U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2011, 10:29 AM

21 posts, read 30,840 times

Advertisements

I know there's a million threads on this area but I have a few questions. I'm going to be living in that little area between Bedford park Blvd, moshulo, webster and Briggs...a long as I stay confined to this area should I be OK (I'm a home body)? What would be my best foot route home when I get off the d train at Bedford park Blvd? Should I walk along Bedford park Blvd or take a side street like 201? I could be coming home anywhere from 630pm - 800pm. Also, I work in an office in midtown and have to wear office attire, will I stick out like a soar thumb or are there other professionals who live in this area? The times I've visited this area it seemed pretty decent by Bronx standards but when I asked a lady who lives in my building if this was an OK area she looked at me like I was crazy. She also said I should always watch my back when entering my building so I'm guessing things get pretty crazy at night. Also, come to find out my building may have a mice and Roach problem which is another story but still disheartening. I decided to move to Bedford park because I was living with family members and my living situation was messed up (but I was living in a good area in queens) and I needed my own space and this was all I could afford as far as studios in buildings go. My family is very upset that I moved to Bedford park and I feel like I may have rushed to a decision but I'll just have to see how it goes. Its not like I'm stuck here so if I feel threatened or if something happens to me I wont hesitate to break my lease and move back with the fam temporarily. My only real worries are being mugged or getting into it with local knuckle heads because I still look fairly young and have a street look/feel about me (so I'm told). So is this the type of area where you're like a prisoner of your own home?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 PM

6,602 posts, read 11,370,320 times
How far is it from the subway to your building,like 2 blocks?I think you will be fine.I have a friend who lives on Decatur in the block just North of Bedford Park Blvd and he has never experienced any problems with the neighborhood.I think there are more "professionals " around there than you think.
I looked at a few Co Ops in that neighborhood myself and spent time around there at night,etc when trying to analyze the neighborhood.I didn't see anything scary.It can be pretty nice actually.

So many Ny'ers are afraid of The Bronx and a lot have never been to or have any idea of what they are talking about.There are a lot of scarier places in Brooklyn,Queens and Manhattan than Bedford Park.

Maybe Yodel will see this thread and respond to reassure you some more.She lives in the neighborhood too.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM

578 posts, read 895,141 times
To the OP, you should be fine in that area. There are PLENTY of places in NYC way worse than Bedford Park that professionals and transplants actually flock to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

So many Ny'ers are afraid of The Bronx and a lot have never been to or have any idea of what they are talking about.There are a lot of scarier places in Brooklyn,Queens and Manhattan than Bedford Park.
Exactly.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:39 PM

Yes I was born and raised in Queens and my family is one of those families that rather have to move from apartment to apartment in a better area (because they can't make rent) than have to live in a lower income area. My family and I have all lived in the same neighborhood since the early 80's (or maybe even before) and if I counted the number of apartments we all have lived in I'd imagine it would be over 30 or 40 lol

but anyway thanks for your responses.... @bluedog I'm about 5 blocks north of the concourse and from what I've read on this forum I'm in that little pocket that's a pretty decent area. I'm just worried about getting home should I ever get home late, since bedford park is surrounded by some bad areas. What would be the best way to catch a cab once i get off the d train at bedford park blvd, if i ever felt the need to?

hopefully by this time next year I'll be making more money and would be able to move back to Queens....also, the robbery stats for the 52 precinct are pretty alarming but someone actually attempted to rob me at gun point in my own safe neighborhood in Queens not too long ago so it is what it is

Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 PM

also, the management company offered me another apartment in east Harlem around 146 and 7th avenue if i remember correctly....would I have been better off there, area wise? The precinct stats seem a lot better in that area compared to the 52nd but I didn't like the looks of the building and I was told the apartment wasn't that great so I passed on it

Old 09-12-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford Park Transplant View Post
Yes I was born and raised in Queens and my family is one of those families that rather have to move from apartment to apartment in a better area (because they can't make rent) than have to live in a lower income area. My family and I have all lived in the same neighborhood since the early 80's (or maybe even before) and if I counted the number of apartments we all have lived in I'd imagine it would be over 30 or 40 lol

but anyway thanks for your responses.... @bluedog I'm about 5 blocks north of the concourse and from what I've read on this forum I'm in that little pocket that's a pretty decent area. I'm just worried about getting home should I ever get home late, since bedford park is surrounded by some bad areas. What would be the best way to catch a cab once i get off the d train at bedford park blvd, if i ever felt the need to?

hopefully by this time next year I'll be making more money and would be able to move back to Queens....also, the robbery stats for the 52 precinct are pretty alarming but someone actually attempted to rob me at gun point in my own safe neighborhood in Queens not too long ago so it is what it is

If you don't mind telling,what block or intersection are you on ? The Concourse runs North/South so if you live 5 blocks North of the Concourse(it ends at Mosholu Parkway) you would be way up by Gun Hill Road rather than near Bedford Park Boulevard.

I ask only because generally it is below Bedford Park Blvd that is the not so good neighborhood.It's not that Bedford Park is "surrounded" by bad neighborhoods. Generally,North of the Bedford Park Blvd/Grand Concourse intersection is ok,including the area North/East of Mosholu Parkway.

The Grand Concourse between Bedford Park Blvd and Mosholu Parkway and the neighborhood to the East towards Webster is mostly single or two family houses and Co Op apartment buildings.Pretty safe area in there.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
also, the management company offered me another apartment in east Harlem around 146 and 7th avenue if i remember correctly....would I have been better off there, area wise? The precinct stats seem a lot better in that area compared to the 52nd but I didn't like the looks of the building and I was told the apartment wasn't that great so I passed on it
In this case you shouldn't be alarmed at the stats because the 52nd precinct covers a lot of neighborhoods and some of them are really bad but your area of Bedford Park is not one of them.The bad parts of the precinct are South of Bedford Park Boulevard,especially South of Fordham Rd and over to University Heights.

In reality,the part of Bedford Park you are in is much,much nicer and has a lower crime rate than 7th ave and 146th St.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:09 PM

@bluedog

I'm on 201st and Marion

thanks for clarifying some things....again I'm not really concerned with my immediate area from what I saw...I'm more concerned with getting home from the train station...what is the best route? Since Bedford Park blvd is the borderline that separates my area from the higher crime area...is it wise to walk the blvd at night?

edit:

the lady who looked at me like i was crazy when i asked her if the area was ok also said a lady in the building was a victim of a push in robbery (that's why she told me to watch my back when entering the building) but I didn't ask her how long ago that happened.

Last edited by Bedford Park Transplant; 09-12-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 02:14 PM

as far as getting home from the train would I be better off going up bedford park boulevard, going up 201 st, or going around and walking up e mosholu parkway south? And is there a gypsy cab dispatch place anywhere near the train station on the concourse?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
@bluedog

I'm on 201st and Marion

thanks for clarifying some things....again I'm not really concerned with my immediate area from what I saw...I'm more concerned with getting home from the train station...what is the best route? Since Bedford Park blvd is the borderline that separates my area from the higher crime area...is it wise to walk the blvd at night?
Really,you should check each route out yourself and see which one you feel better on.Yes,Bedford Park Blvd is a bit of a line but it's not like they are getting shot at on one side but not on the other.It just kind of gets worse the further South you go from there.I'd rather live right on Bedford Park Blvd or even a block or two South than on 194th or 195th st. Get it?

Also,Bedford Park Blvd is a busier street with a crosstown bus and shops,etc so it could be more comfortable for you than a totally residential street.You will have to decide.

At 201 and Marion you are almost equidistant from the last stop on the D at 205th St so you could also check out that walk and see if that is better.It's really nice along Mosholu Parkway .You could walk along Bainbridge across Mosholu to 201 St .

Since you live on Marion/201 you are also very close to the Botanical Garden metro north stop.Maybe even closer than either subway stop.Like 2 blocks ? It's only 20 mins to Grand Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City