Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:34 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,648,739 times

Advertisements

I saw the layout. It looks nice. I wonder what type of tenants willl take place in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 07:38 PM

5,511 posts, read 8,714,084 times
Conde Nast will take 1 million sq ft. That's a very good start.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM

88,220 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Also Vantone, a Chinese Realty firm.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:49 PM

I think it would be nice for some life science and bio industries should be tentants. I don't think it should only accomadate financial firms.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I think it would be nice for some life science and bio industries should be tentants. I don't think it should only accomadate financial firms.

The old WTC did not only accommodate financial firms. Not that you said that, but I find there's a general belief amongst some that that's what was there. I think that perception comes from the fact that a lot of people who died worked for the big-bucks trading firms, and there is a logical explanation for that.

Higher floors with unobstructed views commanded a higher rent per s.f. Firms like Cantor Fitzgerald, AON, Marsh & McLellan, etc., were the types of firms that could afford the high floors, and far more people from the high floors above the impact zones died.

I worked for years on 51 in tower One. Across the hall was a company that published fertilizer manuals for farmers, not the type of tenant one would usually associate with the WTC.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The old WTC did not only accommodate financial firms. Not that you said that, but I find there's a general belief amongst some that that's what was there. I think that perception comes from the fact that a lot of people who died worked for the big-bucks trading firms, and there is a logical explanation for that.

Higher floors with unobstructed views commanded a higher rent per s.f. Firms like Cantor Fitzgerald, AON, Marsh & McLellan, etc., were the types of firms that could afford the high floors, and far more people from the high floors above the impact zones died.

I worked for years on 51 in tower One. Across the hall was a company that published fertilizer manuals for farmers, not the type of tenant one would usually associate with the WTC.
I believe there were also engineering firms.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I believe there were also engineering firms.
Yes, the Washington Group, for one. They lost a number of people.

There were also a lot of international shipping company offices, import/export firms, etc., which fit in with the original idea of World Trade. I remember law firms. Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield was in there on one of the lower floors.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 PM

143 posts, read 297,716 times
Quote:
Yes, the Washington Group, for one. They lost a number of people.

There were also a lot of international shipping company offices, import/export firms, etc., which fit in with the original idea of World Trade. I remember law firms. Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield was in there on one of the lower floors.
Hearing the names of these tenants brings it all back. Odd how raw one's emotions can still be even after all these years. I didn't work at the Towers but being in finance, I was there often enough for business functions, workshops and seminars.

I remember how it felt going up the elevators, how it made you kind of queasy (it went that fast), how the entire floor swayed when it was windy, and how it looked in the evening hours with the lights all lit up and looking at the view of Manhattan from the office windows. I remember the huge lobby as well with the incredible amount of foot traffic during rush hour & the huge escalators going every which way & how if you weren't careful or fast, it felt like you could literally be run over by the masses of people walking to & fro.

I also remember at the time, I really wasn't all that fond of the place. Certain things about it, the fact that it was so vast and full of people and confusing with all these different elevator banks and security made it somewhat of a hassle. Plus, I was there for work so I had a suit on and heels and in a rush to get to where I had to go. But I now find myself missing it terribly.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilSkies View Post
Hearing the names of these tenants brings it all back. Odd how raw one's emotions can still be even after all these years. I didn't work at the Towers but being in finance, I was there often enough for business functions, workshops and seminars.

I remember how it felt going up the elevators, how it made you kind of queasy (it went that fast), how the entire floor swayed when it was windy, and how it looked in the evening hours with the lights all lit up and looking at the view of Manhattan from the office windows. I remember the huge lobby as well with the incredible amount of foot traffic during rush hour & the huge escalators going every which way & how if you weren't careful or fast, it felt like you could literally be run over by the masses of people walking to & fro.

I also remember at the time, I really wasn't all that fond of the place. Certain things about it, the fact that it was so vast and full of people and confusing with all these different elevator banks and security made it somewhat of a hassle. Plus, I was there for work so I had a suit on and heels and in a rush to get to where I had to go. But I now find myself missing it terribly.
Nice description! Thanks for posting that. I worked there for 19 years. I also miss it terribly--it was hard to voice my sadness for the buildings themselves after 9/11 with all the loss of life, but there was also a sort of homesickness amongst us for the place where we spent such a large chunk of our days. I can close my eyes and take a tour of the WTC in my mind.

About three years ago I had occasion to go up to the 42nd floor of Silverstein's building that replaced the Salomon Brothers building (7 WTC). I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to see the city from that POV again. One of these days I'm going to get up into the new One WTC, and I can't wait. I feared that I would be uncomfortable in such a tall building again, and I was relieved to find out that I loved it, instead.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,474,804 times
Quote:
Nice description! Thanks for posting that. I worked there for 19 years. I also miss it terribly--it was hard to voice my sadness for the buildings themselves after 9/11 with all the loss of life, but there was also a sort of homesickness amongst us for the place where we spent such a large chunk of our days. I can close my eyes and take a tour of the WTC in my mind.

About three years ago I had occasion to go up to the 42nd floor of Silverstein's building that replaced the Salomon Brothers building (7 WTC). I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to see the city from that POV again. One of these days I'm going to get up into the new One WTC, and I can't wait. I feared that I would be uncomfortable in such a tall building again, and I was relieved to find out that I loved it, instead.

I so agree. I started working in Manhattan at an office building downtown, 225 Broadway, and it was so close to the towers and I used to spend a ton of time there. Used to shop in the concourse all the time, absolutely loved Borders.

I really miss the towers. I know it wouldn't make sense to put them back, but I really am not feeling this new "Freedom Tower".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City