Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:58 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times

Advertisements

First off undocumented immigrants generally do pay taxes unless they are paid their wages in cash. Most illegal workers will obtain fake social security numbers and will be put on the payroll. So their taxes will be withheld just like everyone else.

Secondly yes there are some IRA type bars up here in Woodlawn, however they are in the minority. I think it was 2 months ago where the local dancehall/club actually had some Sinn Fein big whig holding a political rally where he was talking about the situation in the North. I didn't go, but there were posters plastered everywhere in the neighborhood. In most of these bars, I as an Irish-American, don't feel particularly welcome in, but in the other 3/4s of the bars in the Woodlawn/Yonkers area its great. Its like in Cheers (
YouTube - Cheers Theme Song - season 7 , sorry I couldn't resist), where everybody knows everybody else, and everyone has a good time.

I don't see what the big deal is here. The white population in the Bronx is miniscule. Its getting close to 10% these days. We need our own neighborhood. Blacks and Hispanics already have all but a half a dozen neighborhoods in the Bronx. Why can't white people have their own neighborhood in the Bronx? If this neighborhood turns non-white 30years down the road them I'm leaving.

I've lived in non-white neighborhoods in the past, rough spots next to housing projects, and I've never felt safe in these neighborhoods. By being the only white guy on the street it was like having a great big bulls-eye on my back. Any type of random hoodlum or hood-rat on the block would be looking to f'k around with me because I was white. A couple of times people would even curse me out just for being white, even though I didn't do anything but walk down the street. I haven't heard of any black or spanish guy taking a beating or get cursed out in the neighborhood, so whats the big deal?

I'm not too concerned though. Woodlawn is one of the most tight-knit neighborhoods in the city. Its a great area to live and raise your kids. Even the local K-8 public school is pretty good, and this is one of only maybe 5-10 public schools in the Bronx that can claim to be halfway decent. Its an almost completely safe neighborhood, with plenty to do and the rents are affordable, which is an anamoly in NYC.

Why should anyone living here want this situation to change? Things can only get worse if outsiders are let in. But its not a big deal. More Irish are coming over as we speak and a lot of the younger ones I know in the area are settling down and having kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
Yes Mead, I do know what you mean about the street hassles. I don't usually have a problem, but my b/f occasionally does. Just today a large black woman was standing on Fordham and Jerome begging for change. My b/f passed by without giving her anything and she said: mother***** white scum. He turned around and of course she averted her eyes. Most of these characters would never have the nerve to say it to your face. I had to laugh because here's a woman begging for change and she's calling him scum as if he's obliged to give her money because he's white. We ain't all rich, not by a long shot...

About a week or two ago my b/f was again walking on Fordham and some guy muttered as he walked by dirty white m/f or something to that effect.

I think some people target whites in the area thinking that they will be guilted into giving change. Again, the other day a black, well fed woman (who was not a bum) sidled up to my b/f and touched his shoulder and said..."Can you spare some change for me to get some...um...um...food? He had both hands full with grocery bags at the time too. Guess he should have stopped and given her a bag...

I understand that some people fear yuppies moving in, but my Jewish peeps were in this area way before this. But there are enough jerks of all colors in this world to go around. As my b/f says, just don't put yer hands on me...

Nevertheless, I consider this area to be a piece of cake compared to many parts of Manhattan back in the bad old days. The majority of people I encounter are very nice, and if someone looks at me funny, hey, I have a right to live here too. IMO Manhattan has turned into a three ring circus of another kind. But back in the day some folks did a lot more than look at you funny or ask for a quarter--in Manhattan that is.

As I said, I don't think there will be too many complaints if the Irish come back in larger numbers to the Bronx. I'd feel "better" if more of them stayed and went through the legal process of immigrating permanently--somehow I feel like some would much rather be back home but economics makes it necessary for them to come here for awhile. But one reason the rents remain low, I suspect, is because folks there rent to their own. But hey...whatever...gotta do what you gotta do...things are getting ugly all over now that NYC is so popular again.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:07 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Elvira--I have a friend from Pa whose last name is Black who is Irish. Are you?(just curious)

Old 10-11-2007, 07:08 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
No, rirl, Elvira Black is not my real name. My mom was Jewish and my dad was from Arkansas, and his family line goes waaaay back.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,920 times
Do you really believe an infusion of dominicans and blacks will improve Woodlawn?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 PM

19 posts, read 35,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Lewis View Post
Do you really believe an infusion of dominicans and blacks will improve Woodlawn?
Dragging up a 5 year old thread for that comment?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Lewis View Post
Hell no...leave it the way it is. Woodlawn is totally fine as is. There's nothing to "improve" in Woodlawn. There are more than enough dominicans and blacks in the Bronx that have infiltrated and corrupted formerly desirable neighborhoods that we don't need one of the last "untouched" neighborhood to turn ghetto. Nice troll post by the way...lol

Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Whats so good about change anyways? If non-Irish people move into the neighborhood all of the white people will leave for some random suburb/exurb. White people in NYC don't integrate. PERIOD. Have you people completely missed what happend to the Bronx and the rest of the tri-state area over the past 50 years?
So what happened to areas like Morris Park & Throgs Neck? They're well-integrated and they don't have any problems.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:40 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times
Traditionally the Irish have been very accepting of other cultures, given the abuse they suffered from the English for centuries. Ireland today is very open and they don't care what culture you come from, as long as you respect the law and treat people the way you would want to be treated. There are some idiots in Woodlawn, but in general, if you act respectfully and properly, NO ONE will bother you. Not sure this is the case in other parts of the Bronx. Just saying.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:05 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Wow what a crock of total SH%%. The Irish were probably the worst at tolerating anyone, and that was because they were stuck at the bottom for so long. They tormented everyone..the Jews, the Italians, especially the Blacks and Hispanics. I mean how can you even utter the words tolerance and Irish? Really?

There is a reason why Woodlawn is still 99% Irish, and it's not because they "tolerate" anyone and everyone, it's because they DON'T tolerate anyone who is not Irish. The bartenders and crowd in Woodlawn make it a point to make "outsiders" uncomfortable..they don't want you there and they have no qualms with saying so, to your face or otherwise. I go there every so often because it has the best bar scene in the Bronx, but the locals kepe to themselves and have no interest in "outsiders." Anyone who tells you otherwise, like Webster Ave Guy, is either purposely lieing or doesn't know anything about the nabe. The fact that they keep getting the natives from Ireland makes the area less friendly to outsiders, not more...the newbies come with the "fighting" mentality towards anyone who "doesn't belong."\

But don't take my word for it, try renting an apt if you are black or hispanic, better yet, try walking in the area being "different"...or worse...be black or hispanic and holding hands with a white woman....be prepared for verbal harassment and probable epic street fight. Tolerance indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City