dense new 5 story developments as well as new 2 and 3 family homes...here are some examples all within a few blocks of eachother and of the Melrose Metro-North:

Make Northrose your home for superior living in the heart of the Bronx | NORTHROSE - The Residences
St. Ann's Terrace Apartments
Via Verde
YourNabe.com > Archives > Bronx > 323 new units

There are others on the way..but these are the ones being marketed right now. I don't know what your requirements are, but the area is definitely in a major transition with alot of gleaming new housing, but still very limited amenities/nightlife.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I dunno if the Melrose Metro-North Stop is on that line, or how frequently it runs, however it might be worth considering. It is the epicenter of the affordable housing initiative and the entire neighborhood has been rebuilt, literally brick by brick. There are dense new 5 story developments as well as new 2 and 3 family homes...here are some examples all within a few blocks of eachother and of the Melrose Metro-North:

Make Northrose your home for superior living in the heart of the Bronx | NORTHROSE - The Residences
St. Ann's Terrace Apartments
Via Verde
YourNabe.com > Archives > Bronx > 323 new units

There are others on the way..but these are the ones being marketed right now. I don't know what your requirements are, but the area is definitely in a major transition with alot of gleaming new housing, but still very limited amenities/nightlife.
Service is very infrequent at Melrose. First off, only Harlem Line trains stop there: New Haven Line trains bypass it, so already he has to transfer.

Second of all, service there is every 2 hours. He'd be better off by Fordham because he has better Metro-North service.

Of course, he could take a bus up to Fordham (the Bx15/55 or Bx41. Whichever is closer to his home) and then catch Metro-North from there, but it's easier to have a direct ride.

Some trains bypass Fordham, so in some cases, it might be better to go to New Rochelle for a train (or better yet, just live in New Rochelle and have a cheaper train fare)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City